An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hospitality

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

My sister and I are working on a trip to San Francisco before I leave to enter. After looking at prices of both airfare and lodging at a hostel, I didn't think we could go. It occured to me that perhaps we could ask one of the religious communities in the city if they would be willing to give us a place to stay while we are in the city. Looking at the communities in the city, it only looked like there were the Carmelites, the Sister of Pepetual Adoration, and the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception that may be able to help us. I'm not sure if there are any others in the city, but would it be okay to ask to stay for a few nights? We would be willing to give a donation and also help with anything they need. What are your thoughts on this sort of thing?

I think that would be a fine thing to do - the worst they can do is say no, and what a beautiful way to spend your trip to San Francisco if they say yes!

OnlySunshine

Maybe you should contact the Little Sisters of the Poor in San Francisco, CA. After all, they take a fourth vow of hospitality! :hehe:

They have a house in San Francisco called St. Anne's.

[url="http://www.littlesistersofthepoorsanfrancisco.org/"]LSP of San Francisco[/url]

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300938588' post='2222865']
Ok, fill me in. What is the attraction to San Francisco for you Franciscans? Is it the name? rotfl
[/quote]
:hehe: I hadn't even thought of that. I've never seen the ocean and I hear the view in Cali is fantastic. :blush:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300941964' post='2222885']
:hehe: I hadn't even thought of that. I've never seen the ocean and I hear the view in Cali is fantastic. :blush:
[/quote]

I had a friend that went a few years ago and she raved about it. She loved the restaurants there and the sight-seeing was fantastic. I've never been to California or even remotely close to the West Coast, so I have no idea. :)

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1300929927' post='2222828']
+JMJ

My sister and I are working on a trip to San Francisco before I leave to enter. After looking at prices of both airfare and lodging at a hostel, I didn't think we could go. It occured to me that perhaps we could ask one of the religious communities in the city if they would be willing to give us a place to stay while we are in the city. Looking at the communities in the city, it only looked like there were the Carmelites, the Sister of Pepetual Adoration, and the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception that may be able to help us. I'm not sure if there are any others in the city, but would it be okay to ask to stay for a few nights? We would be willing to give a donation and also help with anything they need. What are your thoughts on this sort of thing?
[/quote]

I think it sounds like a fantastic idea. And I bet if you told them you were entering, that they'd at the very least think about it!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1300930530' post='2222833']
I think that would be a fine thing to do - the worst they can do is say no, and what a beautiful way to spend your trip to San Francisco if they say yes!
[/quote]

My sister wants me to write/email them today to see if it is possible... I'm hoping for a yes :)
[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300930940' post='2222836']
Maybe you should contact the Little Sisters of the Poor in San Francisco, CA. After all, they take a fourth vow of hospitality! :hehe:

They have a house in San Francisco called St. Anne's.

[url="http://www.littlesistersofthepoorsanfrancisco.org/"]LSP of San Francisco[/url]
[/quote]
Thanks! I did not know they were in San Francisco. The Archdiocesan website does not list any of the religious communities within it, so it is difficult finding how many there are!

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300937936' post='2222860']
:o I was thinking of doing the same thing (and even looked at airfare this morning)!
[/quote]
I think we need to stop this whole 'thinking similarly' thing.:blink:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300938588' post='2222865']
Ok, fill me in. What is the attraction to San Francisco for you Franciscans? Is it the name? rotfl
[/quote]

:lol2: Actually, my sister is dying to go to San Francisco so she can visit Haight/Ashbury. She continues to pester me about how she MUST go and I HAVE to be the one to take her. I'm most surprised that she would be willing to stay with a bunch of nuns if that means she could go, lol. The Sisters of Perpetual Adoration are actually located on Ashbury as well. Airfare to San Francisco is mucho expensive though. For the time that I would be able to go, it would be about $800 for the two of us! I'm sure it will only go up from here!

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300941964' post='2222885']
[/quote]
[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300947340' post='2222911']
I had a friend that went a few years ago and she raved about it. She loved the restaurants there and the sight-seeing was fantastic. I've never been to California or even remotely close to the West Coast, so I have no idea. :)
[/quote]
Never been to the West Coast, but I've seen the Pacific from the other side, lol. My sister and I were researching the retaurants that were feautred on Diner, Drive-Ins, and Dives and there are several in San Francisco. I'm sure it will be beautiful though...
[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1300972549' post='2222934']
I think it sounds like a fantastic idea. And I bet if you told them you were entering, that they'd at the very least think about it!
[/quote]
That is what I am hoping will give us a little bit of an edge... :blush:

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1300976165' post='2222943']
I think we need to stop this whole 'thinking similarly' thing. :blink:
[/quote]
:unsure: yeah... probably...

I also want to go to San Fran specifically because if my hopes came true (my impatient hoping) and I were to enter someplace this fall, I would miss out on getting to go with a bunch of friends to San Fran this fall for a get together. So, I'd just go early and bring back all my tips. :P

But yeah... now I definitely don't want to go. :| I'll just go for an extra visit to NYC. :P

OnlySunshine

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1300976165' post='2222943']
I think we need to stop this whole 'thinking similarly' thing.:blink:
[/quote]

rotfl

It IS weird how you Franciscans think alike, though I cannot talk because I am attracted to the Franciscans too and I often think the same things as franciscanheart. The same happened before Laetita left for the Dominicans in the UK. She and I were always posting the same things. :crazy:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300995292' post='2222999']
:unsure: yeah... probably...

I also want to go to San Fran specifically because if my hopes came true (my impatient hoping) and I were to enter someplace this fall, I would miss out on getting to go with a bunch of friends to San Fran this fall for a get together. So, I'd just go early and bring back all my tips. :P

[b]But yeah... now I definitely don't want to go. :| I'll just go for an extra visit to NYC. :P[/b]
[/quote]

I think that's the most excellent idea. Go visit our Sisters (well, I wish they were MY Sisters :hehe: ). Gosh, I miss them! I really hope I get to see them sometime this year when they come down.