Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Just want to know how many here are Muslim converts. :)

homeschoolmom
Posted

hmm... well, none to my knowledge... Interesting...

Posted

I know a woman who went the other way, but she's not on phatmass.

Posted

i'm married to a muslim, and it is so hard for him to listen to me about my religion...we can talk about anything, but religion! :wacko:

Posted

Wow, that must be difficult sometimes LTNgurl! Is he a practising muslim? Am I right in thinking that it's acceptable for muslim men to marry outside their faith but not for muslim women?

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Ellenita' date='Apr 29 2004, 10:20 AM'] Wow, that must be difficult sometimes LTNgurl! Is he a practising muslim? Am I right in thinking that it's acceptable for muslim men to marry outside their faith but not for muslim women? [/quote]
From what I understand, you are right, Ellenita. I believe that in the Muslim religion, all of the children are whatever the husband is. Therefore in the eyes of Muslims the children of a Christian man + Muslim woman would be Christian and a very bad thing. But I don't know this for sure...

Posted

Thats interesting HS_mom! It's the opposite in the Jewish faith isn't it?!

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Ellenita' date='Apr 29 2004, 11:21 AM'] Thats interesting HS_mom! It's the opposite in the Jewish faith isn't it?! [/quote]
Yes, I believe so. This is where Christianity differs from them both... you are a Christian because of Christ and who you are in His family... not whose family you are born into. :)

Posted

Amen to that! :D

And not only that....it's a royal family! :king: :queen:

Posted

No in the Jewish faith the female typically carries the religion

Posted

That's what we said Vianney....it's the opposite to the muslim belief!
:D

Posted

[quote name='Ellenita' date='Apr 29 2004, 10:20 AM'] Wow, that must be difficult sometimes LTNgurl! Is he a practising muslim? Am I right in thinking that it's acceptable for muslim men to marry outside their faith but not for muslim women? [/quote]
Yes it is difficult at times, but he is not a practicing muslim, just by blood, but he still defends his faith.

Now that i found out i am pregnant, we are having difficult time deciding our child's religion. He believes that our child should be Muslim b/c he has Muslim blood. but i believe like the Jewish ppl believe in (carrying the religion to my child).

CreepyCrawler
Posted

a friend of mine is muslim and that's what she was telling me, the kids are supposed to be the religion of the father. but maybe if you're extra pious then he'll see that catholicism is really really good and will let the kids be raised catholic. i think gererally muslims respect christians and jews who are really orthodox and godly so it's possible. pray hard.

Posted

i know someone in college that converted to christianity from islam, which i imagine must have been very difficult for her considering her entire family is islamic. but she isn't catholic.

Posted

according to my husband, if he converts to another religion, his family will diswon him.

Posted

He is right......

Certainly there are muslim girls who have found they have lost their family, community and support structure as a result of choosing to leave Islam. In some cases, the girl has had to go into hiding as the family has threatened violence towards them 'for bringing shame on the family'.

Since it can be a huge emotional culture shock, it's really important that we are aware of it and provide support where it's needed!

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

LTNgurl, I met a woman in a similar situation to yours last week. She has been married to a muslim for many years.

They had three children and because her husband wasn't practising, they agreed that the children wouldn't be raised in either faith - she regrets this decision now as the children who are now all young adults appear to have no belief in God at all, but she says it was the only possible thing they could do at the time. Her husband is very liberal about his faith as long as she appears to be about hers so she has had to keep the fact that she has gone to Mass quiet - she lives in a muslim country so it hasn't been easy to get to church.

Spanish press was reporting today that the Vatican has just issued advice for women who marry muslim men. It particuarly concerns signing a law which gives the husband greater 'rights' over any children than the wife.

Posted

If his/her family lived in Middle east and they found out the he/she converted, they may kill him/her. LTN is ur husband trying to convert u? Is that what u mean? I'm middleeastern so I get some info on this stuff. btw while we're on this I might as well make it clear, from what I know, there is nowhere in the Koran where it talks about killing Christians. Although it does talk something about nonconverts but there are diff ways to interpret it, just like we interpret the Bible so diff from prots.

Posted

[quote name='musturde' date='May 16 2004, 09:43 AM'] If his/her family lived in Middle east and they found out the he/she converted, they may kill him/her. LTN is ur husband trying to convert u? Is that what u mean? I'm middleeastern so I get some info on this stuff. btw while we're on this I might as well make it clear, from what I know, there is nowhere in the Koran where it talks about killing Christians. Although it does talk something about nonconverts but there are diff ways to interpret it, just like we interpret the Bible so diff from prots. [/quote]
my husband knows better than trying to convert me to his religion :P (i respect him and his belief, although i may not agree with it), but i do have a koran translated in english, (he wants me to know/read about his religion and he also reads the bible)

geetarplayer
Posted

I thought the Koran was not allowed to be translated into English because it's against the rules or something.

-Mark

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...