An Old School Catholic Message Board

Todays Sisters, Nuns And Consecrated Women

Ephrem Augustine

Ephrem Augustine

[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=9121"]Original Article[/url]
[quote][font="Verdana"][size="2"]The typical newly-professed woman religious is a 43-year-old cradle Catholic who prayed the Rosary and participated in retreats and Eucharistic adoration before entering religious life, according to a survey released by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.[/size][/font]

[font="Verdana"][size="2"]583 major superiors of US women religious responded to the survey, which was conducted by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate. 79% of superiors who belong to the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (which is under Vatican investigation) responded to the survey, while 58% of superiors who belong to the Conference of Major Superiors of Women Religious (which emphasizes fidelity to the Magisterium and the wearing of a habit) responded. Only 31% of superiors of contemplative communities responded to the survey.[/size][/font]

[font="Verdana"][size="2"]Among the survey's findings:[/size][/font]

[font="Verdana"][size="2"]84% of superiors reported no new religious professions in 2010, while 13% reported only one[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"] [/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"]64% of newly-professed women religious came from families with four or more siblings[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"][size="2"]13% of the newly professed are converts, typically from Protestantism[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"] [/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"]62% are white, while 19% are Asian and 10% are Hispanic[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"] [/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"]71% were born in the US, while 14% were born in Mexico, the Philippines, or Nigeria; the typical foreign-born newly-professed religious entered the US in 1993[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"] [/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"]51% attended a Catholic elementary school, while only 26% attended a Catholic college; 7% were home schooled[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"] [/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"]59% have at least a bachelor's degree[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"] [/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"]20% participated in one of the World Youth Days, and 6% participated in a Franciscan University of Steubenville conference as a high school student[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"] [/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"]74% had attended a retreat before entering religious life, 65% regularly prayed the Rosary, and 64% regularly took part in Eucharistic adoration[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"] [/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"]the typical newly professed woman religious began to consider a religious vocation at the age of 20, was familiar with her institute for six years before entrance, and made her profession at the age of 43[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"] [/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"]51% reported that a parent or family member [i]discouraged[/i] them from entering religious life; only 26% said their mother encouraged them to consider a religious vocation, and an even smaller 16% said their father encouraged them to consider a vocation[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"] [/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"]52% say they were encouraged by a religious sister to consider religious life, 44% by a friend, and 39% by a parish priest[/size][/font]
[/quote]

One statistic was missing from this article:
100% of Consecrated Women Religious are amesome!!!

Edited by Ephrem Augustine

interesting article .. thanks for posting!

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' timestamp='1296770193' post='2208315']
One statistic was missing from this article:
100% of Consecrated Women Religious are amesome!!!
[/quote]

Yes!! :clap:

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' timestamp='1296770193' post='2208315']
51% reported that a parent or family member [i]discouraged[/i] them from entering religious life; only 26% said their mother encouraged them to consider a religious vocation, and an even smaller 16% said their father encouraged them to consider a vocation
[/quote]

Ah-huh. Sad but true.

Ephrem Augustine

only 39% were encouraged by a parish priest.
i would be the parish priest of the sort to just tell every young woman i see to think about it lol!