Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

"the Privilege Of Being A Woman"


Recommended Posts

HisChildForever
Posted

I ordered this book yesterday and I expect it to arrive Friday. Since I struggle with gender roles in the Church I thought it would be good for me (plus it is highly praised by many Catholics), and I will read it with an open mind. Who here has read the book, and how has it impacted your faith and spiritual life? A couple years ago I struggled with Marian theology and was tired of fighting with myself (and others) so I purchased "True Devotion" (which was suggested to me on Phatmass) and it promptly kicked me on the right path.

This thread is geared more towards the women of the forum but of course men are encouraged to share their opinions and thoughts on the book.

Posted (edited)

So far I have enjoyed most of Saint Louis De Montfort's writings, though he tends to be lengthy I think he makes some inspirational points. I think it was his writing on the Sorrows of Our Lady that struck me the hardest and still does, I can't think of the title of the writing now or find it on the Internet... But it's message is clearly that of a loving, compassionate, merciful, and generous God who profoundly loves humanity so deeply that it is unfathomable... it brings a tear to my eye each time.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat
ThePenciledOne
Posted

I read it and loved it. Alice writes in such a wonderful way, and gives wonderful analogies within this specific book. She really opened my eyes to women and the beauty of them. I like reading about femininity...so it was a great read for me and I am sure it will be a great book for you HCF.

Alice starts with deconstructing the arguments against femininity, which are the feminists that seek to become men in secular soceity. She then launches into a realm of various points of how indeed privileged women are. And for myself, I had to go out and buy the book after borrowing it from a friend.

You'll be surprise I think. : )

Brother Adam
Posted

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1294278696' post='2197248']
I ordered this book yesterday and I expect it to arrive Friday. Since I struggle with gender roles in the Church I thought it would be good for me (plus it is highly praised by many Catholics), and I will read it with an open mind. Who here has read the book, and how has it impacted your faith and spiritual life? A couple years ago I struggled with Marian theology and was tired of fighting with myself (and others) so I purchased "True Devotion" (which was suggested to me on Phatmass) and it promptly kicked me on the right path.

This thread is geared more towards the women of the forum but of course men are encouraged to share their opinions and thoughts on the book.
[/quote]

I give the book away here at our parish all the time. You will enjoy it.

Posted

I think I'm the first woman to reply to you... I read that book and loved it! I don't remember it being so much about specific gender roles in the Church - like why women can't be priests - but it lays the foundation for that in a poetic and very intelligent way. Just the title is awesome. As a former headstrong feminist, it gave me a lot to think about and be thankful for, but in a completely different way than how I used to view gender.

I think you'll enjoy it :)

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1294279244' post='2197255']
I read it and loved it. Alice writes in such a wonderful way, and gives wonderful analogies within this specific book. She really opened my eyes to women and the beauty of them. I like reading about femininity...so it was a great read for me and I am sure it will be a great book for you HCF.

Alice starts with deconstructing the arguments against femininity, which are the feminists that seek to become men in secular soceity. She then launches into a realm of various points of how indeed privileged women are. And for myself, I had to go out and buy the book after borrowing it from a friend.

You'll be surprise I think. : )
[/quote]

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1294279367' post='2197256']
I give the book away here at our parish all the time. You will enjoy it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the responses. "The feminists that seek to become men in secular society" - this phrasing always gets under my skin, because I do not have a clear understanding of how certain women try to be "like men" or "men". So hopefully the book will clear that up for me. I think I need to understand it from an objective perspective, because I have heard (er, read) some argue that a woman trying to be a man is a woman seeking higher education (which of course is ridiculous, because education is for everyone) and I have also heard (or read) that a woman trying to be a man is a woman who wants to be a priest, which makes more sense. Regardless I do not think such feminists literally hate their gender and want to change it (the exception being those who want sex changes...) but have a skewed mindset of their gender.

Posted

You should read Regine Pernoud.

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='holly.o' timestamp='1294280285' post='2197263']
I think I'm the first woman to reply to you... I read that book and loved it! I don't remember it being so much about specific gender roles in the Church - like why women can't be priests - but it lays the foundation for that in a poetic and very intelligent way. Just the title is awesome. As a former headstrong feminist, it gave me a lot to think about and be thankful for, but in a completely different way than how I used to view gender.

I think you'll enjoy it :)
[/quote]

Thanks! I think I fight with myself a lot and it would be nice to take a breather and play the role of the student (with the book as the guide).

Posted (edited)

Pro-Feminism, its about time is all I have to say. Curiously all the women going into philosophy majors nowadays is a wonderful change of pace and like a new breath into the field. The doctor of philosophy who taught us said that within the past ten years he met his first female doctor of philosophy [u][b]ever[/b][/u], within the past five there is now a female doctor of philosophy now in the department. All he said to say is, "welcome!"

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat
Posted

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1294280886' post='2197269']
Thanks! I think I fight with myself a lot and it would be nice to take a breather and play the role of the student (with the book as the guide).
[/quote]


Have you ever seen Dr. Hildebrand when she's on TV? Or sometimes she calls into Sunday Night Live. I would :heart: to be a student in her class! I think I also read the book with her voice narrating it in my head, which may have added to my enjoyment ;)

HisChildForever
Posted (edited)

[quote name='holly.o' timestamp='1294281165' post='2197272']
Have you ever seen Dr. Hildebrand when she's on TV? Or sometimes she calls into Sunday Night Live. I would :heart: to be a student in her class! I think I also read the book with her voice narrating it in my head, which may have added to my enjoyment ;)
[/quote]

No! And in fact I was going to ask if anyone knew where I could find clips or interviews. I did see something on Youtube, she was part of a program discussing her husband's achievements, but that was all I could find.

Edited by HisChildForever
fides quarens intellectum
Posted

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1294278696' post='2197248']
Who here has read the book, and how has it impacted your faith and spiritual life? A couple years ago I struggled with Marian theology and was tired of fighting with myself (and others) so I purchased "True Devotion" (which was suggested to me on Phatmass) and it promptly kicked me on the right path.

This thread is geared more towards the women of the forum but of course men are encouraged to share their opinions and thoughts on the book.
[/quote]

I have read it. As far as it impacting my faith and spiritual life, I don't know how it has, really, unless it was just subconsciously. I mean, there were some sections/quotes that I liked, but she's not on my list of favorite Catholic writers, probably because of her writing style. It is a quick read, though. Like you, I also had great hopes for the book, and went into reading it expecting to have some kind of "wow" moments, but I guess I should not have had my hopes up so much. Sorry I can't be of much help for you. :)

fides quarens intellectum
Posted

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1294279244' post='2197255']
Alice starts with deconstructing the arguments against femininity, which are the feminists that seek to become men in secular soceity.
[/quote]


[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1294280603' post='2197267']
"The feminists that seek to become men in secular society" - this phrasing always gets under my skin, because I do not have a clear understanding of how certain women try to be "like men" or "men". So hopefully the book will clear that up for me. I think I need to understand it from an objective perspective, because I have heard (er, read) some argue that a woman trying to be a man is a woman seeking higher education (which of course is ridiculous, because education is for everyone) and I have also heard (or read) that a woman trying to be a man is a woman who wants to be a priest, which makes more sense. Regardless I do not think such feminists literally hate their gender and want to change it (the exception being those who want sex changes...) but have a skewed mindset of their gender.
[/quote]

She does address this notion early on in the book, in the first chapter.

Posted

I loved it, and recommend it to many people. For me, I don't think it did anything to help my spiritual life per se, but one of her works that [i]profoundly[/i] impacted my spiritual life was "By Love Refined" -- it's a great reflection on the beauty and challenges of marriage and a wife's role within that marriage, and I love it. I actually try to re-read it every now and then to help strengthen my resolve to be the best wife I can be.

fides quarens intellectum
Posted

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1294327380' post='2197368']
I loved it, and recommend it to many people. For me, I don't think it did anything to help my spiritual life per se, but one of her works that [i]profoundly[/i] impacted my spiritual life was "By Love Refined" -- it's a great reflection on the beauty and challenges of marriage and a wife's role within that marriage, and I love it. I actually try to re-read it every now and then to help strengthen my resolve to be the best wife I can be.
[/quote]
ooh - that one sounds good (makes mental note). Thanks!

KnightofChrist
Posted

I went to Barnes and Noble today at lunch hoping to buy the book, wasn't there. <_<

But I got a awesome book that has nothing to do with the topic at all; Heretics by G.K. Chesterton. I think I'll order Alice Von Hildebrand's book and Orthodoxy by Chesterton online after work.

HisChildForever
Posted

The book arrived this afternoon. :dance:

Posted

that was quick

HisChildForever
Posted

Amazon is awesome. I ordered online from Barnes and Noble once and because of my experience I will never do so again. I purchased the Joan of Arc movie with Leelee Sobieski and when over a week passed I contacted them (whatever E-mail address was provided) and inevitably found out that my shipment was lost. So they sent another one, by the time I got it it was over a month since I had placed the original order, and the disc was rattling around inside - the plastic that holds it in place was broken. :|

HisChildForever
Posted

The author quoted St. John Chrysostom who wrote "among all wild beasts, there is none to be found which is more harmful than the woman". Can someone please explain why a holy Christian man would say such a thing?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...