An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just Wondering

ksterling

What do you call the group you enter the convent with? Your class? Is there a formal term? A woman I met on a discernment visit said that if we both entered this year, we would be in the same class - it started me wondering whether that's what you call it.

Edited by ksterling

I think it is different for each community. We call ours a "band." We all take a lot of joy in saying..."she's my band!" It is really a special bond to go through formation with someone. They may not be someone you ever would have chosen as a friend in the world but formation into religious life bonds you in a special way. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img]

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1295131783' post='2200495']
What do you call the group you enter the convent with? Your class? Is there a formal term? A woman I met on a discernment visit said that if we both entered this year, we would be in the same class - it started me wondering whether that's what you call it.
[/quote]

How did your discernment visit go? Is it a community you have visited before?

I decided to visit a contemplative community - just to see - because there have been so many interesting links to contemplative communties and the life looked very beautiful. I had to take a business trip to Hartford CT and decided to take a few more days and visit the Dominicans in North Guilford. It was a lovely few days and I felt like I was on a retreat. The sisters were lovely - very welcoming - they put me at ease immediately. I have previously said here that I am a notoriously picky eater and I was really worried that I would hate all the food. It was great. Breakfast was your choice of cold cereal. Lunch soup and salad - fruit for desert. Dinner - spaghetti one night, filet of fish and green beans with a roll another night. My curiosity was satisified but I definitely do NOT have a contemplative vocation. The nuns are WAY holier than I could ever be. I'm glad I did it but I'm going to refocus on active apostolates.

Kat

It depends on the order, for example:
Dominican= Pack
Carmelites = Herd
Benedictines(includes O.Cist, O.Cart, etc.) = colony
Franciscans(all communities and offshoots) = Flock
Jesuits = school
Augustinians = Gaggle

but I could be wrong.

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1295160602' post='2200697']
Dominican= Pack
Carmelites = Herd
Jesuits = school
Augustinians = Gaggle

but I could be wrong.
[/quote]

Bad Maximo, Bad Maximo :)

MissScripture

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1295160602' post='2200697']
Dominican= Pack
Carmelites = Herd
Jesuits = school
Augustinians = Gaggle

but I could be wrong.
[/quote]
I'm almost positive that the Dominicans are a "pile." My sister has frequently told me that "A whole pile of nuns is praying for you." So, maybe that's just the postulants, but at least some groups of Dominicans are considered "piles." :hehe:

Very good but I don't know if Jesuits would like being called a mere school (although the allusion to education is inviting. I think they would prefer something more noble - mayhap a parliament (as in owls) a cohort, a legion, a coterie...)
Dominican= Pack
Carmelites = Herd
Jesuits = school
Augustinians = Gaggle

but I could be wrong.
[/quote]

dominicansoul

we called those who entered with us our "cholas." But that was just unique to me and my sisters...cos, i truly doubt Dominicans use that term EVER.... :hehe:

• 2 weeks later...

a little late .. but here's another name I ran into from the Schoenstatt Sisters of Mary site .. who are not actually a Religious Institute but a Secular one .. though close

[quote]
What is a COURSE?

A “course” refers to the group of young women who enter our community at the same time. A course not only has its times of education together, but it also becomes a small “community within the community,” and a vital part of each sister’s life for her time of formation and beyond. Because of the importance of the courses, our community does not officially begin the time of postulancy until a sufficient number of young women (at least 5-6) have expressed their intention to enter.

[/quote]

http://www.schsrsmary.org/formation.html

TeresaBenedicta

My future community calls each group of new sisters a "class". Which makes sense, seeing as their is an emphasis on intellectual formation in the three years following first vows.