An Old School Catholic Message Board

What An Infidel Is.

add

One who is not among the[i] fideles,[/i] the faithful of Christ. Popularly the term is applied to all who reject Christianity as a divine revelation.

in order to reject it, they must have heard of it; those, therefore, who have never heard of Christianity, are not in popular language called "infideles". Nor are heretics, even Unitarians, to be called infidels, for they do not accept the religion of Christ as divinely revealed, however erroneous or fantastic their notion as to the nature of the revelation may be.

[color="#0000ff"]this original definition was found in an old book, copyrighted - February 8, 1887, titled " the Pictorial Catholic Library " with credits to Michael Augustin, archbishop of New York[/color]

[b]

[/b]isn't it interesting that the meaning of "infidel" is today is quite different than the origin meaning

One who is not among the[i] fideles,[/i] the faithful of Christ. Popularly the term is applied to all who reject Christianity as a divine revelation.
in order to reject it, they must have heard of it; those, therefore, who have never heard of Christianity, are not in popular language called infideles., but heathens, thought they are included under the theological term "infideles" Nor are heretics, even Unitarians, to be called infidels, for they do not accept the religion of Christ as divinely revealed, however erroneous or fantastic their notion as to the nature of the revelation may be.

[color="#0000ff"]this original definition was found in an old book, copyrighted - February 8, 1887, titled " the Pictorial Catholic Library " with credits to Michael Augustin, archbishop of New York[/color]

[b]

[/b]isn't it interesting that the meaning of "infidel" is today is quite different than the origin meaning

Hinter dem Horizont

It literally means "no faith". The word doesn't include WHAT faith. A person of another faith besides Christianity, such as Judaism and Islam, will call you a person of no faith.

[quote name='Hinter dem Horizont' timestamp='1290865337' post='2189534']
It literally means "no faith". The word doesn't include WHAT faith. A person of another faith besides Christianity, such as Judaism and Islam, will call you a person of no faith.
[/quote]

that is my point, it does now

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/wisper3/infidel.jpg[/img]

Hinter dem Horizont

[quote name='apparently' timestamp='1290873662' post='2189541']
that is my point, it does now

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/wisper3/infidel.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Obviously this text you got the definition from is Christian. A NON BIAS answer would be "a person of no faith". The religion should not be introduced to the answer for that creates bias.

[quote name='Hinter dem Horizont' timestamp='1291135263' post='2190028']
Obviously this text you got the definition from is Christian. A NON BIAS answer would be "a person of no faith". The religion should not be introduced to the answer for that creates bias.
[/quote]

Obviously

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1291101334' post='2189996']
Thank you, all these years and I thought Infidels were people that the communist leader of Cuba had eaten.

ed
[/quote]

was the leaders name (in)Fidel Castro?

Thank you, all these years and I thought Infidels were people that the communist leader of Cuba had eaten.

ed
[/quote]

was the leaders name (in)Fidel Castro? who was born and raised Catholic, by the way

[quote name='Hinter dem Horizont' timestamp='1291135263' post='2190028']
Obviously this text you got the definition from is Christian. A NON BIAS answer would be[color="#ff0000"] "a person of no faith"[/color]. The religion should not be introduced to the answer for that creates bias.
[/quote]

Could it not be said then that there is no such thing as an infidel since everyone has some kind of faith. Even atheist require some kind of faith in their-self to believe that there is no God or higher power...

Mark of the Cross

ed
[/quote]

I thought Infidel was when you only looked at the pretty girl and thought of betraying the missus and so it wasn't quite infidelity.

[quote name='PaladinSoG' timestamp='1291672156' post='2191298']
Could it not be said then that there is no such thing as an infidel since everyone has some kind of faith. Even atheist require some kind of faith in their-self to believe that there is no God or higher power...
[/quote]
No!

Edited by Mark of the Cross

ed
[/quote]

:lol:[font="Verdana"] Thank you for a much needed laugh today![/font]

InfinitaMisericordia

ed
[/quote]

lol

that took approximately 5 seconds for me to get [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile2.gif[/img]