An Old School Catholic Message Board

Former Stripper And Lapdancer Turned Nun

Deusdedit

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1289495175' post='2186477']
I'm not sure what's up with the removing the veil and the make-up... but maybe it's best if we ascribe the best possible intentions for this sister. Like we said, we [i]don't[/i] the circumstances. There could be a reason for it. And it could be that she was asked to do it by her superior. I know some communities require the sisters to "pluck" and use acne cream, if those are issues. Maybe this community has asked its sisters to wear make-up. I don't know. But I wouldn't want to immediately go and say this sister is only "half-committed" or something like that. We don't know the circumstances behind all of this.
[/quote]

You are right, in fact I think she is completely genuine and honest in her committment and I like very much her story.
Surely she does the make up with the permission of her superiors and the same is for the veil.
I think it is not a fact of personal choice but of specific charism of the order, and this is what I found a little odd.
But their charism is to "be witnesses of Christ in the work environment through, in first place, the experience of the work itself".
So, since sr. Anna is a dance teacher it can appear normal that she does make up, as I think it is usual to do with dancers, actresses etc.
I'm sorry if the thread turned into a criticism of her intentions for my fault.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1289495175' post='2186477']
I'm not sure what's up with the removing the veil and the make-up... but maybe it's best if we ascribe the best possible intentions for this sister. Like we said, we [i]don't[/i] the circumstances. There could be a reason for it. And it could be that she was asked to do it by her superior. I know some communities require the sisters to "pluck" and use acne cream, if those are issues. Maybe this community has asked its sisters to wear make-up. I don't know. But I wouldn't want to immediately go and say this sister is only "half-committed" or something like that. We don't know the circumstances behind all of this.
[/quote]

i think you're right. well we don't know what's behind. im sorry for my harsh comments.

I don'e mean to talk negative of these sister as Teresa Benedicta brought up a good point we don't know......though im wondering what would be the point of that? (plucking and cream for zits)....honestly what comes to my mind is the saint who used to rub her face with mud to hide her beauty and she wasnt even a religious at the time ( I think it was St. Rose of Lima) But this isin't to compare or anythng I mean again i don't know what their motives are.

LaPetiteSoeur

As a friend to a ballerina, I can tell you makeup is a must on stage, especially when it is in a large theatre. Otherwise, the face looks literally pale because of the lights....so it might be because of where she is performing. I'm sure there is a reason for this.

And anyway, we should rejoice that she dedicated her life to the Lord and turned away from her former life! One more soul saved!

Dieu vous benisse!

[quote name='Klaudi87' timestamp='1289527824' post='2186586'] what would be the point of that? (plucking and cream for zits)....
[/quote]

I think from the perspective of communities that do this, acne is a health issue, and Sisters should use medicine to treat it the same way they would any other health issue. Plucking eyebrows is the same ... some people get ingrown hair if they don't pluck!

There is also the wish for Sisters to be "becoming" of their state in life. The Church says what Sister's wear should be "becoming." Not pretty. But "becoming," appropriate for the dignity of their vocation. In that case ,something that makes a Sister look childish (acne) or untidy and unkempt (a unabrow!) would be dealt with.

I have also heard the reason given that religious life is countercultural and unusual enough that Sisters feel an obligation not to make it seem unnecessarily weird or strange. So Sisters take care of themselves so as to not cause an unnecessary stumbling block for people.

Wow!!
Life sometimes is really strange and mysterious things happen!
Last night I dreamt about a sister friend of mine (whom I haven't seen in a long time), and today seeing one of the video Deusdedit posted, I saw my friend and the video of her story in the related links that appear at the end of youtube videos!!!!!
but after the vision of the video, when I logged in again, it disappeared and now I can't no longer see it!
Really strange coincidences and funny jokes happen when internet and religious persons are involved!!! :)

Edited by organwerke

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1289565975' post='2186692']
I think from the perspective of communities that do this, acne is a health issue, and Sisters should use medicine to treat it the same way they would any other health issue. Plucking eyebrows is the same ... some people get ingrown hair if they don't pluck!

There is also the wish for Sisters to be "becoming" of their state in life. The Church says what Sister's wear should be "becoming." Not pretty. But "becoming," appropriate for the dignity of their vocation. In that case ,something that makes a Sister look childish (acne) or untidy and unkempt (a unabrow!) would be dealt with.

I have also heard the reason given that religious life is countercultural and unusual enough that Sisters feel an obligation not to make it seem unnecessarily weird or strange. So Sisters take care of themselves so as to not cause an unnecessary stumbling block for people.
[/quote]

Oh ok I see :)