4588686 Posted March 31, 2011 Posted March 31, 2011 [quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1301446487' post='2224486'] я могу сказать дом в русском ( I can say "Here (is the) house." in Russian or even say "I understand Russian" which is stupid because I don't.) [/quote] That's not how you say "Here is the house" Здесь дом (zdes dome roughly, I don't know how to offocially transliterate) is how you say 'here is the house'. I think you tried to fit too much in a single sentence. I don't know. My Russian is pretty degraded. To answer the question: I can speak English. I really don't speak Russian and Latin although I have a background in both. I know bits of Arabic, Yiddish, and German. But by bits I mean really tiny bits. Someday, I would like tp speak: Arabic, German, Attic Greek, Latin, Urdu, Farsi. It would be a good idea to learn Spanish but I really have no passion for it.
Nunsense Posted March 31, 2011 Posted March 31, 2011 [quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1301544320' post='2224962'] That's not how you say "Here is the house" Здесь дом (zdes dome roughly, I don't know how to offocially transliterate) is how you say 'here is the house'. I think you tried to fit too much in a single sentence. I don't know. My Russian is pretty degraded. [/quote] That's what I get for trying humour! The two sentences were supposed to be "I speak Russklish." (or some other made up word to indicate pigeon Russian and English, and the second part of the sentence was I can say "Here is the house." which I learned as "vot dom" (in English sounds). Perhaps my humour was too heavy handed but the fact that I said, Spanglish and Franglais was supposed to be a clue that my foreign language skills are always a blend of my Yankee American English plus whatever few words I managed to pick up of the other language. Also, the yahoo translator didn't like my made up words obviously and when it converted them to Russian - it lost the plot. I imagine the same thing happened for the Japanese, but so far we obviously don't have any Japanese critics out there! Sorry for the confusion - it was a feeble attempt at a joke.
Archaeology cat Posted March 31, 2011 Posted March 31, 2011 English (British & American) a very little bit of German, but I've forgotten most of my German I can read some French (especially if it's about archaeology), Biblical Hebrew, and Middle Egyptian. I can understand a little bit of Latin, just what I've heard at Mass (so the Creed, Agnus Dei, etc)
Cherie Posted March 31, 2011 Posted March 31, 2011 [quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1301571310' post='2225010'] [b]English (British[/b] & American) [/quote]
MIKolbe Posted March 31, 2011 Posted March 31, 2011 spanish, but not puerto rican spanish..they speak entirely too fast.cuban spanish..yeah i guess.. spanish spanish- somewhat but the lisp throws me mexican spanish- the most comfortable with
let_go_let_God Posted March 31, 2011 Posted March 31, 2011 English (American and British) Spanish - Enough to get by and have my Hispanic parishioners laugh at me ASL - Fluent with one handed alphabet and can speak enough to help someone and do a rough translation. God bless- LGLG
Lil'Monster Posted March 31, 2011 Posted March 31, 2011 i made up a language when i was two years old and no it's not jibberish! lol
homeschoolmom Posted March 31, 2011 Posted March 31, 2011 [quote name='Tony' timestamp='1301438266' post='2224428'] I speak English and Sarcrasm [/quote] Oh,[i] that's [/i]cool. I speak Spanish, but I was much more fluid years ago... use it or lose it.
Mercy me Posted April 3, 2011 Posted April 3, 2011 I speak English. That is the only language that I speak. However, when I was a kid I lived in a Spanish speaking country and to this day I can go from 0 to fluent in Spanish without thinking about it. But ask me to give you the Spanish word for something and I can't. It is very odd. Spanish is in my head somewhere. Ijsut don't know how to easily access it. That and sometimes when I stub my toe or something, the exclamation is in Spanish. I studied Russian after I picked up the first year of it on a 2 week visit. I am out of practice.
Era Might Posted April 3, 2011 Posted April 3, 2011 (edited) [quote name='Mercy me' timestamp='1301855356' post='2225663']That and sometimes when I stub my toe or something, the exclamation is in Spanish. [/quote] Haha. Yeah, there's certain times when I want to say something in English, and I think, "I wish I could just say this in Spanish, it'd be so much simpler and elegant." But then there's times in Spanish when I wish could just say it in English (Spanish can use formal expressions sometimes that will take like 10 syllables to finish, and I could say the equivalent in two English syllables). Edited April 3, 2011 by Era Might
Norseman82 Posted April 4, 2011 Posted April 4, 2011 [quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1301573464' post='2225014'] spanish, but not puerto rican spanish..they speak entirely too fast. cuban spanish..yeah i guess.. spanish spanish- somewhat but the lisp throws me mexican spanish- the most comfortable with [/quote] What? No Jewish Spanish?
InPersonaChriste Posted April 4, 2011 Author Posted April 4, 2011 [quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1301881862' post='2225770'] Does whale count? [/quote] Yes, But only if you have short term memory loss and are friends with a clownfish.
Lil'Monster Posted April 4, 2011 Posted April 4, 2011 [quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1301884563' post='2225787'] Yes, But only if you have short term memory loss and are friends with a clownfish. [/quote]
MithLuin Posted April 5, 2011 Posted April 5, 2011 English. I know a good bit of Spanish, but am nowhere near fluent. Basically, I know enough to correct my students when they say something rude in Spanish thinking I won't catch on. I studied it in high school and passed the AP exam...but that was awhile ago, and I've only spent one week in a Spanish speaking country. My sister is fluent though. I studied French in elementary school. I can count to 100 and recite John 1:1 and ask a few basic questions. My other sister studied it all the way through college and lived in Paris for a semester - she's fluent. I know a handful of words and phrases in Italian, German and Polish. And...I can translate some words and phrases into Sindarin or Quenya, Tolkien's two main invented elvish languages.
Mikaele Posted April 5, 2011 Posted April 5, 2011 English, Samoan = ) [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oWMzitKS2I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oWMzitKS2I[/url]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now