Era Might Posted March 20, 2011 Posted March 20, 2011 Seriously, I probably haven't heard the name "Libya" once in the last decade, and all of a sudden we're in the middle of a war. What's going on? Somebody clue me in please.
Winchester Posted March 20, 2011 Posted March 20, 2011 This [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWdHVtyybAY&feature=related[/media]
Winchester Posted March 20, 2011 Posted March 20, 2011 [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M8IaLjbQbY&feature=related[/media]
Seven77 Posted March 20, 2011 Posted March 20, 2011 Apparently, Qaddafi just doesn't want to relinquish control of the umbrella.
Brother Adam Posted March 20, 2011 Posted March 20, 2011 [quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1300648838' post='2221954'] Seriously, I probably haven't heard the name "Libya" once in the last decade, and all of a sudden we're in the middle of a war. What's going on? Somebody clue me in please. [/quote] I have heard it in the context of terrorism and sex trafficking, but that's about it. Apparently he is attacking his own people who are trying to overthrow him. The UN passed a resolution to declare a no fly zone over Lybia and allied nations starting striking.
BG45 Posted March 20, 2011 Posted March 20, 2011 [quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1300658925' post='2221968'] I have heard it in the context of terrorism and sex trafficking, but that's about it. Apparently he is attacking his own people who are trying to overthrow him. The UN passed a resolution to declare a no fly zone over Lybia and allied nations starting striking. [/quote] This. He's facing an all out civil war after nearly losing to a popular uprising that started in protest form and has been butchering civilians. With the declaration of the No Fly Zone a lot of western nations are moving in to enforce it, including the United States. Ironic given that Senator Barack Obama once stated, "The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation".
Sternhauser Posted March 20, 2011 Posted March 20, 2011 [quote name='BG45' timestamp='1300661051' post='2221973'] This. He's facing an all out civil war after nearly losing to a popular uprising that started in protest form and has been butchering civilians. [/quote] They're not "civilians." They're "insurgents." ~Sternhauser
CatherineM Posted March 20, 2011 Posted March 20, 2011 Economic collapse, no jobs, then no food, and the people rebel. Been studying the French Revolution this weekend.
Chamomile Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 Doesn't Congress need to give approval for military action to be taken against a country that's not directly threatening us? And even one that is threatening us, I thought...
Nihil Obstat Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 [quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1300745164' post='2222151'] Doesn't Congress need to give approval for military action to be taken against a country that's not directly threatening us? And even one that is threatening us, I thought... [/quote] Haven't you heard? We're fighting for freedom! Bringing democracy to the oppressed! Nobody is declaring war; they're declaring peace!!![size="1"] (by killing lots and lots of people)[/size] It's simply undemocratic to question this military intervention, even the slightest bit. If we suggest that we need approval for such actions, well then the terrorists have already won. Freedom for all! Anything that is not mainstream Western culture is probably evil from which the poor unwashed masses must be liberated!!!
AudreyGrace Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1300745384' post='2222152'] Haven't you heard? [b][i][u]We're[/u][/i][/b] fighting for freedom! Bringing democracy to the oppressed! Nobody is declaring war; they're declaring peace!!![size="1"] (by killing lots and lots of people)[/size] It's simply undemocratic to question this military intervention, even the slightest bit. If we suggest that we need approval for such actions, well then the terrorists have already won. Freedom for all! Anything that is not mainstream Western culture is probably evil from which the poor unwashed masses must be liberated!!! [/quote] Aren't you Canadian
Nihil Obstat Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 [quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1300746870' post='2222157'] Aren't you Canadian [/quote] Yes, and the only reason we're not just as bad, if not worse, is because we're smaller and have less people to do bad things.
BG45 Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 (edited) [quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1300746870' post='2222157'] Aren't you Canadian [/quote] His people are bombing the Libyans too. Edit: So it's not just a one liner, always good to provide a link to the Beeb: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12781682 And Stern, I consider them civilians when they're unarmed, I consider the armed rebels to be the insurgents. Edited March 21, 2011 by BG45
Nihil Obstat Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 (edited) [quote name='BG45' timestamp='1300747366' post='2222161'] His people are bombing the Libyans too. [/quote] 'Tis true. Edited March 21, 2011 by Nihil Obstat
BG45 Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1300747386' post='2222162'] 'Tis true. [/quote] Were you more surprised by that or was I? Because my first response was "That doesn't seem like Canadian foreign policy..."
CatherineM Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 A guy from the Arab League, which is part of the coalition, was on TV today complaining that he thought it was going to be just a no-fly zone, not bombing.
Nihil Obstat Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 [quote name='BG45' timestamp='1300747569' post='2222164'] Were you more surprised by that or was I? Because my first response was "That doesn't seem like Canadian foreign policy..." [/quote] Yeah, a little bit. I had watched some of the navy start the trip over a week or two ago though, so I knew the military was already hanging out waiting for when you-know-what hit the fan. Iunno, I don't expect much out of our governments these days.
Chamomile Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 (edited) I know the UN was started with good intentions, but it seems strange that an autonomous - and now very liberal - political entity can sort of hijack a bunch of nations' military forces... Edited to say, if this sounds stupid and uneducated, it probably is because I don't know much about politics. And really try not to get too involved because it gives me a headache [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/brickwall.gif[/img] Edited March 22, 2011 by Chamomile
Winchester Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 [quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1300749398' post='2222171'] A guy from the Arab League, which is part of the coalition, was on TV today complaining that he thought it was going to be just a no-fly zone, not bombing. [/quote] Setting up a good no-fly zone would begin with destroying known military airfields. Apparently, there are Libyan fighter jets that launch from palaces, as well.
Seven77 Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 I actually thought I knew what I was going on but yesterday i was really surprised by the bombing... I'm a little perplexed by this course of action.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now