An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Talked To Reverend Mother...

In The Arms of The Lord

In The Arms of The Lord

I talked to Reverend Mother this morning to let her know I received her letter. I will be entering after the morning Mass on December 12th; so that will be 9:00am. They are having another entrance November 21st. When I enter there will be 5 postulants! Isn't that wonderful? I thought i'd also share with everyone a little bit of the entrance ceremony: After Mass I will go with my parents to see the priest, who then will take us to the enclosure door. I will receive a blessing from my parents and Father. Then I will enter and be taken to change into the postulant dress and veil and go to the Chapel with the community (where we will be of course behind the grille.) My parents will be able to be in the chapel as well to hear all that is going on. I will pray a consecration prayer to Our Blessed Mother and a prayer of thanksgiving for all graces received, and hymns being sung as well. Then the community and I will go to the speak room where I get to see my parents and they are able to meet the community also.

I'm very excited and I really could not imagine anywhere else I should be. I experience some anxiety with the deep joy, but I know from experience and guidance not to analyze my feelings so much. Afterall, there will be a nervousness that comes from making a sacrifice, especially when one gives all their comforts, pleasures, and really all that one has come to know so well; but I think one would agree with me when I say that when you have experienced His love for you, you will be consumed with a longing that is beyond all else to give yourself without measure to the One who has given Himself first for you. What is needed is trust and a willingness to surrender. This is a surrender that needs to be made each moment. I remember throughout my discernment there were times of great doubts about my vocation and confusion about what I needed to do. This was a cause of frustration many of times, but through prayer and grace I came to know that I was looking so much at myself and not at Him who has given me so much and has given Himself to me to be my All. Often times I must have forgotten that though receiving grace upon grace, He has given us a free will and will not force us at all to accept what He has given. Perhaps in my heart I wanted Him to force me to give myself, despite the reluctance I had to surrender so many times. I then came to realize and to be thankful for the free will He has given to me; that I may freely choose to love Him above all else. What a beautiful gift. It is comforting to know that I will be entering Our Blessed Mother's Order and to be consecrated to Her; for She desires so much that we love Jesus and that His will be accomplished. Who better to help us then the one who has done this most perfectly.

Edited by In The Arms of The Lord

How beautiful! and what better day than the feast of OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE! Your thoughts/words mean alot to those of us who are discerning!:)
What order will you be entering?(im sorry im new here not to mention i have a bad memory);)

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='Klaudi87' timestamp='1289241985' post='2185799']
How beautiful! and what better day than the feast of OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE! Your thoughts/words mean alot to those of us who are discerning!:)
What order will you be entering?(im sorry im new here not to mention i have a bad memory);)
[/quote]

Thank you! I was hoping that sharing my reflections would be helpful for others. Isn't that a great day to enter?!!??! Mother said she thought it would be good to start my new life under the protection of Our Lady of Guadalupe. I'll be enter the Discalced Carmelite monastery in Elysburg, PA.

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' timestamp='1289254657' post='2185853']
Thank you! I was hoping that sharing my reflections would be helpful for others. Isn't that a great day to enter?!!??! Mother said she thought it would be good to start my new life under the protection of Our Lady of Guadalupe. I'll be enter the Discalced Carmelite monastery in Elysburg, PA.
[/quote]

That is an excellent day to enter! Being a mexican-american, Im a big fan of Our Lady of Guadalupe! LOL :) Seems like a wonderful order not to mention you'll have the Traditional Latin Mass. I will put you in my prayers!

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' timestamp='1289233514' post='2185773']
I talked to Reverend Mother this morning to let her know I received her letter. I will be entering after the morning Mass on December 12th; so that will be 9:00am. They are having another entrance November 21st. When I enter there will be 5 postulants! Isn't that wonderful? I thought i'd also share with everyone a little bit of the entrance ceremony: After Mass I will go with my parents to see the priest, who then will take us to the enclosure door. I will receive a blessing from my parents and Father. Then I will enter and be taken to change into the postulant dress and veil and go to the Chapel with the community (where we will be of course behind the grille.) My parents will be able to be in the chapel as well to hear all that is going on. I will pray a consecration prayer to Our Blessed Mother and a prayer of thanksgiving for all graces received, and hymns being sung as well. Then the community and I will go to the speak room where I get to see my parents and they are able to meet the community also.

I'm very excited and I really could not imagine anywhere else I should be. I experience some anxiety with the deep joy, but I know from experience and guidance not to analyze my feelings so much. Afterall, there will be a nervousness that comes from making a sacrifice, especially when one gives all their comforts, pleasures, and really all that one has come to know so well; but I think one would agree with me when I say that when you have experienced His love for you, you will be consumed with a longing that is beyond all else to give yourself without measure to the One who has given Himself first for you. What is needed is trust and a willingness to surrender. This is a surrender that needs to be made each moment. I remember throughout my discernment there were times of great doubts about my vocation and confusion about what I needed to do. This was a cause of frustration many of times, but through prayer and grace I came to know that I was looking so much at myself and not at Him who has given me so much and has given Himself to me to be my All. Often times I must have forgotten that though receiving grace upon grace, He has given us a free will and will not force us at all to accept what He has given. Perhaps in my heart I wanted Him to force me to give myself, despite the reluctance I had to surrender so many times. I then came to realize and to be thankful for the free will He has given to me; that I may freely choose to love Him above all else. What a beautiful gift. It is comforting to know that I will be entering Our Blessed Mother's Order and to be consecrated to Her; for She desires so much that we love Jesus and that His will be accomplished. Who better to help us then the one who has done this most perfectly.
[/quote]

What all did you have to do to enter? If you dont mind me asking?

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='carmelite15' timestamp='1289265199' post='2185910']
What all did you have to do to enter? If you dont mind me asking?
[/quote]

First I went for a 4 day visit and talked often with Reverend Mother during my stay; there were certain times during the day where I would meet with her in the parlor. At some point I told her I would like to continue my discernment with them, and she agreed that I should. So then before I left she gave me the application. The application was quite simple:

1. I needed to write a letter in which I ask to enter the Monastery. (The way I put it together was so that it consisted of asking entrance to be a member of their community, a little about my desire to become a Carmelite nun, and asking to enter of my own free will and relying upon His grace alone. I thought this was simple enough, and that way I didn't make it sound so much like an autobiography of myself.)

2. A copy of my Baptism and Confirmation certificates. (But when I enter I need to bring with me the original ones also.)

3. A letter of recommendation from a priest or spiritual director. (I wasn't able to find a spiritual director, but my Parish priest offered to meet with me once a month to help me. It may be helpful if he is your confessor also.)

4. A medical form filled out by me and a physician and signed by him. (The part I had to fill out was yes and no questions about my past and present health, a record of vaccinations, and some about your family history of health.)

There was no psychological testing I had to do, but part of the physical for the doctor was a little neuropsychiatric examination.

Edited to add: When you get an acceptance letter, with it you will get a list of things you need to bring with you.

Wonderful! Thanks for posting! :harp:

The entrance ceremony sounds beautiful! And I like that the family gets to see you again and meet the whole community afterward. In some Carmels you do not get to meet with your family in the parlor until the next time they visit. So the last time they see you is when you're walking through the enclosure door! :blowkiss: And in others, you do get to visit with your family a bit before they leave, but the whole community doesn't come out.

I have a copy I got off eBay of the OCD Nuns Ceremonial from 1932 and there is nothing in there on the entrance ceremony .. So it looks like each Carmel can do things a little different here. And different here too is that you enter in your secular clothes and change into your postulant dress inside.

Question .. do you know what particular hymns they might be singing as you enter/or after you say that consecration prayer? I have heard of a couple different ones here and there on different sites/forums online. Anyway, it sounds so beautiful! It will be a blessed day indeed!

[img]http://saltandlighttv.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/our-lady-of-guadalupe.jpg[/img]

Edited by Chiquitunga

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' timestamp='1289314263' post='2185966']
First I went for a 4 day visit and talked often with Reverend Mother during my stay; there were certain times during the day where I would meet with her in the parlor. At some point I told her I would like to continue my discernment with them, and she agreed that I should. So then before I left she gave me the application. The application was quite simple:

1. I needed to write a letter in which I ask to enter the Monastery. (The way I put it together was so that it consisted of asking entrance to be a member of their community, a little about my desire to become a Carmelite nun, and asking to enter of my own free will and relying upon His grace alone. I thought this was simple enough, and that way I didn't make it sound so much like an autobiography of myself.)

2. A copy of my Baptism and Confirmation certificates. (But when I enter I need to bring with me the original ones also.)

3. A letter of recommendation from a priest or spiritual director. (I wasn't able to find a spiritual director, but my Parish priest offered to meet with me once a month to help me. It may be helpful if he is your confessor also.)

4. A medical form filled out by me and a physician and signed by him. (The part I had to fill out was yes and no questions about my past and present health, a record of vaccinations, and some about your family history of health.)

There was no psychological testing I had to do, but part of the physical for the doctor was a little neuropsychiatric examination.

Edited to add: When you get an acceptance letter, with it you will get a list of things you need to bring with you.
[/quote]

First let me say sorry becasue if I came off being mean my sister said I was, I am so sorry if I was! But thank you so much for letting me know about this your so wonderful. OH! there was one more thing when does it come up about how for you got in school? can you just do high school?

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1289320852' post='2185989']
Wonderful! Thanks for posting! :harp:

The entrance ceremony sounds beautiful! And I like that the family gets to see you again and meet the whole community afterward. In some Carmels you do not get to meet with your family in the parlor until the next time they visit. So the last time they see you is when you're walking through the enclosure door! :blowkiss: And in others, you do get to visit with your family a bit before they leave, but the whole community doesn't come out.

I have a copy I got off eBay of the OCD Nuns Ceremonial from 1932 and there is nothing in there on the entrance ceremony .. So it looks like each Carmel can do things a little different here. And different here too is that you enter in your secular clothes and change into your postulant dress inside.

Question .. do you know what particular hymns they might be singing as you enter/or after you say that consecration prayer? I have heard of a couple different ones here and there on different sites/forums online. Anyway, it sounds so beautiful! It will be a blessed day indeed!

[img]http://saltandlighttv.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/our-lady-of-guadalupe.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Thank you, Chiquitunga! That photo is beautiful, isn't it? They have a very large image of Her is the Chapel. I think I have a copy of it in the album of the Elysburg Carmel I posted on here a while ago. I thought it was great too that my parents will get to meet the whole community also. This is all so exciting. I do believe also that family that visit may take pictures in the parlor, but they don't want the pictures posted online or anywhere else public. I think, if I read it correctly on the contact paper she sent for my family, that pictures of clothing ceremonies (reception of the habit, and solemn profession) will be sent to the family, but like the parlor pictures, they don't want them shared outside of the family.

She didn't say any particular hymn, or what the consecration prayer will be, but she said the Magnificat will be said (maybe sung.) If I think to ask when I talk to her again, I will let you know! I'm excited to find out before I leave also. I think I was so excited after her telling me about the entrance ceremony, I was too thrilled to ask anything else. :love:

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='carmelite15' timestamp='1289331235' post='2186001']
First let me say sorry becasue if I came off being mean my sister said I was, I am so sorry if I was! But thank you so much for letting me know about this your so wonderful. OH! there was one more thing when does it come up about how for you got in school? can you just do high school?
[/quote]

Hello Brandee! I didn't think that at all; you certainly didn't come off as mean. :)

Thinking about the application; there wasn't anything on there that asked. She did ask about my education when I met with her. High school is required, with most communities it will be, and some require also at least 2 years of work experience. I was homeschooled for the last three years of highschool, so she did want a copy of my diploma.