An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Celebrate Your Baptism Birthday?

Sarah147

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always attend Mass on my baptism birthday because I was baptized on August 15th, the Feast of the Assumption of Mary. In years past, I lit a prayer candle and said the rosary. Since I became Consecrated to Mary in 2009, my baptism birthday has extra special meaning for me. I love Mary so much. :)

I was confirmed on April 29th which also has a special meaning for me now because it is the feast day of St. Catherine of Siena!

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Wow, some a w esome feast days!

I was baptized on the Feast of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin, May 31st. Is it no wonder I consecrated to Mary and became a Catholic? :smile2: Mary has been working on me for sometime. In Girl Scouts, I did something called the "Marian Medal" and I learned a lot about her.

Edited by JoyfulLife

Archaeology cat

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1296770927' post='2208328']
You know this is awful, but I can't tell you the day I was baptised as a Baptist. I can tell you the day and place I accepted Jesus, but not my baptism; my church made me wait until the end of the fiscal quarter so they could maximize the amount of people they baptised at once. As for Easter Vigil, I definitely celebrate after it :)
[/quote]
I always forget mine. I know it was in January, and the heater had gone out in the baptistry, so it was cold water.

I celebrated Kieran's with him, just be making a point of going to Mass.

yes, april 18, and according to catholic.org the saints with feast days are....

* St. Agia
* St. Apollonius the Apologist
* St. Wicterp
* St. Calocerus
* St. Cogitosus
* St. Corebus
* St. Eleutherius & Anthia
* St. Galdinus
* St. Gebuinus
* St. Laserian
* St. Perfectus

(I'm not familiar with any of them though)

My birth date is All Saints Day. I was baptized on Christmas Day and what with so much celebration going on for that, I forget that it even is my baptismal birthday. I was confirmed on April 16th, just three days before B16 was elected. Maybe it would be a good idea to do something to celebrate my confirmation saint's feast day (Therese Oct. 1st) or the saint that I have for a middle name (Anne July 26th.)

It's fascinating you bring this up because I discovered what my baptism day was a few days ago and this thought of celebrating it by going to Mass or knowing more about the saint of the day came to my mind!

It's July 17th for me, I can't see any saint in the universal liturgical calendar, but thanks to catholic.org I found a huge list of them, including a group of carmelite nuns martyred during the French Revolution.

In the Portuguese Divine Office there's also a group of jesuits who were martyred on a boat by anti-catholic corsairs near the Canary islands.

It's funny that I consider my spiritual sensitivity mainly as both ignatian and carmelite (although I think I'm more drawn to dominicans than jesuits because of some recent great authors among the former and the current troubles among the latter). So this is a bit providential, I think!

Ive never celebrated my baptism day before but have found out its Feb10 the feast of St Scholastica, which is rapidly approaching, so I might do something this year. I dont know much about her but my fav story is how she prayed for a storm so her brother (St Benedict) could stay to visit longer as she was enjoying the conversation so much.

[quote name='ExCorde' timestamp='1296916438' post='2209008']

It's July 17th for me, I can't see any saint in the universal liturgical calendar, but thanks to catholic.org I found a huge list of them, including a group of carmelite nuns martyred during the French Revolution.

It's funny that I consider my spiritual sensitivity mainly as both ignatian and carmelite (although I think I'm more drawn to dominicans than jesuits because of some recent great authors among the former and the current troubles among the latter). So this is a bit providential, I think!
[/quote]

Ohh! That's the Carmelite Martyrs of Compiegne! A contemporary of St. Edith Stein, Gertrud Von Le Fort, wrote a novella called "Song at the Scaffold" which is about the beautiful story of these nuns and their desire to follow the Lamb even to the guillotine (it's wonderful and I highly recommend it). The novella, wildly popular in its day, was then turned into an opera "Les Dialogues des Carmelites" by Poullanc. After a recent anniversary of the Revolution and the martyrdom of the Carmelites, ICS (the Institute for Carmelite Studies) published a wonderful short history of these nuns and their martyrdom titled To Quell the Terror. I highly recommend this, too.

They are all blesseds now and I pray that they will be cannonized.

To be slightly more on topic, I always celebrate the anniversary of my conditional-baptism by attending Mass at the Easter vigil, but I also celebrate my decision to enter the Church every year on August 15th.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1296924224' post='2209031']
Ive never celebrated my baptism day before but have found out its Feb10 the feast of St Scholastica, which is rapidly approaching, so I might do something this year. I dont know much about her but my fav story is how she prayed for a storm so her brother (St Benedict) could stay to visit longer as she was enjoying the conversation so much.
[/quote]

I found St. Benedict's reaction to that hilarious and it so shows how they are siblings!

[quote name='JenDeMaria' timestamp='1296959591' post='2209193']
Ohh! That's the Carmelite Martyrs of Compiegne![/quote]

Yes they are! Wow I need to check that stuff, I got the list handy:

Song at the Scaffold - Sophia Institute Press 2001, ISBN:978-1928832348

To Quell the Terror: The Mystery of the Vocation of the Sixteen Carmelites of Compiegne Guillotined July 17, 1794 - ICS Publications 1999, ISBN:978-0935216677

Dialogues des carmélites (Dialogues of the Carmelites) - Francis Poulenc (1957) [can't find it but there's some references at the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialogues_of_the_Carmelites"]Wikipedia page[/url]]

[quote name='ExCorde' timestamp='1296916438' post='2209008']

[/quote]

Funny, because I think like an Ignatian and yet I consider myself to pray like a Carmelite and am drawn to that spirituality, especially the Carmelite saints.

[quote name='ExCorde' timestamp='1297010286' post='2209336']

Dialogues des carmélites (Dialogues of the Carmelites) - Francis Poulenc (1957) [can't find it but there's some references at the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialogues_of_the_Carmelites"]Wikipedia page[/url]]
[/quote]

Oops, sorry, spelled his name wrong.

If you don't mind watching it in French sans subtitles, you can see it on Gloria tv here: http://gloria.tv/?media=88487

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1297012865' post='2209346']
Funny, because I think like an Ignatian and yet I consider myself to pray like a Carmelite and am drawn to that spirituality, especially the Carmelite saints.
[/quote]

:like: Exactly! Back when these orders got started (Jesuits and Discalced Carmelites), around the same time, they sort of got specialized in two essential modes of action: a movement towards the outside of the chapel by "finding God in all things" (which is why discernment is key) and a movement directly towards heaven, begging the Lord for a "shower of roses (graces)" (because they were acutely aware of the needs and demands of the secular world as well, even for the survival of this way of life). What I find the most curious is that Ignatius was never declared a Doctor of the Church, whereas both O.C.D. founders and then later the Little Flower were (they learned more "straight from above", while Canisius and Bellarmine, the two Jesuit Doctors, were man of great science, pedagogy and also secular influence).

We can look at Thérèse de Lisieux as the corollary of this: a young, cloistered girl that became the patron of missions. The way I look at it is that since then, for the last four centuries, we still didn't have the need for something much different than those and these spiritualities are very fruitful: rooted in the contemplative life but also with a clear vocation to bring out the best from creation, in our families, our work, our studies, and the needs of everyone around us. So I find them to have been quite complementary from the start! Not to mention that the spiritual directors to Carmelites were often Jesuit priests and that families often had siblings going into both orders (Jesuits being the "active manly" order).

[quote name='JenDeMaria' timestamp='1297037194' post='2209484']
If you don't mind watching it in French sans subtitles, you can see it on Gloria tv here: [url="http://gloria.tv/?media=88487"]http://gloria.tv/?media=88487[/url]
[/quote]

That's great, thanks a bunch! Although they talk really fast.. :)

In my family we celebrate baptismal anniversaries (bap. days for short). Whomever's baptismal anniversary it is gets to choose the meals (as with birthdays and name days), and at supper desert we light the baptismal candle, sing a song, & everyone's supposed to honour the person for something. That's also when the parents give their present, rather than at the birthday. Um... and sometimes the person also renews their baptismal promises. That's what I did here at school.

The saints of my baptismal anniversary are:
* St. Jude Thaddaeus
* St. Simon of Zealot
* St. Abraham
* St. Anastasia II
* St. Anglinus
* St. Salvius
* St. Eadsin
* St. Ferrutius
* St. Fidelis of Como
* St. Godwin
* St. Faro