An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rosaries

HopefulBride

Merry Christmas Pham!

I have a question on rosary prices. The only one of my many rosaries that I bought cost me $18 dollars (it's a cute pink one that I believe is glass – not too sure) and it's quite small compared to others that I have used. I am making some rosaries that I am hoping to sell to help me in my quest to take down my loan amount (the local catholic store owner will allow me to put some in her store) but I'm not sure what to charge. My Sister and law is suggesting $20.00 minimum donation (for all). I am thinking of asking about 15 for some of the smaller ones and 20 for the bigger ones. What do you think?

I am attaching a picture of one that I did for her (it is made of glass) Please share your thoughts on what I should charge.

[img]http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc449/HopefulBride/DSCF6098.jpg[/img]
Divine Mercy Rosary

[img]http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc449/HopefulBride/DSCF6095.jpg[/img]
St. Michael Rosary

[img]http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc449/HopefulBride/DSCF6085.jpg[/img]
jOur Lady Rosary

[img]http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc449/HopefulBride/DSCF6078.jpg[/img]
St. Benedict Rosary

Hinter dem Horizont

For the St. Benedict rosary, I'd have no problem paying 20 dollars for. Actually, I really like the cross on that one.

I think the prices you were considering are pretty good. The rosaries are very pretty! I made rosaries for the Church mission for a while and it's fun to learn how to make them. You begin to appreciate them more. :)

NovemberFourth

I think they are lovely. I would not hesitate to pay $20 for the Saint Michael one. In fact, as they are hand-made, I think your prices are very, very reasonable.

N4

:woot: divine mercy one! Id totally pay $15-$2- for that if I hadnt already been given one which is priceless not because of the materials but the meaning behind it. Edited by vee8

Chiara Francesco

Your rosaries are beautiful and the prices are right. Obviously the better quality the items are (beads, kind of links, crucifix, etc.) the more you charge.

Perhaps if you offered to sell the the PMers here you'd make some sales!

Do you make any Franciscan with the San Damiano Cross for the crucifix and plain brown beads (you know Franciscan brown and Lady Poverty!) - I'd would definitely buy one from you to help with your fundraising (as I am doing the same for myself - paying of debt so I can follow my vocation) and to have a Franciscan Rosary.

Do you make the Franciscan Crown Rosary (7 decades of the Seven Joys of Our Lady)?

IgnatiusofLoyola

Where did you find the gorgeous centers and cross/crucifixes for your Rosaries?

I don't make Rosaries, but I buy materials to make Rosaries for Vocation Station member who is now in religious life. She and her Community have already made a couple hundred British pounds from the Rosaries they have made from the beads, centers, and crucifixes I have bought them. (The Community is in England.)

I'd LOVE to send her some centers and crosses/crucifixes like those in your Rosaries. They're beautiful.

As for beads, my favorites have become crackled glass. Crackled glass can look gorgeous, but, in fact, in the U.S. is pretty inexpensive. ($3.00-$5.00 a string--less on sale.) But, everyone has different tastes in Rosary beads.

I've heard the "rule of thumb" is to charge for the Rosary at least double what the materials cost you.

If you need some names of VERY reputable Internet Rosary bead and Rosary part suppliers located in the U.S. and Canada, let me know. I will only buy the centers and crucifixes from Catholic suppliers. Not all the bead suppliers are Catholic, but they are VERY nice and helpful. As I said, all are located in the U.S. or Canada.

I love Rosary Beads so much, I have SEVEN Rosaries that others have made for me. I know, one for every day. LOL I wish I could say I was so holy I said the Rosary every day, but I'm new to the Rosary. Sometimes when I'm feeling bad, I just hold one of the Rosaries and it makes me feel better.

HopefulBride

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1293906781' post='2195719']
Your rosaries are beautiful and the prices are right. Obviously the better quality the items are (beads, kind of links, crucifix, etc.) the more you charge.

Perhaps if you offered to sell the the PMers here you'd make some sales!

Do you make any Franciscan with the San Damiano Cross for the crucifix and plain brown beads (you know Franciscan brown and Lady Poverty!) - I'd would definitely buy one from you to help with your fundraising (as I am doing the same for myself - paying of debt so I can follow my vocation) and to have a Franciscan Rosary.

Do you make the Franciscan Crown Rosary (7 decades of the Seven Joys of Our Lady)?
[/quote]

Thank you Chiara :)

I thought about selling to PMers but I'm not sure how I would do it (don't have paypal set up) perhaps they can pay as a donation in my honor......

Regarding the Franciscan and San Damiano Cross I do not have any. I have the brown beads that be needed but not the cross. I am getting ready to call my supplier and make some request (someone needs one of our lady of charity and another of our lady of mercy) I'll request some of those too. Regarding the Crown rosary I can make one if you request it. Just let me know if you are interested in one.

Pax!

HopefulBride

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1293913412' post='2195741']
Where did you find the gorgeous centers and cross/crucifixes for your Rosaries?

I don't make Rosaries, but I buy materials to make Rosaries for Vocation Station member who is now in religious life. She and her Community have already made a couple hundred British pounds from the Rosaries they have made from the beads, centers, and crucifixes I have bought them. (The Community is in England.)

I'd LOVE to send her some centers and crosses/crucifixes like those in your Rosaries. They're beautiful.

As for beads, my favorites have become crackled glass. Crackled glass can look gorgeous, but, in fact, in the U.S. is pretty inexpensive. ($3.00-$5.00 a string--less on sale.) But, everyone has different tastes in Rosary beads.

I've heard the "rule of thumb" is to charge for the Rosary at least double what the materials cost you.

If you need some names of VERY reputable Internet Rosary bead and Rosary part suppliers located in the U.S. and Canada, let me know. I will only buy the centers and crucifixes from Catholic suppliers. Not all the bead suppliers are Catholic, but they are VERY nice and helpful. As I said, all are located in the U.S. or Canada.

I love Rosary Beads so much, I have SEVEN Rosaries that others have made for me. I know, one for every day. LOL I wish I could say I was so holy I said the Rosary every day, but I'm new to the Rosary. Sometimes when I'm feeling bad, I just hold one of the Rosaries and it makes me feel better.

[/quote]

Hi Iggy,

I think I know who you are referring to (LC right?) I love her rosaries. My centers (and my beads) I got from McAllen, TX. My sister in law helped me find some really good vendors that had nice prices. I must admit though that one of the vendors is not catholic but most of his customers are catholic (understandably)

I have looked for some cracked beads and can't seem to find any that are nicely priced. I can send you the information for the supplier of the centers if you still interested (the ones you like came from the non-catholic one)

I would love to have some of your contacts for materials, just PM me the info.

Thanks!
HB

There are so many beautiful rosaries you can buy or make - in addition facilitating prayer - some are works of art. However, for me, the one I carry with me all the time is a little black one - very simple - that belonged to my grandmother. I think I have mentioned before that my parents were not practicing Catholics. The only reason I was baptized and made First Communion and Confirmation was that my mother was afraid of hurting my grandparents, who were daily Communicants. When my grandmother was dying, she gave me her old rosary. I think of her every time I use it. So family heirloom rosaries - or ones that are gifts from friends are as wonderful as new and beautiful rosaries!

Kat

When it comes to a lot of craftmanship, you will find a total cost where 50% is materials, and 50% is labor, is reasonable. I have a bad habit of just giving my rosaries away, so I'm probably not the best person to ask though.