An Old School Catholic Message Board

Male Phorum Members

tarc

Hi,
the Phorum Vocation Station seems very helpful to me, but obviously here are mainly female (future/discerning) religious actively wirting? Is there any specific reason for the "underrepresentation" of male (future/discerning) catholics? I'm just interested in the background.
Yours,
tarc

MissScripture

Because girls in general talk more than guys in general? Just a guess. Another thought is that guys can find information a bit easier other places than girls can. Just another guess.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1295827439' post='2203595']
Because girls in general talk more than guys in general? Just a guess. Another thought is that guys can find information a bit easier other places than girls can. Just another guess.
[/quote]
1) Maybe ;)
2) That's correct concerning diocesan priesthood and priesthood in general. But everything else is very difficult to be found.

(I don't ask this in order to be offensive or something like that. I has just wondered why.)

I understand your sentiments. I remember seeing some guys here talking about vocation but they have entered already religious life.

Well I am a he! :like:

I think MissScripture hit on part of the reason, the ladies can start a thread on the color of veils that will last 10 pages...the gents don't.

You know it's true.

As for me, I am already in a Vocation...Marriage. I knew since a young age that God wanted me to be a father one way or another. When I hit the age of 38, I told my self if the woman I was to marry was not in my like by the time I was 40, I would full-time discern the priesthood. God must have taken me serious b/c I was engaged less than a year later. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/amen.gif[/img]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1295867360' post='2203736']
I think MissScripture hit on part of the reason, the ladies can start a thread on the color of veils that will last 10 pages...the gents don't.

You know it's true.
[/quote]

:rotfl:

Yeah, it's true! Sooo true!

I was actually wondering about this in the back of my head recently, thanks for bringing it up!

Apart from women being more chatty in general and the diocesan direction for men, I think it might also be because a lot more women consider celibacy and religious life than men.

• 2 weeks later...
DeoOptimoMaximo

[quote name='ExCorde' timestamp='1296806288' post='2208585']
I was actually wondering about this in the back of my head recently, thanks for bringing it up!

Apart from women being more chatty in general and the diocesan direction for men, I think it might also be because a lot more women consider celibacy and religious life than men.
[/quote]

Haha, I've been wondering the same for quite some time now.

Back when I joined PM in 2005, the Vocation Station was quite busy and bustling! Within the next two years, a good majority of its frequenters joined the seminary/religious orders. Since that time, I haven't seen too many male discerners here...

Well men, ESTO VIR (Be a Man!) and let's get some good discussions going!

Pax et Bonum,

Seminarian Shawn :amen:

Catherine Therese

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1295835902' post='2203642']
I think some of it is that men are courted by diocesan vocation directors in a way that women aren't.
[/quote]

I think there's a lot to this. Men have an entirely different outlet.

Also, there seems to be a resurgence of women considering religious life in a way that doesn't seem to have been the norm until quite recently.