An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Do The Books Of The Apocrypha Come From?

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

The Following Books are not included in the Tanakh (Hebrew Bible) or Protestant Old Testament. Where do these Books come from?

Tobit
Judith
Baruch
Wisdom
Sirach
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees

Archaeology cat

They were included in the Septuagint (Greek OT). After the destruction of the temple in AD 70, the Jews officially closed the canon and only included books for which there were extant Hebrew copies. If I remember correctly, Hebrew copies of some of the deuterocanonical books have now been found. The Septuagint was what was generally used by the early Christians.

cmotherofpirl

here is the long and detailed answer if you are interested: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01601a.htm

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1294556895' post='2198056']
The Following Books are not included in the Tanakh (Hebrew Bible) or Protestant Old Testament. Where do these Books come from?

Tobit
Judith
Baruch
Wisdom
Sirach
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees
[/quote]

Ethiopian Jews have these books in their Bible.

You guys realize we do not refer to them as Apocrypha, we as Catholics refer to them as Deutero Canonical books. The former means untrue or dubious in nature.

ed

Ed, good call. An example of an apocryphal book would be the "Gospel of St. Thomas," in which it was written that the child Jesus brought little golems to life.

Kind of like this.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diVqham5cKA[/media]

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

I've wondered of late why we still call them 'Apocrypha,' when they are accepted in the canon by Catholics and Orthodox; counted together, those are over 1.25 billion of the world's two billion Christians, so isn't it the Protestants who don't use these books, who are in the minority by now?

:blink:

[quote name='jegudiel' timestamp='1295809595' post='2203461']
I've wondered of late why we still call them 'Apocrypha,' when they are accepted in the canon by Catholics and Orthodox; counted together, those are over 1.25 billion of the world's two billion Christians, so isn't it the Protestants who don't use these books, who are in the minority by now?

:blink:
[/quote]
*We* don't (call it that). Only the Protestants do.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

funny you say that... i have a non-denom buddy who refers to it as that....it's always a 'fun' conversation to set him straight. lol