An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contacting A Religious Community

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

I am going to contact the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Michigan and I was wondering if it would be better to contact them by snail mail or phone. I've tried email in the past and it took several months for the Vocation Director to get back to me. Does anyone have experience with contacting them, like Mary Magdalene (user here)? According to my priest, I need to contact them as soon as I can to discuss my vocation. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

HopefulBride

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300305431' post='2221222']
I am going to contact the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Michigan and I was wondering if it would be better to contact them by snail mail or phone. I've tried email in the past and it took several months for the Vocation Director to get back to me. Does anyone have experience with contacting them, like Mary Magdalene (user here)? According to my priest, I need to contact them as soon as I can to discuss my vocation. Thanks in advance for your help! :)
[/quote]

My first contact with the first ever community I discerned with was by phone and it was nice to have a real person to talk to. As with the community I am to enter, I submitted an inquiry form and in the notes I put that would prefer a phone call; sister called me back two days later and we chatted for over an hour!

I would say go for the phone call - however if there is an inquiry form, go ahead and fill it out so that they have some quick basic info on you.

Good luck and be sure to tell us how your contact with them went :)

I e-mailed them and heard back from them within a couple of days. After exchanging a few e-mails, we set up a time to talk. I must say, they are a dear community and the vocation director is great. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. How exciting!

Praying!

Edited by Santa Cruz

Mary Magdalene

Phone them, Sr. Catherine Marie the vocations director (RSM) is really nice. She picks up her phone 90% of the time if she's not too busy at work. Good luck!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1300315531' post='2221273']
Phone them, Sr. Catherine Marie the vocations director (RSM) is really nice. She picks up her phone 90% of the time if she's not too busy at work. Good luck!
[/quote]

Fabulous! Thanks! It will probably be a few days before I contact them because I'm getting sick from allergies so I sound really gross and nasally. I wouldn't want to gross her out. LOL!

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Santa Cruz' timestamp='1300313689' post='2221267']
I e-mailed them and heard back from them within a couple of days. After exchanging a few e-mails, we set up a time to talk. I must say, they are a dear community and the vocation director is great. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. How exciting!

Praying!
[/quote]

If that's the case, then she was probably a little too busy to respond to emails. I think I'll call first and then as our communication continues, I'll probably email her. :)