An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lay Carmelites

Cherie

Anyone here associated with, a member of, or has any personal experience with the lay Carmelites?

We had a group come every year for a retreat at the retreat house my former community operated, but I still don't know too much about what their life entails.

I have thought about joining a "third order group" for a long time. I asked God to present me with an opportunity with the Order He wanted when or if He wanted me to look into it. Well, I just found out the parish closest to us in the city we recently moved to has a group of lay Carmelites ... hmm.... :think:

TeresaBenedicta

I don't have any personal experience with a third order. I've encountered a few folks who are members. One with whom I've prayed Morning Prayer during Adoration a few times, when we were both at the same time slot for perpetual adoration, LOL.

I've also met a few of the members and a priest who is involved with the group you are talking about. (Or at least I'm pretty sure it's the same group... I can't imagine that there are two in that area.) All of them [i]very[/i] solid. Striving for holiness. A solid group.

Why not contact them? Ask a few questions? Attend a few get-togethers?

Discern in the same way you discerned religious life and marriage. Same principles apply. :like: Haha!

I'm thinking and praying about joining. The ones I've met are very holy :)

Here's the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_Order_of_Discalced_Carmelites"]Wikipedia article on them[/url].

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

There is a lay Carmelite that works at one of our Catholic stores out here. He's a really nice guy, too.

NovemberFourth

I worked, as a layperson, for the Carmelites. During that time I had a great deal of contact with members of the Third Order. I can recommend them highly. Obviously, as I am based in the UK, I do not know about your area. But I can say that the Carmelites I worked with were all extremely friendly, approachable and dedicated.

N4

i suggest the Third Order of the Incarnate Word

http://www.ive.org/english.org/pag_res.asp?id=32

I am so sorry but I cannot help but suggest this!

Unfortunately the lay Carmelites would be a bit too demanding right now for me as a new mom who hopes to have many more children. But perhaps once my children are older or even grown into adulthood, I will look into it. :)

tnavarro, thanks for your suggestion! I will look into it! :like:

In case anyone else is looking into the Secular Carmelites, this is a good writing on discerning that call:

[url="http://www.ocdswashprov.org/NewsRome/ProfileOCDS.htm"]Profile of an OCDS[/url]