An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictine Sisters Of The Corpus Christi Monastery

Chiara Francesco

Chiara Francesco

[url="http://www.benedictinesistersccm.com/%20"]http://www.benedictinesistersccm. com/[/url]

Looks like a wonderful Benedictine community who take older vocations.

Not sure if they are a community that has been around and recently went back to the full traditional Benedictine habit as there is a picture of several sisters in a white habit and modified veil and they mention a sister that was solemn professed in the trad Benedictine habit [b]OR[/b]

This sister was in another community and switched to this Benedictine community? There are a few pictures of the Ann Arbor Dominicans with them - this Benedictine community is also in Ann Arbor.

Anyone know if they are new or just brought back the traditional habit? Either way it is great they have the traditional full habit and take older vocations. I haven't thoroughly had the chance to read the whole site yet.

Here is a 5 page article on them for additional info: [url="http://www.thecatholicedge.com/benedictine-sisters.php"]http://www.thecathol...ine-sisters.php[/url]

After reading this article, it seems they are teaching sisters. Bit of the article:

[i]"Our "semi-active/semi-contemplative" apostolate balances well with the gifts that each vocation brings into community with her. We accept all vocations, with no age limit and heartily welcome older vocations, as well as the younger ones! * Age limitations/requirements: Wisdom and Experience encouraged, but not "required": NONE: * We go well beyond the "limits" of 40, 50, 60 and even 70! * [b]Many religious in other orders remark that "older vocations are harder to train"!* * Well, we reply: While we older vocations may be at times, "set in our ways", where there is a Will (of God) there will always be...a WAY!

[/b]The Holy Spirit can do amazing things to assist our Novice Mistress and Formation Directors here in assisting an "unformed" soul progress as easily along the path to sanctity as a much younger vocation of 18 or one in her 20's and 30's!
* We welcome the wisdom and experience that only older vocations can give us! * Our active, teaching apostolate springs forth from our contemplative prayer life.

If a woman between the ages of 18, late middle-age to her senior years wishes to find out more about our way of life, she may write or call or email Mother Regina Mary, OSB, at: Corpus Christi Monastery/ 4485 Earhart Road/ Ann Arbor, MICHIGAN 48105-9710 or CALL: 734-995-3876 or email us at: [email="benedictines@rc.net"] benedictines@rc.net[/email] "[/i]

Edited by Chiara Francesco

Chiara Francesco

That link above doesn't work when I click on it in PM - try this leaving out the " / " : [url="http://www.benedictinesistersccm.com"]http://www.benedictinesistersccm.com[/url]

Final profession pictures from site: http://www.benedictinesistersccm.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11374008

Clothing ceremony: http://www.benedictinesistersccm.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11249478

Edited by Chiara Francesco

• 5 months later...

My only reason for bumping this thread is:
an entirely different VC thread got kind of hijacked with a question about contact info for this Benedictine community.
And rather than respond to the question at that other thread, I will post here as this is a better thread in which to provide the information.

My source is this link: [url="http://www.thecatholicedge.com/benedictine-sisters5.php"]http://www.thecatholicedge.com/benedictine-sisters5.php[/url]

And here is the relevant statement:

"Priscilla Van Buskirk is currently in charge of e-mail vocation mailings and information and questions,
should interested persons and prospective candidates wish to apply and contact the Benedictine
Sisters of Corpus Christi Monastery [Ann Arbor, Michigan]."

Not sure but it is possible that Priscilla is an aspirant or postulant there.
It does appear that the solemn-professed nuns are too busy in school administration (like, principal) or teaching to handle an e-mail account devoted to anything outside their school careers.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1316644868' post='2308302']
My only reason for bumping this thread is:
an entirely different VC thread got kind of hijacked with a question about contact info for this Benedictine community.
And rather than respond to the question at that other thread, I will post here as this is a better thread in which to provide the information.

My source is this link: [url="http://www.thecatholicedge.com/benedictine-sisters5.php"]http://www.thecathol...ne-sisters5.php[/url]

And here is the relevant statement:

"Priscilla Van Buskirk is currently in charge of e-mail vocation mailings and information and questions,
should interested persons and prospective candidates wish to apply and contact the Benedictine
Sisters of Corpus Christi Monastery [Ann Arbor, Michigan]."

Not sure but it is possible that Priscilla is an aspirant or postulant there.
It does appear that the solemn-professed nuns are too busy in school administration (like, principal) or teaching to handle an e-mail account devoted to anything outside their school careers.
[/quote]

Since I 'hijacked' the other thread, I guess I have to apologise, but I thought since MM was talking about going to Michigan, that thread was as good a place as any to ask about these nuns who are in Ann Arbor.... and since I didn't want to start a whole new thread about it. But seeing there is a thread here already (which I didn't realize since it stated back in April when I was on dial up and didn't stay online much), I will respond in this thread now.

As for their excuses about not answering emails - still seems a bit lame to me since they are an active community (teaching) and should be able to deal with worldly questions. Their students must know about email, so I assume their teachers would too??

And if they can't email, and their one email person can't respond in a timely manner, then they could at least respond to a phone query (or two). I offered to let them phone collect as well, so money shouldn't have been the problem, and I also said anytime of day or night, so time zones shouldn't have been a problem either.

I was concerned that perhaps they didn't receive any of the emails or web messages on their site, but I don't know how they could have missed the several phone messages I left since they had either an answering machine or voicemail.

Anyway, it doesn't matter in the long run since, if it is meant to happen, then my enquiries will eventually bear fruit, but I do think that it sends a funny message about them. I am a teacher myself (that is one reason why they interested me), so the whole thing does make me wonder a little.

But stranger things than this have occured with communities.... :)

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1316657624' post='2308377']

Since I 'hijacked' the other thread, I guess I have to apologise, but I thought since MM was talking about going to Michigan, that thread was as good a place as any to ask about these nuns who are in Ann Arbor.... and since I didn't want to start a whole new thread about it. But seeing there is a thread here already (which I didn't realize since it stated back in April when I was on dial up and didn't stay online much), I will respond in this thread now.

As for their excuses about not answering emails - still seems a bit lame to me since they are an active community (teaching) and should be able to deal with worldly questions. Their students must know about email, so I assume their teachers would too??

And if they can't email, and their one email person can't respond in a timely manner, then they could at least respond to a phone query (or two). I offered to let them phone collect as well, so money shouldn't have been the problem, and I also said anytime of day or night, so time zones shouldn't have been a problem either.

I was concerned that perhaps they didn't receive any of the emails or web messages on their site, but I don't know how they could have missed the several phone messages I left since they had either an answering machine or voicemail.

Anyway, it doesn't matter in the long run since, if it is meant to happen, then my enquiries will eventually bear fruit, but I do think that it sends a funny message about them. I am a teacher myself (that is one reason why they interested me), so the whole thing does make me wonder a little.

But stranger things than this have occured with communities.... :)
[/quote]

I know how difficult it is to have your messages go unanswered. I've had that happen several times with several different communities and I learned to write it off as God shutting the door since it was not His will. It's difficult, but, if He truly meant for it to happen, He would have made it so. Perhaps He has something even better in mind. Did you happen to get in contact with the Benedictine Sisters of Grace and Compassion in Brighton, UK? My friend really talked them up before leaving and she is a critical care/travel nurse so her experience will really come in handy there. I see you were a nurse, too, and are a CNA now. Perhaps you could contact them?

Don't worry about posting on my thread. I didn't respond because I'm not going to be in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area, so I wouldn't be able to have any opportunity to see these Benedictine Sisters. :blush:

PS -- My friend just landed in England a little while ago! I am so glad that she made it safely (I'm sure she is too since she is a nervous flier and has to take Valium when she travels). :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1316669846' post='2308445']

I know how difficult it is to have your messages go unanswered. I've had that happen several times with several different communities and I learned to write it off as God shutting the door since it was not His will. It's difficult, but, if He truly meant for it to happen, He would have made it so. Perhaps He has something even better in mind. Did you happen to get in contact with the Benedictine Sisters of Grace and Compassion in Brighton, UK? My friend really talked them up before leaving and she is a critical care/travel nurse so her experience will really come in handy there. I see you were a nurse, too, and are a CNA now. Perhaps you could contact them?

Don't worry about posting on my thread. I didn't respond because I'm not going to be in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area, so I wouldn't be able to have any opportunity to see these Benedictine Sisters. :blush:

PS -- My friend just landed in England a little while ago! I am so glad that she made it safely (I'm sure she is too since she is a nervous flier and has to take Valium when she travels). :)
[/quote]

Well, this whole idea about God's will being determined by people who don't reply is a little 'iffy' to me. I got my present job by not giving up when I didn't hear back from them. I contacted them a second time and was told that my first application never got to them, and they gave me the job. I can't give up on things just because I get no answer - I need to make sure that the messages got through in the first place. I think of God's will as being more like when they get my message, they decide that they dont' want me - that's God's will to me.

So, I probably won't give up trying to contact people until I actually hear back - either positive or negative - at least I know that I got through. And since these nuns are Benedictine - hospitality is their charism, so getting back to me should be important to them. Anyway, I'm focusing on England right now, but will see if I can at least get some kind of acknowledgement at some point in time from CC.

• 1 year later...

After reviewing this thread and thinking and praying about it, this is what I've done

a) all posts starting from 17 sept 2013 have been hidden

b) the post from 09 december 2012 was also hidden

The 09 december post mentioned the following website (that has more current information pertaining to the community) http://benedictine.webs.com/status.htm

From the website this statement is present:

"The status of the foundation is in developing process and under the guidance of an excellent orthodox Catholic canon lawyer with expertise in canon law for religious."

Given this information from the website, this community should not be discussed in Phatmass until their status changes.  The original post from 09 december did state contact info, and that information can be found in the link.

A reminder -- personal attacks are not allowed.

Closing the thread.  Any questions/issues please PM the mods (especially me for VS).  Thanks.