An Old School Catholic Message Board

Maid Of Honor In A Suit

dUSt

OK, so here's the question...

Is it okay for a maid of honor in a wedding to wear a p[font="Arial"]a[/font]nts-suit instead of a dress?

My cousin will be getting married in the church this June. I just found out that the maid of honor is gay, and my cousin told her that if she feels uncomfortable wearing a dress, she didn't have to--that she could wear a p[font="Arial"]a[/font]nts-suit that matched the other bridesmaid's dresses... I asked if they passed this idea by the priest, and they didn't. They don't think it's a big deal so don't see a need to let the priest know before-hand.

I strongly encouraged them to talk to the priest about it.

Thoughts? Advice? Big deal? Non-issue? What do you think?

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1302575990' post='2227684']

Is it okay for a maid of honor in a wedding to wear a p[font="Arial"]a[/font]nts-suit instead of a dress?

My cousin will be getting married in the church this June. I just found out that the maid of honor is gay, and my cousin told her that if she feels uncomfortable wearing a dress, she didn't have to--that she could wear a p[font="Arial"]a[/font]nts-suit that matched the other bridesmaid's dresses... I asked if they passed this idea by the priest, and they didn't. They don't think it's a big deal so don't see a need to let the priest know before-hand.

[/quote]

I think they should at least run it by the priest, if they don't that might throw the priest for a loop

IcePrincessKRS

I don't think the attire is as much of a big deal as them having someone who is (possibly? probably?) living a lifestyle contrary to the Church's teaching stand in as their witness. I mean, would it be a problem if the whole wedding party wore pantsuits? It's weird, but I don't think it breaks any rules. I think drawing attention to the girl's lifestyle may be cause for scandal, though, and that is where my concern would be. Talking to the priest about it--the whole scenario--is something that I think should be covered.

TeresaBenedicta

It's certainly odd... And I'm sure the priest would like a heads up about it... but I'm not sure there's anything [i]against[/i] wearing a pant suit... Still. I'm sure the priest would like a heads up about it.

AudreyGrace

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1302576329' post='2227690']
I don't think the attire is as much of a big deal a[u]s them having someone who is (possibly? probably?) living a lifestyle contrary to the Church's teaching stand in as their witness.[/u] I mean, would it be a problem if the whole wedding party wore pantsuits? It's weird, but I don't think it breaks any rules. I think drawing attention to the girl's lifestyle may be cause for scandal, though, and that is where my concern would be. Talking to the priest about it--the whole scenario--is something that I think should be covered.
[/quote]

iawtc.

if she's acting on her same-sex attraction, then it seems odd that she would be a good maid of honor for a Catholic couple. How is a maid of honor going to help out the Bride throughout her marriage if the maid of honor does not have the same views and affection towards Holy Matrimony as the Church does? I might sound harsh here, but that's what I'd be more concerned about than what she was wearing.

regina_coeli

A pant suit is certainly more modest for wear in church than all the strapless bridal and bridesmaid gowns I have seen. Do any parishes have rules about bridal attire that are shared at the time the wedding is scheduled?

Edited by regina_coeli

fides' Jack

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1302576329' post='2227690']
I don't think the attire is as much of a big deal as them having someone who is (possibly? probably?) living a lifestyle contrary to the Church's teaching stand in as their witness. I mean, would it be a problem if the whole wedding party wore pantsuits? It's weird, but I don't think it breaks any rules. I think drawing attention to the girl's lifestyle may be cause for scandal, though, and that is where my concern would be. Talking to the priest about it--the whole scenario--is something that I think should be covered.
[/quote]

This * 1000.

[/quote]
As it's essentially publicly flaunting an immoral lifestyle in the wedding, I think it would be an issue.

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1302649516' post='2227943']
only lesbians wear pantsuits?
[/quote]
the EPSS do.

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1302649516' post='2227943']
only lesbians wear pantsuits?
[/quote]
Only lesbians would wear them as maids of honor.

[/quote]
i think it's wack.

If you, dUSt, were getting married, and had a GB Packers themed wedding, where all the groomsmen wore stupid packer memorabilia. If you asked me to be one of your groomsmen, I would not say..'oh, sorry...i am from Pittsburgh, and therefore by law, a Steeler fan. I feel uncomfortable wearing Packers stuff.' I would wear the packer junk because you asked me. It is 'your' day, and we are friends (yes, this is the first time i am publicly admitting that), so I would sacrifice my comfort for 8 hours, and wear the stupid packer stuff for you.

If she can't wear a dress, she's wack and obviously doesn't care about sacrificing for her friend. But then, the world is continually turning into a 'what about me..i need to be affirmed in every possible way' type society.

w/e

she's wack.

I know this has been touched on here, but, its worrisome that they are not telling the priest that she is gay, moreso than what she would be wearing. The standard practise for a Catholic wedding includes the celebration of the mass and the distribution of the Eucharistic Sacrament which will be offered to the wedding party. Will this "gay" woman accept the sacrifice, should the priest be told this so he can ask her if she needs reconciliation to receive the sacrament discreetly before the mass, I would think that would be appropriate. If she refuses, or says that God loves her as she is, he can then decide to honor the sacrament by refusing to offer it to her, or he could instruct her to fold her arms across her chest and bless her like those who can not yet receive. It would seem to me that this couple would be somewhat culpable in the sin if a "gay" woman accepted the Blessed Eucharist and they knowingly did nothing about it.

ed

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1302649809' post='2227944']
the EPSS do.
[/quote]
I don't know what that means :sad2:

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1302650211' post='2227946']
Only lesbians would wear them as maids of honor.
[/quote]
Oh. learn something new everyday