An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Vbs

Lil Red

Make sure your parishes do an actual CATHOLIC VBS this summer:
http://catholicicing.blogspot.com/2011/02/catholic-vacation-bible-school-reviews.html

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

If there are second hand VBS materials going around, I know our DRE would appreciate it. We are using a VBS program that was given to us(?). I do know it is from Group publishing...

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1298562785' post='2215239']
+JMJ

If there are second hand VBS materials going around, I know our DRE would appreciate it. We are using a VBS program that was given to us(?). I do know it is from Group publishing...
[/quote]
Group Publishing (while a good company) is a Protestant company.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

I know, red... Although it looks like OSV reviews the Catholic editions of the VBS (someone in the comments on the link you posted mentioned this).

let_go_let_God

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1298563476' post='2215240']
Group Publishing (while a good company) is a Protestant company.
[/quote]

I agree it's a good program. Our parish has been linked into Group prior to my arrival and we are doing group again this year. However Group being a Protestant company partners exclusively with OSV to publish their Catholic version of their VBS, with imprimatur on all components. I know there is a push from the DRE's in our diocese to Group to partner with OSV for a full Catholic Division of their company. Not sure how I feel about it though.

God bless-
LGLG

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1298565913' post='2215251']
imprimatur's are meaningless. Support orthodox exclusively Catholic companies.
[/quote]

Imprimaturs are meaningless. This is news to me. Please explain,

[quote name='let_go_let_God' timestamp='1298564870' post='2215247']
I agree it's a good program. Our parish has been linked into Group prior to my arrival and we are doing group again this year. However Group being a Protestant company partners exclusively with OSV to publish their Catholic version of their VBS, with imprimatur on all components. I know there is a push from the DRE's in our diocese to Group to partner with OSV for a full Catholic Division of their company. Not sure how I feel about it though.

God bless-
LGLG
[/quote]
i agree with Brother Adam - i kept finding (in youth ministry) that Group's "Catholic" stuff was consistently watered down when compared to authentically Catholic programs.

[quote name='Livin_the_MASS' timestamp='1298567137' post='2215253']
Imprimaturs are meaningless. This is news to me. Please explain,
[/quote]
what I think Brother Adam is getting at is that there are some bishops whose opinions of what is authentically Catholic is somewhat left to be desired.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1298563913' post='2215241']
+JMJ

I know, red... Although it looks like OSV reviews the Catholic editions of the VBS (someone in the comments on the link you posted mentioned this).
[/quote]
and I would say that there is something deficient when we are letting a Protestant company create Catholic editions of anything.

edit: i shouldn't use the phrase "letting". that connotates that we have some control over it.

What Lil Red said, and the imprimatur usually (and I do mean usually) means that the text is free from formal heresy, not that it teaches Catholicism, or right belief. The Dutch Catechism is a classic example of a truly awful text that was printed by the Church. It is a little like saying that a jar of lard doesn't have poison in it. That doesn't mean you should indulge in eating lard.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1298568222' post='2215257']
What Lil Red said, and the imprimatur usually (and I do mean usually) means that the text is free from formal heresy, not that it teaches Catholicism, or right belief. The Dutch Catechism is a classic example of a truly awful text that was printed by the Church. It is a little like saying that a jar of lard doesn't have poison in it. That doesn't mean you should indulge in eating lard.
[/quote]

I was taught that an Imprimatur is a seal of it being free of moral error and in line with the teaching of the Catholic Church. I understand that some bishops are not in line with Tradition but to call Imprimaturs "meaningless" is a bit much.

[quote name='Livin_the_MASS' timestamp='1298569165' post='2215258']
I was taught that an Imprimatur is a seal of it being free of moral error and in line with the teaching of the Catholic Church. I understand that some bishops are not in line with Tradition but to call Imprimaturs "meaningless" is a bit much.
[/quote]

The nihil obstat is actually a declaration that a text is free from doctrinal or moral error. The imprimatur is a declaration that the text is to be printed. The imprimi potest is the second step and states that it can be printed. The last two are required of texts of a religious nature by religious persons or institutes according to canon law. I stand by my assertion that they are meaningless today though due to the variety of theological positions held by bishops and that there are books with those marks which can be spiritually harmful.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1298570009' post='2215261']
The nihil obstat is actually a declaration that a text is free from doctrinal or moral error. The imprimatur is a declaration that the text is to be printed. The imprimi potest is the second step and states that it can be printed. The last two are required of texts of a religious nature by religious persons or institutes according to canon law. I stand by my assertion that they are meaningless today though due to the variety of theological positions held by bishops and that there are books with those marks which can be spiritually harmful.
[/quote]

Well I guess it's good I know this now. I always looked for Imprimatur's for my books. This actually kinda makes me sad cause I thought these things (Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur's) could be trusted.