An Old School Catholic Message Board

Married Protestant Ministers Who Convert

fides quarens intellectum

fides quarens intellectum

Why is it that if a Pentecostal minister who happens to be married converts to Roman Catholicism, he may not be ordained to the priesthood, but only the diaconate, so long as his wife is still living, but if an Anglican minister who happens to be married converts to Roman Catholicism, he may be ordained to the priesthood? I'm not looking for reasoning on why a married man can become a Roman Catholic priest, but more on the differentiation Rome is making between Anglicans and other Protestant sects.

Thanks!

It really varies from situation to situation depending on which denomination he was apart, for the prudence of the local bishop, and the nature of his previous ministry.

The Anglican question is rather complicated and hotly debated. I cannot pretend to even begin to give a full answer. But I can tell you it is complicated because occasionally and previous to Henery VII some Anglican orders might be valid. Often converts are given a conditional ordination.

[b]As the apostle says and I can confirm celibate life is much better suited for ministry and preaching.[/b]