An Old School Catholic Message Board

Don't Cry For Me Argentina

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

No, no, no, no. And once again, no. Some friends have been emailing me that there is concern here about my life, so I decided to post personally to stop this kind of nonsense (no nonsense for nunsense please). Absolutely nothing that happens to us is outside of God's control, and if we truly believe that He is all love, then what can we fear? Didn't St Paul ask what could separate us from the love of Christ? He had been through persecution and flogging and stoning and shipwreck and all manner of horrible things, but did he complain? And aren't the readings in Matins this week all from Job, who said that if we take the good from God, should we not also take the bad?

But to carry it a step further, can there be bad from God? It is only bad in our eyes, these eyes that are so limited that they can't see the beauty and the glory in the Cross, that instrument of our salvation.What a great gift when we are allowed to experience purification, and what better way is there than the most direct one, through suffering?

I didn't post when I left Carmel this last time because there is nothing more to say. I certainly don't want to say anything bad about the community, and whatever is lacking in me will be completed by Jesus in His own good time, so to paraphrase some quote from I know not where... "the pen, having writ, moves on..."

I have been blessed beyond words in this life to have lived in religious communities around the world and to have met so many wonderful and holy people. I have been "spectacularly unsuccessful" at community life, it is true, but that doesn't mean that every single experience wasn't a great gift from God. I have never felt more in love with Him or more trusting in His goodness. So please, whatever you do, don't feel sorry for me. I am living a most fortunate life, beloved of God, and completely conscious of this grace.

When I left Carmel at the beginning of the year, many wonderful priests helped me, and the Hermits of Bethlehem even invited me to come back to them, but I decided to stay here in Australia and make my vocation prayer for the Church as a private hermit. Whether or not this ever becomes official is for God to decide. The Bishop has been very kind to me but said it was way too early to talk about that step.

So I live in a cabin on 20 acres in the Australian bush, about half an hour's drive from the nearest town. When I came back to Melbourne, I was offered so much, including this property for a less than nominal rent, the use of a car, everything just fell into place (almost as if it were meant to be :) ) and God has been with me every step of the way. The townsfolk have been kind and supportive, generous with their time and possessions when I need help, and the local parish church is a sweet little place with a very small congregation (at which the Bishop celebrated Mass last weekend!). I have no electricity except for an emergency generator (petrol driven), I use rain tank water, cook on a wood stove and heat with one as well. I use a kerosene lantern and candles at night. I pray the Divine Office seven times a day, do two hours of mental prayer and pray my Rosary, just as if I were in Carmel. I chop wood and boil water for washing and work in the garden and watch the kangaroos. I love this life, despite the physical hardships because I am able to focus it totally on loving God and praying for Christ's Church.

I am not totally withdrawn because I do go into town when necessary for supplies, and I will respond to requests for help, such as babysitting for my brother's four children recently when he and his wife had to leave the state on business. Next month I am responding to a request to care for an elderly man in his home for a few days. I see my life as living out the two commandments that Jesus gave us, love of God and love of neighbour. How could life be any more fulfilling than this?

What I am saying is...you can post about me all you want, or speculate about what happened that I wasn't able to persevere in Carmel, or you can join me in praising and thanking and glorifying God for His great and wonderful kindness to me in providing me with such a rich and deep foundation in the spiritual life through so many wonderful experiences, from working with Mother Teresa's nuns, to Carmel, to Rosalind Moss, to the Hermits of Bethlehem, to working with the homeless in Detroit and of course back again and again to Carmel. My whole life has been one of great blessings, many of them disguised as sufferings, but nothing could have brought me closer to Jesus than what has happened, because He has allowed it. And through my many wonderful and varied experiences as a psych nurse and teacher and horse trainer and mother (and now grandmother), I have learned to love my neighbour as well.

So, don't cry for me, phatmass. Rejoice with me. With or without the official recognition of the Church, Jesus has made me His. With St Paul, I say that Christ now lives in me and with Julian of Norwich, I say, "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well."

I go back to the hermitage today, so I won't be online again for awhile. Thank you for the emails and for caring about me. I will keep you all in my prayers that you remain in the loving heart of Jesus, whatever path your life seems to take...... it really is all about Him. :love:

LaPetiteSoeur

Dieu vous benisse, toujours, nunsense!

God makes everything right in HIs time, and His plans are always perfect.

:nun:

I would highly recommend the book, "Poustinia" by Catherine Doherty. She's the founder of the Madonna House Apostolate and wrote a series of Catholic books with a basis in her Russian Orthodox background. Poustinia is about finding communion with God in a place of silence and solitude.

TeresaBenedicta

A fitting Gospel today.

“But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides.”

Prayers, nunsense. :nunpray:

WOOOW! The life you're living now is amesome!! and that is inspiring enough for me to live like a hermit on my own :P

Edited by tnavarro61

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1298845515' post='2216211']
Jesus has made me His.
...... it really is all about Him. :love:
[/quote]

Yes!

You're beautiful, nunsense.

God bless you!

So good to hear from you, and to hear so much good from you. Glad to know you're happy.

(Check out my signature line - it really does fit all occasions!)

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1298848001' post='2216242']
I would highly recommend the book, "Poustinia" by Catherine Doherty. She's the founder of the Madonna House Apostolate and wrote a series of Catholic books with a basis in her Russian Orthodox background. Poustinia is about finding communion with God in a place of silence and solitude.
[/quote]

Ditto -- I just re-read this book. It is wonderful -- and what you mentioned about love of God and love of neighbor comes through especially in how the poustinic (don't remember if I have the right term) opens his/herself to whatever God sends, and the town (who supports the poustinic) is comfortable enough to go to him/her when there is a need.

Blessings nunsense and prayers

That is wonderful to hear, Nunsense. I am sure that all your times in different carmels have prepared you for just this. Gratias agimus dei! :)

I am no expert on spiritual or vocational matters. But when I read your post I immediately thought what a wonderful vocation. To praise the Lord seven times a day and also to help his 'sheep' when they are in need. Surely that is true Christian teaching and living a life that is pleasing to the Lord.

AccountDeleted

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Thanks CatherineM for the book recommendation - wikipedia does a good description of a pousinik - but I can't say I like the word very much - lol! But the idea is pretty much the life I live. Maybe we need an English word that means the same thing. I would hesitate to use the word pousinik because no one here would understand what I mean. When I say "hermit", they get the picture, although that isn't exactly what I am since I do interact with the world from time to time and most hermits avoid this. I accept it when it is necessary for myself or an act of charity for others.

I had an landline phone put on the property today for emergencies, so I am not as cut off as usual, but I still need to go into town for mobile phone or internet access - which is good because it means my time online is short and to the point - lol!

Once again, thanks and prayers for all of you.