An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone Have Any Pictures Of The Carmelite Nuns In Valparaiso Nebraska?

carmelite15

Old Brooklyn did use the great veil, but they stopped at some point in the nineties, shortly before they closed. Brooklyn now seems to use a short veil that barely covers their eyes as they approach the grille. Still wonderfully conservative, hope they adopt more good things from original Brooklyn, as their customs reflect more of Buffalo, another fabulous Carmel with slightly different traditions. Their nativity set and bells are from old Brooklyn!

The Carmel of the Holy Trinity, was like the Carmel of the Sacred Heart in Quievrain, founded by Archbishop Lefebvre's blood sister, Mother Marie Christianne. They are, very much, a French style Carmel... the habit and customs, etc. My preference is for the Spanish Carmels, but that's just me. There was a nice report on them in the Angelus magazine a few years ago. If I can find it, I don't know if I can post the link since it is "SSPX."

I know of no Carmelites, even the strictest Carmels, who cover their whole face anymore. The same goes for Dominican Nuns who, I understand, can still cover their eyes during meditation to preserve recollection. The strict Carmels that I know simply keep the curtain closed during a parlor visit instead of lowering the veil all the way down and opening the grille.

[quote name='Antoniette' timestamp='1293479357' post='2194650']
Old Brooklyn did use the great veil, but they stopped at some point in the nineties, shortly before they closed. Brooklyn now seems to use a short veil that barely covers their eyes as they approach the grille. Still wonderfully conservative, hope they adopt more good things from original Brooklyn, as their customs reflect more of Buffalo, another fabulous Carmel with slightly different traditions. Their nativity set and bells are from old Brooklyn!
[/quote]

Wow, neat! That is wonderful to hear about! About the veils, the Communion veil was always that way I believe, covering only half of their face so the priest could easily give them the Blessed Sacrament. But the great veil was another veil, the one worn in the parlor and at other times, like when a doctor or workmen entered the monastery, which completely covered the face. I remember seeing a picture from the book [url="http://www.amazon.com/My-Beloved-Story-Carmelite-Nun/dp/B000P6ERY4"][i]My Beloved[/i][/url] of someone visiting Mother Catherine Thomas behind the grille, and her faced was completely covered like [url="http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/Enlargement.aspx?id=HU041599&tab=details&caller=search"]this.[/url] And then I remember reading in that book that the author never saw any of the nuns' faces until she entered the enclosure! (except Reverend Mother I believe .. need to read it again soon .. it's beautiful!)

[quote name='reminiscere' timestamp='1293598775' post='2194871']
The strict Carmels that I know simply keep the curtain closed during a parlor visit instead of lowering the veil all the way down and opening the grille.[/quote]

Some of the strict Carmels I know of/have visited don't keep the curtain closed during parlor visits .. they are just behind the double grilles, but you can see their faces. Here I saved this slideshow from the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart's site of their [url="http://www.saintbenedict.com/monastery/news/129-nebraska-2010.html"]Nebraska Mission[/url] trip this past year. A few pictures of their visit to the Carmel of Jesus, Mary & Joseph start at 2 minutes and again around 3:10 (btw, I have this video as unlisted now, but soon I'm going to take it down, as I don't own it and it's not on their sight anymore, so save it while you can if you'd like)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCV1NWhfh4w

Edited by Chiquitunga

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but I was looking at this link: [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfJesusMaryJosephValparaisoNE#5101524581518736978"]https://picasaweb.go...524581518736978[/url]

Do these nuns only get 6 hours of sleep every night? Do they receive a siesta? I would like to know, because on 6 hours of sleep every night I myself will call the Bishop and get these nuns canonized after they pass. That is a very intense schedule. The Roswell PCCs I am applying to receive about 7 hours or so with the midnight praying of Matins (?), but the Sisters can go to bed right when Compline (?) is finished as opposed to reading and so gain an extra hour/half hour of Zzzs. Edit: Also, the Roswell postulants and novices do not attend Matins every night. I think the Postulant goes once a week, and I am not sure how often novices attend. Mother was very strict about my sleep when I visited. "I will see you at 5 for prayer, Mother?" "No-you are sleeping in!" That happened a lot.

If it sounds like I am worrying over this sleep thing, I am! During school, I go on 5-7 hours of sleep a night, but I could not live on that. I make up the reduced sleep during the weekends. Does your body adapt when you are in the convent, and do you gradually just need (or want) less sleep? Maybe since it is so quiet and peaceful there you don't need as much sleep time to recuperate..although nuns work pretty hard-much harder than I work in my daily life.

May God reward you for any insight or advice you have on this!

Edited by emmaberry

When I was in religious life (cloistered life) my body eventually adapted to the sleeping schedule. In fact, once I was really in the rountine I would wake up a few minutes before my alarm would go off. Don't expect to adapt right away, that usually doesn't happen...but over time the longer you are there your body should adapt to it. Also everybody is different as far as how long it make take an individual to get into the "rountine"...most communities are good about bringing you in slowly to the schedule so that its not such a blow and is much easier to get adjusted.

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346708973' post='2477975']
Old thread, but I was looking at this link: [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfJesusMaryJosephValparaisoNE#5101524581518736978"]https://picasaweb.go...524581518736978[/url]

[b]Do these nuns only get 6 hours of sleep every night? Do they receive a siesta? I would like to know, because on 6 hours of sleep every night I myself will call the Bishop and get these nuns canonized after they pass.[/b] That is a very intense schedule. The Roswell PCCs I am applying to receive about 7 hours or so with the midnight praying of Matins (?), but the Sisters can go to bed right when Compline (?) is finished as opposed to reading and so gain an extra hour/half hour of Zzzs. Edit: Also, the Roswell postulants and novices do not attend Matins every night. I think the Postulant goes once a week, and I am not sure how often novices attend. Mother was very strict about my sleep when I visited. "I will see you at 5 for prayer, Mother?" "No-you are sleeping in!" That happened a lot.

If it sounds like I am worrying over this sleep thing, I am! During school, I go on 5-7 hours of sleep a night, but I could not live on that. I make up the reduced sleep during the weekends. Does your body adapt when you are in the convent, and do you gradually just need (or want) less sleep? Maybe since it is so quiet and peaceful there you don't need as much sleep time to recuperate..although nuns work pretty hard-much harder than I work in my daily life.

May God reward you for any insight or advice you have on this!
[/quote]

:lol3:

I was worried, too, when I started discerning about the sleep schedule. My Sisters work mostly at night as hospice nurses which would work out good for me since I am a night owl. However, most schedules I saw allotted 7 hours a night. I like 9 hours a night to feel refreshed. So, you aren't the only one concerned. ;)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Here at my monastery we average about 7 hours of sleep and on nights (3x a week) we have adoration the sisters average about 6 or less depending on how quickly they fall asleep.
You DO get used to it. I was worried, too, and that is one reason why I knew I couldn't enter a monastery with the midnight office. Now I think that it is easier than adoration. At least with Office you are singing, moving a bit and with others.
It took me a long time but I did adjust. Siesta was important! But in the end it was God's grace I don't know if I could sleep 8 hours if I tried!
Also, as you get older you just need less sleep.
I used to pray a verse from the psalms as I would fall asleep: "In the morning let me know your love for I put my trust in you!" (Psalm 143)

VeniJesuAmorMi

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346708973' post='2477975']
Do these nuns only get 6 hours of sleep every night? Do they receive a siesta? [/quote]

Both in Nebraska and Elysburg (I guess we can say California now too! :) ) their schedule is 10:30 pm - 4:30 am. After noon recreation they have a one hour siesta (1:00-2:00, but before this they make a visit to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.) On Sundays they get up at 5:00 am, but I know that when a Sister is "sleeping in" she sleeps until 6:00 am and if they are sent to bed early it would be right after Compine which is 8:30 pm (then they would miss Matins which starts at 9:15 pm, but postulants and novices don't make up missed Office; only those in Vows.) They have a break between after Compine until Matins. That would be a good 40 mins. to have extra prayer or little work in your cell. Its grand silence after Compline so anything done after Compline should be very quiet.) :love:

edit: for spelling.

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

[quote name='ACS67' timestamp='1346716188' post='2478022']
What I noticed after looking at their schedule is they don't eat breakfast! :unsure:
[/quote]
I thought it said that they had a small breakfast, as the schedule said on photo 12 at '6:40 am.'

[color=#222222][font='Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]

[quote name='VeniJesuAmorMi' timestamp='1346716622' post='2478026']
Both in Nebraska and Elysburg (I guess we can say California now too! :) ) their schedule is 10:30 pm - 4:30 am. After noon recreation they have a one hour siesta (1:00-2:00, but before this they make a visit to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.) On Sundays they get up at 5:00 am, but I know that when a Sister is "sleeping in" she sleeps until 6:00 am and if they are sent to bed early it would be right after Compine which is 8:30 pm (then they would miss Matins which starts at 9:15 pm, but postulants and novices don't make up missed Office; only those in Vows.) They have a break between after Compine until Matins. That would be a good 40 mins. to have extra prayer or little work in your cell. Its grand silence after Compline so anything done after Compline should be very quiet.) :love:
[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification! Yes, on photo 13 they say 'quiet and solitude in cell.' I should've realized that was Carmel-speak for 'nap.' :P Have you discerned with them? The break between Compline and Matins seems unusual from other Carmels I have looked into-but much about the JMJ Carmels is so different in a very good way, as evidenced by all their vocations!

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1346713747' post='2478000']
Here at my monastery we average about 7 hours of sleep and on nights (3x a week) we have adoration the sisters average about 6 or less depending on how quickly they fall asleep.
You DO get used to it. I was worried, too, and that is one reason why I knew I couldn't enter a monastery with the midnight office. Now I think that it is easier than adoration. At least with Office you are singing, moving a bit and with others.
It took me a long time but I did adjust. Siesta was important! But in the end it was God's grace I don't know if I could sleep 8 hours if I tried!
I used to pray a verse from the psalms as I would fall asleep: "In the morning let me know your love for I put my trust in you!" (Psalm 143)
[/quote]
That verse is beautiful-I may start praying that as I drift off. It is good to know that the body adapts as it gets older and more used to the schedule. I have the midnight adoration hour at our local chapel, and I definitely think adoration would be more tough than the midnight office, because of the reasons you stated. It is so tough, in fact, that usually I just stay up until my hour-falling asleep and getting up to pray in adoration is difficult!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1346713303' post='2477997']
I was worried, too, when I started discerning about the sleep schedule. My Sisters work mostly at night as hospice nurses which would work out good for me since I am a night owl. However, most schedules I saw allotted 7 hours a night. I like 9 hours a night to feel refreshed. So, you aren't the only one concerned. ;)
[/quote]
That's great that you are a night owl then! Yes, sleep is one of those things that, for some people, really might inhibit you from being able to live the lifestyle. I hope this is not the case with me, or with you!

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by emmaberry

When I was in religious life this was the thing I struggled with the most -- the Sisters avg 6-7 hours of sleep and there was no siesta and not much chance at getting to bed "early" save for special permissions. It took me 3 years to get accustomed to it -- but eventually I did. It certainly helped in later years that we could obtain coffee in the morning before prayers - lack of sleep meant that morning meditation for me was mostly concentrating on keeping my eyes open! :)

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346717183' post='2478031'][font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]The break between Compline and Matins seems unusual from other Carmels I have looked into-but much about the JMJ Carmels is so different in a very good way, as evidenced by all their vocations![/font][/quote]
I've always seen this break I believe. Here's Iron Mt's schedule, [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfTheHolyCrossIronMountainMI#5053317446419842210"]https://picasaweb.go...317446419842210[/url]

Okay, so at one point not long ago there was this video chat session of a young woman who had been in Valparaiso for four years and discerned out, [url="http://praythemass.org/2012/07/a-day-life-carmelite-nun/"]http://praythemass.o...-carmelite-nun/[/url]

I was soo meaning to start a topic on VS about this!!! However, they erased the video! :( It was super hard to load though .. I almost gave up (I didn't know about it when it was live) I just left the screen open and like 10-15 minutes later it started playing, but the audio was totally out of sync with the video. Anyway, that's why I think they erased it. However, it was a wonderful talk to listen to! And oh my goodness, she was so joyful talking about the community! I think that says a lot for someone who left. She said Mother Teresa said they still consider her as family and she writes them and visits.

So she addressed this issue of sleep, and said that yes, they have that one hour Siesta in the middle of the day. She also mentioned that living in silence throughout the day was very energizing actually and she didn't feel she needed as much sleep as being out in the world. She said that was one of the biggest things to adjust to coming out .. the lack of silence!

So anyway, I took some notes while listening to do, so I will post more later. But those "Pray the Mass" people told me they may do some shows with her in the future and use a better recording/video system, and they will let me know :)

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1346713747' post='2478000']
[/quote]

I always love seeing your posts, Sister! I hope everyone in the monastery is doing well and you always have my prayers. :)

Thank you for answering. I'm trying not to let any of my own feeble worries deter me from doing God's will above all else. I know, within my heart, that He will take care of everything. :love: