An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teaching Orders?

Chapel Rat

I am looking at the Alma Mercies and, most particularly, at the Apostles of the Sacred Heart. There are also the IHMs in PA. Sister Marie, who posts here, is a member of that congregation. There are many, many teaching orders. What other aspects are you looking for? Habit? Strong community life (as opposed to some orders where the sisters live separately in apartments.) Location? I have been discerning for almost 2 years and have a lot of info. Others who post here are also well informed but we need some more to go on.

Kat

There are the [url="http://www.carmelitesistersocd.com/About/"]Carmelites of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles[/url]....
ksterling is right; more information would be more helpful.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

The [url="http://www.cksisters.org/"]School Sisters of Christ the King[/url] in Nebraska and I know the Sister of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of the Church have a school. I think the Salesians work with young people, but I don't know if they teach.

[url="http://www.ihmimmaculata.org"]Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary[/url] -- a beautiful Order of Sisters who taught me in high school and a few members of whom I became very close! :)

Edited by CherieMadame

If you count communities with teaching as at least part of their apostolate, there are probably too many to mention here. It would also help to know if you are lookiing in any particular part of the country, if you are attracted to a particular spirituality, i.e., Franciscan, Benedictine.

Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration (teaching and nursing)
www.ssfpa.org

Edited by loveletslive

Apostles of the Sacred Heart
Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George (Alton Franciscans)
School Sisters of Christ the King
School Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis
Sister Servants of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
Sisters of Reparation in Steubenville, OH
Sisters of Our Lady Immaculate
Sisters of St Ann

LaPetiteSoeur

The Felicians and the Little Servants of the IC.

It depends on what you're looking for. If the habit isn't a must for you, there are many more orders.

There are the Grey Nuns (founded by St. Marguerite D'youville) they are mostly not habited though (though the ones who taught me were)

Sisters of Christian Charity
Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity
Marian Sisters of the Diocese of Lincoln
Olivetan Benedictine Sisters
School Sisters of the 3rd Order of St. Francis
Sisters of St. Joseph the Worker
Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (in Wichita Kansas).

If you really really love working with kids, though, you definitely should investigate the Salesians!

edit: allmost forgot another phatmasser--Incarnate Word Sister--who teaches now, BTW, she is a member of the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament in Corpus Christi TX.

Edited by stlmom

Thanks everyone!

Habit, strong community and prayer life are a must. I prefer working with younger kids.

I don't know if it matters, but I currently hold a teaching license in elementary education in the state of IL.

I want to start in the Midwest.