An Old School Catholic Message Board

Enneagram In Religious Life

Santa Cruz

The enneagram owes at least part of its explanation to non-Christian, New Age mysticism, whereas other kinds of personality and psychological tests are based on actual events and conditions in the life of the patient. A good doctor or therapist can help you, but an enneagram by contrast is fantasy-based. At best, it's unnecessary. At worst, it's not too far from neo-paganism.

I think this is part of a bigger question about the use of psychological profiling in religious life. I was not very happy when Stanbrook used the enneagram back in the 1990s (don't think it does now but may be wrong). At that time all religious were being urged to ensure that candidates were psychologically assessed and vetted by outside bodies, so I don't think the dangers of the enneagram were clearly perceived. It was just one of many techniques, and at that time it was presented as part of "Christianity's forgotten wisdom tradition". If any community is using it now, I'd agree with what others have said above: exercise extreme caution.

I agree that psychological profiles are rather standard for those trying to enter religious life. I know that in my sister's case, her community does not rely on it. They invite girls to come and live with them as aspirants, and sometime during postulancy, do the psychological testing prior to admitting them to the novitiate. But by then, the girl has been living with the community for 6 mo. - a year. So...they aren't relying on the feedback of the test, but on their own experience in community. If the test confirms what they already knew...fine. But it's just a tool, and hardly the most important one to decide who should enter the novitiate or not.

Anyway, I thank you for sharing these important concerns. It's good to be familiar with red flags, so that when they come up...a discerner knows whether or not it's okay.

Indeed it is part of a bigger question of psychological profiling. I often wonder if St. Therese would be accepted in a community today. Gosh, Saint Francis would not stand a chance in religious life today and neither would Augustine.

But, my concern was not so much on the profiling rather that weekend long workshops were held to teach the entire community about the enneagram, how to identify one's number and how to integrate it into one's life. The community's psychological profiling was actually not bad, a professional psychiatrist was used and scientifically valid testing was administered just before the Postulant's clothing.

• 2 weeks later...
:clapping: I have good news to share. I have been dialoguing with the community I mentioned here and thanks be to God, today the Major Superior said the community will no longer be using the enneagram. Thank you all for your feedback and for the space to discuss my concerns!!! :amen:

:like:

The thing is that there is a real need and benefit for developing psychological tools to enhance personal and communal life that respects, let alone being based on, Catholic teaching. Since there isn't much of that, enneagram and other dubious stuff are used, especially when the community isn't particularly concerned with how faithful to the magisterium the materials are!

Portuguese jesuits, historically famous missionaries, have had official enneagram retreats of several types for many years. It's a good indicator of what's going on, really.

If the subject of psychology and religious life interests you, perhaps you'd like to have a look at the 2008 document [url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20080628_orientamenti_en.html"]Guidelines for the Use of Psychology in the Admission and Formation of Candidates for the Priesthood[/url].

[quote name='ExCorde' timestamp='1296818263' post='2208619']
:like:

The thing is that there is a real need and benefit for developing psychological tools to enhance personal and communal life that respects, let alone being based on, Catholic teaching. Since there isn't much of that, enneagram and other dubious stuff are used, especially when the community isn't particularly concerned with how faithful to the magisterium the materials are!

Portuguese jesuits, historically famous missionaries, have had official enneagram retreats of several types for many years. It's a good indicator of what's going on, really.

If the subject of psychology and religious life interests you, perhaps you'd like to have a look at the 2008 document [url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20080628_orientamenti_en.html"]Guidelines for the Use of Psychology in the Admission and Formation of Candidates for the Priesthood[/url].
[/quote]

Oh so sad how we humans have a tendency to run from God when we are most desperate and in need. Alas, religious are humans too.

Thank you for sharing. This is good to know.

[quote name='Santa Cruz' timestamp='1296782744' post='2208448']
:clapping: I have good news to share. I have been dialoguing with the community I mentioned here and thanks be to God, today the Major Superior said the community will no longer be using the enneagram. Thank you all for your feedback and for the space to discuss my concerns!!! :amen:
[/quote]

That's great! :clapping: I am glad you were prudent enough not to mention the name of the community in this thread, so that no one was given any bad impression of a group that seems to be turning away from a pitfall.

[quote name='Santa Cruz' timestamp='1296782744' post='2208448']
[/quote]

:yahoo:

sistersintigo

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1296921268' post='2209023']
That's great! :clapping: I am glad you were prudent enough not to mention the name of the community in this thread, so that no one was given any bad impression of a group that seems to be turning away from a pitfall.
[/quote]
A point well taken. How often religious vocations are spoken of, sometimes with these very words, as black and white [reference to habits I guess]. In fact, as Santa Cruz has remarked, religious are humans too. And the warning signs about communities have their human aspect, so it is really two-dimensional to make the communities targets for cheap shots. It is one thing to keep secrets, deny the truth of what is happening, and contribute to the harm in that way. It is another to turn the flame-thrower on anybody of whom it could be said that God is not yet finished with them....after all, that's most of us.