An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Names To Avoid

Margaret Mary

Margaret Mary

I was recently reading the IRL vocations blog and came across this funny post! [url="http://vocationblog.com/2011/03/religious-names-to-avoid/#comments"]My link[/url]

OnlySunshine

How about:

Sr. Claire Annette (clarinet)
Father A. Long
Sr. Mary Christmas
Cardinal Sin (a real Roman Catholic priest!)

Margaret Mary

How about Sister More Carmel (after Saint Thomas More and Our Lady of Mount Carmel)? :like:

HopefulBride

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299263826' post='2217909']

Sr. Claire Annette (clarinet)

Sr. Mary Christmas

[/quote]

:rotfl: I read these thinking, nothing's wrong with them until I started saying them aloud...and fast too. LOL

[font="Book Antiqua"][size="3"]Sr (or Br) Petroc, after the Cornish saint, St. Petroc.[/size][/font]

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299263826' post='2217909']

Cardinal Sin (a real Roman Catholic priest!)
[/quote]

Yeah, he existed! (he already died) He's the former archbishop of Manila. :) He would welcome people to the palace by saying, "Welcome to the house of Sin!"

Sister Marie

When I was practicing for the actual ceremony of Reception into the Novitiate our Superior thought it was quite funny to scare us. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img] During practice, when it came time in the rite for her to announce our religious name she took great delight in yelling out "Sister Polycarp, Sister Prudentissima, Sister St. Cornelius, Sister St. Sylvester, Sister Gregory the Great." It also made us feel a little less nervous to joke around before the big moment!

Sister Marie

Sister Marie

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299279303' post='2218018']
I rather like Sister Polycarp. :blush:
[/quote]

Haha... well it isn't any Therese, Catherine, or Elizabeth [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img]

I too like Polycarp. Before I was called to religious life I used to joke that I was going to name one of my children Polycarp. Good thing I'm going to be a sister otherwise my children would have had some odd names. lol

franciscanheart

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1299280095' post='2218023']
Haha... well it isn't any Therese, Catherine, or Elizabeth [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img]
[/quote]
Touche. :P

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299281586' post='2218030']
I too like Polycarp. Before I was called to religious life I used to joke that I was going to name one of my children Polycarp. Good thing I'm going to be a sister otherwise my children would have had some odd names. lol
[/quote]
SAME!!! :dance:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299281586' post='2218030']
[/quote]

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299283086' post='2218035']
Touche. :P

SAME!!! :dance:
[/quote]

:hehe:

Y'all are cruel! J/K!

I've always been partial to old-timey names like Catherine :love:, Rose, Samantha, Henry, James, and Michael. If I do have kids, they are all going to be named after saints. ;)