An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psych Assessments For Entry To Religious Orders

Catherine Therese

Catherine Therese

Hi y'all,

At the moment as part of putting my application together I've been doing psych testing. Last Wednesday I spent from 8.50am to 6.15pm at the pscyh doctor's office doing a combination of paper questionnaires, computer-based standardised tests and clinical interviews. At the end of March, I will have another full day of testing for this. The $$ component is significant.

I'm quite happy to go with the flow and do whatever is required of me to facilitate this stage of 'mutual discernment'; I'm convinced that God has it all covered since this was HIS idea in the first place! I AM, however, surprised at the rigour that goes into this... I would never have anticipated more than a full day's testing or anything like that!

Have others done this? Was your experience similar?

(Some of it was funny.... I was, for example, asked to answer true or false to whether or not I thought that someone might be trying to poison me? Other questions were more predictable such as whether or not I liked large crowds at parties, that sort of thing. )

HopefulBride

I had to do a Psych test for my application packet. However it did not take as long. I spent about 3 hours for the questionnaire part and then I did a follow up that lasted about an hour and half. I guess it depends on the kind of test that you are doing.

Prayers for you on your journey.

Edited by HopefulBride

[quote name='Catherine Therese' timestamp='1299069474' post='2217109']
(Some of it was funny.... I was, for example, asked to answer true or false to whether or not I thought that someone might be trying to poison me? Other questions were more predictable such as whether or not I liked large crowds at parties, that sort of thing. )
[/quote]

Thoughts that you are being poisoned by someone often come with schizophrenia, so it's actually a good question, even though it sounds weird to those who aren't suffering from that illness.

It is pretty important to make sure one is mentally fit for religious life (although I'm not a big fan of psychology, to be honest, and I think it shouldn't be relied on absolutely). Even if one isn't shown to be "mentally unfit" for religious life, those tests might be able to show the community where one's strengths and weakness lie and what to do if someone does experience an emotional/mental crisis in community.

I haven't gotten so far in discernment as to have to take the psych tests yet. I do wonder about one part of the testing - is it based primarily on present-day realities or does it question one's past? I and others I've known have suffered from depression situationally but no longer struggle with that. But that's always been in the back of my mind - that although I consider myself healed now, I would somehow encounter a lot of problems with the testing because of a past issue. I just imagine taking a test with simple answers of "yes or no" and being unable to explain, "That was then and this is now." I don't really worry about this, because I've spoken with a good number of religious that don't consider that a problem at all, and if God can make a lame person walk, He certainly can fix one's brain (I would actually be wary of any community that denies such healing is possible).

But I'm just curious since you brought it up. Prayers for you as you have to do all this!

HopefulBride

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1299083285' post='2217155']
Thoughts that you are being poisoned by someone often come with schizophrenia, so it's actually a good question, even though it sounds weird to those who aren't suffering from that illness.

It is pretty important to make sure one is mentally fit for religious life (although I'm not a big fan of psychology, to be honest, and I think it shouldn't be relied on absolutely). Even if one isn't shown to be "mentally unfit" for religious life, those tests might be able to show the community where one's strengths and weakness lie and what to do if someone does experience an emotional/mental crisis in community.

I haven't gotten so far in discernment as to have to take the psych tests yet. I do wonder about one part of the testing - [b]is it based primarily on present-day realities or does it question one's past?[/b] I and others I've known have suffered from depression situationally but no longer struggle with that. But that's always been in the back of my mind - that although I consider myself healed now, I would somehow encounter a lot of problems with the testing because of a past issue. I just imagine taking a test with simple answers of "yes or no" and being unable to explain, "That was then and this is now." I don't really worry about this, because I've spoken with a good number of religious that don't consider that a problem at all, and if God can make a lame person walk, He certainly can fix one's brain (I would actually be wary of any community that denies such healing is possible).

But I'm just curious since you brought it up. Prayers for you as you have to do all this!
[/quote]

Chamomille,

It is based on present-day and one's past. They ask questions about your past experiences and about present stuff. In my follow up (part II of my eval) the person told me at the end of it that they look to see if one's past issues were dealt with or if they would be brought to the surface.

I guess that's part of making sure one is balanced.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1299084081' post='2217160']
Chamomille,

It is based on present-day and one's past. They ask questions about your past experiences and about present stuff. In my follow up (part II of my eval) the person told me at the end of it that they look to see if one's past issues were dealt with or if they would be brought to the surface.

I guess that's part of making sure one is balanced.
[/quote]

Thanks for answering. That's what I was hoping for in regards to the content of the eval.

While I have not taken my psych tests yet I have been through a lot of trauma (severe physical abuse as a child and adolescent and multiple rapes by different men) in my life. I decided to be up front and honest with the communities that I have spoken with. They all asked if I had received therapy for those traumas and how I feel about them now. I answered honestly and all of them have told me that as long as I have gone through counseling that I am past the issues those traumas caused they are fine with my past.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299112537' post='2217322']
While I have not taken my psych tests yet I have been through a lot of trauma (severe physical abuse as a child and adolescent and multiple rapes by different men) in my life. I decided to be up front and honest with the communities that I have spoken with. They all asked if I had received therapy for those traumas and how I feel about them now. I answered honestly and all of them have told me that as long as I have gone through counseling that I am past the issues those traumas caused they are fine with my past.
[/quote]

That's really good to hear. I'm glad these communities are willing to look past it instead of looking at it as a potential problem. :like:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299116444' post='2217332']
That's really good to hear. I'm glad these communities are willing to look past it instead of looking at it as a potential problem. :like:
[/quote]

I ran into a number of communities that did have an issue with my past. However I have found that if religious life is a life to which God has called you that He will take care of you. I have spoken to most, if not all, of the apostolic Dominican communities in the US and none of them have had an issue with my past. The communities that did have an issue tended to be more contemplative than apostolic in nature and to be very traditional. I did not look at any monastic communities as I did not and do not feel called to that life so I do not know about them. Just know that God will take care of you and through prayer and diligence the right community will be found.

Totally Franciscan

[quote name='Catherine Therese' timestamp='1299069474' post='2217109']
Hi y'all,

At the moment as part of putting my application together I've been doing psych testing. Last Wednesday I spent from 8.50am to 6.15pm at the pscyh doctor's office doing a combination of paper questionnaires, computer-based standardised tests and clinical interviews. At the end of March, I will have another full day of testing for this. The $ component is significant.

I'm quite happy to go with the flow and do whatever is required of me to facilitate this stage of 'mutual discernment'; I'm convinced that God has it all covered since this was HIS idea in the first place! I AM, however, surprised at the rigour that goes into this... I would never have anticipated more than a full day's testing or anything like that!

Have others done this? Was your experience similar?

[/quote]

Good grief! Two full days of testing?????? A bit much, if you ask me, but then I should mind my own business. When I entered, the psychiatrist only talked to me for about half an hour. His diagnosis: I was entirely normal, and he wondered why I even had to go through that. I can just imagine what the bill is going to be for you, Catherine Therese. Did your community require all of these different tests - by name?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299116837' post='2217334']
I ran into a number of communities that did have an issue with my past. However I have found that if religious life is a life to which God has called you that He will take care of you. I have spoken to most, if not all, of the apostolic Dominican communities in the US and none of them have had an issue with my past. The communities that did have an issue tended to be more contemplative than apostolic in nature and to be very traditional. I did not look at any monastic communities as I did not and do not feel called to that life so I do not know about them. Just know that God will take care of you and through prayer and diligence the right community will be found.
[/quote]

That's a very positive attitude you have there. :like:

I've never experienced any sort of physical or sexual trauma, so I don't know how that made you feel, but I know how emotional issues affect people because I have had depression for 11 years (off and on). I had one community, the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus, say that it was OK if I needed to continue taking my medication, but at that time, I was off of it. I discerned that community was not where I was called because of their apostolate, which was too demanding for someone like me. There were a few others who were willing to work with me, but they were apostolic communities. All the contemplative communities I discussed my depression with said they would not be willing to admit me because one needs to be without depression in a contemplative environment, which I eventually understood. I am no longer discerning religious life, but I am still discerning consecrated virginity and third order Dominicans. :)

TeresaBenedicta

When I went on my official visit, I was told that a psych exam was part of the application process... About a month later I called to ask for entrance and apply... and never was told to do a psych exam. Now my situation's a bit different since I can't enter until my debt is paid off... so I don't know if I'll need to do a psych exam before actually entering or what. I guess I just have to wait and see.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299124371' post='2217364']
That's a very positive attitude you have there. :like:

I've never experienced any sort of physical or sexual trauma, so I don't know how that made you feel, but I know how emotional issues affect people because I have had depression for 11 years (off and on). I had one community, the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus, say that it was OK if I needed to continue taking my medication, but at that time, I was off of it. I discerned that community was not where I was called because of their apostolate, which was too demanding for someone like me. There were a few others who were willing to work with me, but they were apostolic communities. All the contemplative communities I discussed my depression with said they would not be willing to admit me because one needs to be without depression in a contemplative environment, which I eventually understood. I am no longer discerning religious life, but I am still discerning consecrated virginity and third order Dominicans. :)
[/quote]

Thank you, it took me a minute to develop that attitude and long conversation with spiritual director, but it came about and I have been blessed to find several communities of Dominicans that are very interested in me and that I am very interested in too.

It was very hard to deal with being rejected because of my past and I was willing to let those communities derail me, but my spiritual director encouraged me and so did my friends. They told me that I am wonderful and that I would be a great sister and it is those communities loss. I have to say I am happy that you are considering the Dominicans. (I'm a bit biased, I love Dominicans and that is the order I am looking to join). I am so happy all has turned out well for you. God is so amesome and He always takes care of us.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299134471' post='2217397']
Thank you, it took me a minute to develop that attitude and long conversation with spiritual director, but it came about and I have been blessed to find several communities of Dominicans that are very interested in me and that I am very interested in too.

It was very hard to deal with being rejected because of my past and I was willing to let those communities derail me, but my spiritual director encouraged me and so did my friends. They told me that I am wonderful and that I would be a great sister and it is those communities loss. I have to say I am happy that you are considering the Dominicans. (I'm a bit biased, I love Dominicans and that is the order I am looking to join). I am so happy all has turned out well for you. God is so amesome and He always takes care of us.
[/quote]

I loved the Dominicans ever since I learned about St. Catherine of Siena. She is my role model and I hope to become just like her--minus the extreme penances, of course. I read that she consecrated her virginity before becoming a Dominican tertiary, and that is really neat.

Before I stopped discerning, I was in contact with the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne in New York. I really wanted to go and meet them, but never was able to because of financial reasons or time constraints. I highly recommend them if you haven't contacted them already. Sr. Alma Marie is a little slow to respond to emails, so I would suggest calling her. She is really sweet and is very open to helping young ladies discern their vocation. :like:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299134918' post='2217399']
I loved the Dominicans ever since I learned about St. Catherine of Siena. She is my role model and I hope to become just like her--minus the extreme penances, of course. I read that she consecrated her virginity before becoming a Dominican tertiary, and that is really neat.

Before I stopped discerning, I was in contact with the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne in New York. I really wanted to go and meet them, but never was able to because of financial reasons or time constraints. I highly recommend them if you haven't contacted them already. Sr. Alma Marie is a little slow to respond to emails, so I would suggest calling her. She is really sweet and is very open to helping young ladies discern their vocation. :like:
[/quote]

I love the Dominicans. They are so diverse and open and I love the Four Pillars and the charism, especially the study part as I am a bit a school nerd. I have to say my favorite Dominican is St. Thomas Aquinas, like I said, I'm a school nerd. I emailed the Dominican Sister of Hawthorne and now I know why I have not heard from them. I will now make a point to call them. Thank you.

I am so glad you never gave up on your vocation. You are quite inspiring.