An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Need To Be In A State Of Grace Before You Recieve The Eucharist

infinitelord1

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1296628840' post='2207697']
Do you mean that you actively withheld it at the last confession? In that case you'd have been in a state of mortal sin during the time in between.
However if you actually forgot at the last confession it was forgiven. If you want, you can confess when you have a chance next time, but it's not necessary.
[/quote]

To add to what Nihil said about withholding mortal sin in confession:

If you knowingly withhold a mortal sin, then you're still in the state of mortal sin because not only are NONE of your sins forgiven, but you also commit the sin of sacrilege against the Sacrament of Penance. So in order to be truly absolved of all that, you would not only need to confess to making one or more bad confessions (however many times there were), but you'd also need to confess not just those committed since your last confession but also those committed since your last [b]valid [/b]confession.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1296633126' post='2207705']
If I'm not mistaken, and someone will correct me if I am, we take that as meaning that those who are unworthy (i.e. in a state of mortal sin) are not discerning the body of the Lord in that they are not taking care to show the reverence He is due, which is a terrible sacrilege.
[/quote]

To Nihil -- I'd say you're correct.

Edited by Dave

There was an interesting topic recently on PM about this. Someone posted some quotes from Trent that indicated that one neeed not go to confession before receiving - or something to that effect. It was something to do with circumstances where one should not/could not confess to their parish priest, and were awaiting a chance to confess to a visiting priest (keep in mind this is the 1500s) one could still receive communion. Where are the traddys who have trent memorized...

Like I said there was an interesting topic about it within the last 2-3 months on here.

[quote name='Dave' timestamp='1296673667' post='2207821']
To add to what Nihil said about withholding mortal sin in confession:

If you knowingly withhold a mortal sin, then you're still in the state of mortal sin because not only are [b]NONE of your sins forgiven[/b], but you also commit the sin of sacrilege against the Sacrament of Penance. So in order to be truly absolved of all that, you would not only need to confess to making one or more bad confessions (however many times there were), but you'd also need to confess not just those committed since your last confession but also those committed since your last [b]valid [/b]confession.
[/quote]
I was pretty sure this was the case, but I didn't want to overstep my competency in sacramental theology, which is basic at best. :lol:

Mark of the Cross

The story of Judas Iscariot is always an interesting one in regard to the Eucharist. From what I have read (nothing official) Judas took the Eucharist at the last supper. Jesus did not not refuse, nor pass judgement. Judas took the Eucharist unworthily without discerning and passed judgement on himself. He hung himself as a result.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1296770653' post='2208321']
The story of Judas Iscariot is always an interesting one in regard to the Eucharist. From what I have read (nothing official) Judas took the Eucharist at the last supper. Jesus did not not refuse, nor pass judgement. Judas took the Eucharist unworthily without discerning and passed judgement on himself. He hung himself as a result.
[/quote]
Interesting to note though: right up to the end, Judas could have repented. I have a personal belief that if he had done so, he would have been among the greatest of the saints.

infinitelord1

Ive often thought about how Christ must have chosen Judas knowing exactly what was going to happen in the future. Im not really sure why he would chose someone knowing that they would play an important role in his execution. But, of course, he did.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1296805589' post='2208579']
Ive often thought about how Christ must have chosen Judas knowing exactly what was going to happen in the future. Im not really sure why he would chose someone knowing that they would play an important role in his execution. But, of course, he did.
[/quote]

Probably because there was a lesson in it for us.

let_go_let_God

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1296805589' post='2208579']
[/quote]

Probably because he would play an important part in his execution.

God bless-
LGLG

YES!!!! You must be in a state of grace. "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup" (1 Cor. 11:27–28)

It's important to discuss the rules of the spiritual "game", the spiritual struggle, and the essential canons were all laid out already.

But it does boil down to sincerity, unless you really are unsure of the theological definition of "state of grace", which you can (should) access in the Catechism. A good examination of conscience is also essential - do you have a good guide for that?

A simple way to look at it when scrupulosity creeps in is to ask yourself where you are on the path to Christ.

Are you on it, but stumbling? Are you sincere about the transformation of your heart?

Or are you afraid? Are you still suspicious, thinking the Lord doesn't know you better than you know yourself?

This is something we spoke about in chat previously: it's not about what you did or didn't do, it's about what you surrender so you may receive Him. You need to make the decision to offer yourself to Him.

What you seem to be experiencing now is this: doubt. He knows you! You can't hide any secret from Him and at the same time He won't terrorize you for knowing them, as long as you consciously accept that He holds the truth about you and the power to set you free from all of your sins. Don't wait for the rolling thunder, just stop running away from Him and come out of hiding. Do not be afraid and come to the Lord's table. Be brave and receive Him aware of all your unworthiness but also aware and aching for your salvation.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='ExCorde' timestamp='1296840444' post='2208710']
It's important to discuss the rules of the spiritual "game", the spiritual struggle, and the essential canons were all laid out already.

But it does boil down to sincerity, unless you really are unsure of the theological definition of "state of grace", which you can (should) access in the Catechism. A good examination of conscience is also essential - do you have a good guide for that?

A simple way to look at it when scrupulosity creeps in is to ask yourself where you are on the path to Christ.

Are you on it, but stumbling? Are you sincere about the transformation of your heart?

Or are you afraid? Are you still suspicious, thinking the Lord doesn't know you better than you know yourself?

This is something we spoke about in chat previously: it's not about what you did or didn't do, it's about what you surrender so you may receive Him. You need to make the decision to offer yourself to Him.

What you seem to be experiencing now is this: doubt. He knows you! You can't hide any secret from Him and at the same time He won't terrorize you for knowing them, as long as you consciously accept that He holds the truth about you and the power to set you free from all of your sins. Don't wait for the rolling thunder, just stop running away from Him and come out of hiding. Do not be afraid and come to the Lord's table. Be brave and receive Him aware of all your unworthiness but also aware and aching for your salvation.
[/quote]
I like the tone of that!

If you go to confession at least every two to three weeks and do not commit any mortal sins, you will always be good to receive the Eucharist. The Eucharist also wipes away your venial sins so you can confess them at Mass before you receive. If you receive every day, you will find it much easier to not fall into any mortal sin PLUS the grace you receive is astounding! Praise Jesus for the beautiful Sacraments He has given us in our Church. :clapping: