An Old School Catholic Message Board

New

jruss

Ha! I've been lurking forever b/c I didn't feel like posting 10 times elsewhere.
Anyway, my daughter is a novice with the Nashville Dominicans. We found this site back when she was discerning, and I have lurked ever since. I used to e-mail Sr. Emmanuel also because I love Carmelite spirituality and I am a life-long buddy of St. Therese.
If anyone has any questions about ND I might be able to help.

:welcome:
My sister is a postulant with the Nashville Dominicans!
If you don't mind my asking, what is your daughter's name? I've come to know a few of them...

[quote name='coralieprincess' timestamp='1294094026' post='2196263']
I do actually have a question about the ND's.. I am wondering about the rules for letter-writing/visits. There is a woman in my life who is like a mother to me.. I'm actually closer to her than to my biological parents, and she has all but adopted me legally. I share everything with her, especially about my spiritual life. My parents and I are not that close, and they are pretty much atheists so I can't talk to them about religion at all. So given all that, do you know if she would be considered "family" or "friend" when it comes to writing letters, visits, etc..? Because as far as I'm concerned, she's family in every sense of the word except biological, and I would like to be able to maintain contact with her more strongly than just as a friend - would that be possible, do you think?

Thanks so much!
[/quote]

Letter writing the first year is to anyone (except single males) 2 times a month. (But not in advent or lent)
4 visiting days (friends could come with your family or use 1 or more of your days instead of your family)
5 day home visit.

Novice year-- only 1 letter a month to family (but Sr. Mary Angela has let them write again if there are 5 Sundays). Friend mail only at Christmas or special occasions
3 visiting days (again-- friends could use some of them or come with family)

Afterwards-- I believe the letters go back to 2 times a month to family only (pretty sure on that). Friend mail at Christmas, birthdays, feasts etc.
6 visiting days

Home visits resume after 5 years in religious life.

The sisters are [b]very [/b]understanding and could possibly allow family rules for your friend. If not you could, at a minimum, write each other 2 or 3 times per year I'm guessing. She could visit, or you could call her during one of your visiting days with your family's cell phone.

Sister Mary Emily could tell you for sure though.

[quote name='MarisStella' timestamp='1294095406' post='2196267']
My sister is a postulant with the Nashville Dominicans!
If you don't mind my asking, what is your daughter's name? I've come to know a few of them...
[/quote]

Sister Angela Marie

I'm kind of bad with names... :blush: but I think I have met her!
(I may have even seen your family at the last visiting day! ;))

I do actually have a question about the ND's.. I am wondering about the rules for letter-writing/visits. There is a woman in my life who is like a mother to me.. I'm actually closer to her than to my biological parents, and she has all but adopted me legally. I share everything with her, especially about my spiritual life. My parents and I are not that close, and they are pretty much atheists so I can't talk to them about religion at all. So given all that, do you know if she would be considered "family" or "friend" when it comes to writing letters, visits, etc..? Because as far as I'm concerned, she's family in every sense of the word except biological, and I would like to be able to maintain contact with her more strongly than just as a friend - would that be possible, do you think?

Thanks so much!
[/quote]

:o I totally could have written that myself.

I wonder if you tell them she is your spiritual director and you will write to her in place of family, they would allow?

[quote name='jruss' timestamp='1294091830' post='2196256']

If anyone has any questions about ND I might be able to help.
[/quote]

Where's Nashville and why would anyone want to be a Dominican??? :P

dominicansoul

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1294099731' post='2196296']

[/quote]

:bash: vee

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1294099905' post='2196299']
:bash: vee
[/quote]

DS :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

My fond memories of the Nashville Dominicans consisted of emailing, getting a reply saying fill out the inquiry form on their site and ...never hearing from them again!

Edited by vee8

MissScripture

Thanks so much!
[/quote]
I think you would just need to explain your situation, and they may give you permission to write to her as family. I think, to some extent, it's kind of an honor thing, since it's not like they have family trees of all the Sisters and check all the outgoing letters to make sure they are only family on those Sundays. (But of course, just check it with them. ;) ) As jruss said, they're very understanding. It's not like you're in prison.

[quote name='jruss' timestamp='1294095567' post='2196269']
Letter writing the first year is to anyone (except single males) 2 times a month. (But not in advent or lent)
4 visiting days (friends could come with your family or use 1 or more of your days instead of your family)
5 day home visit.

Novice year-- only 1 letter a month to family (but Sr. Mary Angela has let them write again if there are 5 Sundays). Friend mail only at Christmas or special occasions
3 visiting days (again-- friends could use some of them or come with family)

Afterwards-- I believe the letters go back to 2 times a month to family only (pretty sure on that). Friend mail at Christmas, birthdays, feasts etc.
6 visiting days

Home visits resume after 5 years in religious life.

The sisters are [b]very [/b]understanding and could possibly allow family rules for your friend. If not you could, at a minimum, write each other 2 or 3 times per year I'm guessing. She could visit, or you could call her during one of your visiting days with your family's cell phone.

Sister Mary Emily could tell you for sure though.
[/quote]
GAH! My sister is a postulant this year. I totally did not realize the letter writing was also restricted next year! (I probably heard it, but blocked it, because I didn't want to think about it!) I guess it will just make each letter that much more special! And I didn't realize it was that long until home visits, again! (Then again, it takes me longer to drive home, than to fly to Nashville...)

And just for clarification: Do the six visit days come into play the 2nd year as novices (so the 3rd year they are there)?

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1294099731' post='2196296']

[/quote]

VEE! What are you doing! Dominicanation!

GAH! My sister is a postulant this year. I totally did not realize the letter writing was also restricted next year! (I probably heard it, but blocked it, because I didn't want to think about it!) I guess it will just make each letter that much more special! And I didn't realize it was that long until home visits, again! (Then again, it takes me longer to drive home, than to fly to Nashville...)

And just for clarification: Do the six visit days come into play the 2nd year as novices (so the 3rd year they are there)?

The 3rd year (1st year black veil)

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1294139788' post='2196489']
VEE! What are you doing! Dominicanation!
[/quote]

Im asking questions :saint:

Dont worry jruss you dont have to answer those Im just being silly. On a more serious note though I came across this quote in My Belovedf by Mother Catherine Thomas that speaks beautifully about mothers and daughters on page 63 "As I look back now, I can say—and I'm sure my dear mother
would now say the same—no daughter is nearer her mother than
the one she has given to God."

I would guess that the same applies to spiritual as well as biological mother daughter relationships. As we know from the life of Padre Pio, who had the guardian angels of his spiritual children visit him with questions, we can send our angels to those we love and so that is what I do. When I cannot be near my loved ones I tell my angel to give them a hug for me. I know angels are pure spirit so they arent going to get a physical hug but maybe there will be some spiritual consolation. I also tell their own angel to take extra care, as if he needs to be told! I also keep my focus on eternity where although we will enjoy the beatific vision, and have all the angels and saints around as well, but we will still have that special bond with those we knew here. But I want to hug and talk to my loved one NOW you say... well so does Jesus. He longs to hold us and talk to us and for us to be with Him NOW. Ok Im done rambling.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1294155489' post='2196540']
Im asking questions :saint:

Dont worry jruss you dont have to answer those Im just being silly.

[b][u]Understood. . . No worries.

[/u][/b]On a more serious note though I came across this quote in My Belovedf by Mother Catherine Thomas that speaks beautifully about mothers and daughters on page 63 "As I look back now, I can say—and I'm sure my dear mother
would now say the same—no daughter is nearer her mother than
the one she has given to God."

[b][u]Only time will tell, but I am inclined to agree[/u][/b].

I would guess that the same applies to spiritual as well as biological mother daughter relationships. As we know from the life of Padre Pio, who had the guardian angels of his spiritual children visit him with questions, we can send our angels to those we love and so that is what I do. When I cannot be near my loved ones I tell my angel to give them a hug for me. I know angels are pure spirit so they arent going to get a physical hug but maybe there will be some spiritual consolation. I also tell their own angel to take extra care, as if he needs to be told!

[b][u]So true!! My daughter and I call this Guardian Angel mail, and it works!! Too frequently to be coincidental. A story to illustrate: My daughter took the Guardian Angels as her special patrons, so to honor her novice feast day (Oct 2nd) , my husband decided to help our younger 3 sons to name their angels. Well. . . One of my adopted sons has severe psychological/behavioral issues which often cause him to endanger himself or others. I had recently written my daughter explaining some of his latest antics. Alarmed, my daughter begged the Lord to give my son 2 Guardian Angels and she felt sure God heard her prayer. She had JUST written this to me in a letter, but I did not share this with him. So when he looked thoughtfully at my husband and me when considering angel names and said, "You know, I think I have TWO angels!", we could only marvel and say, "Yep, you do!!"

[/u][/b]I also keep my focus on eternity where although we will enjoy the beatific vision, and have all the angels and saints around as well, but we will still have that special bond with those we knew here. But I want to hug and talk to my loved one NOW you say... well so does Jesus. He longs to hold us and talk to us and for us to be with Him NOW. Ok Im done rambling.

[b][u]You know, my daughter has such incredible joy in Nashville. She has yet to come down from her glory cloud after a year and a half, so her happiness makes our sadness less. But still we have missed her. Well after our fall visit Jesus granted me an interior picture of my daughter in His arms. She had her characteristic joy, but SO DID HE! Jesus showed me how much it pleased HIM to have her as His beloved; so in order not to take the smile from His face, I promised to temper my sadness from then on. Parents need to realize that if God calls their child to religious life-- they are issued a call as well; it is no less their vocation to let their child go to God.

Blessings to all, and to your families on the journey!
[/u][/b][/quote]