An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Order Would You Create?

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

This is purely for fun and not meant to be taken seriously. I remember seeing a topic like this somewhere else a few years ago (I believe on Catholic Answers Forum), and thought it was really neat.

[b]What would the name of the order be?[/b]

I've always liked the name of Our Lady Immaculate, so I would probably name the order the Franciscan Sisters of Our Holy Queen, Mary Immaculate and the Visitation.

[b]What would the spirituality be?[/b]

I love the rule of St. Francis and the focus on poverty with joy. Such simplicity. I also really like St. Francis de Sales and the Order of the Visitation since it focuses on that wonderful mystery of the rosary. So I'd probably combine Franciscan with Salesian spirituality.
[b]
What apostolates would your order participate in?[/b]

Definitely retreat work and general catechesis, like the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word do. There is a general lack of good Catholic catechesis these days and it really needs change. I would make the order semi-contemplative, but not cloistered, with much focus on prayer and spiritual growth. No teaching and no healthcare as there seems to be an abundance of those these days. I would also want to include work in the pro-life movement with attendance at the Walk for Life and the 40 Days for Life.
[b]
What would the horarium look like?[/b]

5:30--Rising bell
6:00--Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, Angelus, Lauds
6:30--Meditation
7:00--Prime and Benediction
7:30--Mass and Thanksgiving (end of Grand Silence)
8:15--Breakfast
8:45--Cleanup and Dusting Charge
9:15--Terce
9:30--Novitiate studies and work
12:00--Angelus and Sext
12:30--Rosary
1:00--Lunch and Recreation
2:00--Siesta
3:00--Divine Mercy Chaplet
3:15--None
3:30--Work in Apostolate
5:30--Spiritual Reading
6:00--Angelus and Vespers
6:30--Supper and Recreation
8:00--Personal Time
8:30--Rosary, Compline, and Salve Regina
9:15--Retire (start of Grand Silence)
10:15--Lights Out

[b]What would the habit look like?[/b]

I love the style of the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate with the capelet and long veil. Since Our Lady's color is blue, I would make the habit a navy blue color with a navy blue capelet and a light blue full length veil. Professed Sisters would wear a white mantle (like the pure white lily) and a ring with the words "Jesus + Mary," and a large Miraculous Medal. The Sisters would wear the cincture with four knots symbolizing poverty, chastity, and obedience and a fourth vow of total Marian availability (humility and service to others) with the Franciscan crown rosary hanging on the right side like a sword. The Sisters would wear sandals or oxford shoes, depending on the weather. No tights or pantyhose. Postulants would wear a white long-sleeve oxford shirt with a navy blue jumper, a small Miraculous Medal, sandals, and a light blue small veil at all times.

[b]Any special devotions of the order?[/b]

Since the order would be dedicated to Our Lady Immaculate, all Sisters would participate in the Consecration to Our Lady Immaculate through the prayer by St. Maximilian Kolbe on December 8th. This would also be the formal entrance date for candidates. Special emphasis would be on the Divine Mercy Chaplet and Rosary. The Angelus would be prayed at the prescribed hours of 6am, 12pm, and 6pm. Nighttime prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament as well.

[b]And last, but not least, what would your religious name be? Would you include the special title at the end?[/b]

My religious name would be:

Sr. Mary Elizabeth of the Divine Mercy

All religious Sisters would receive a religious name starting at their novitiate. When they profess first vows, they would receive a special devotion title.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1304394984' post='2236202']
[b]
What apostolates would your order participate in?[/b]

Definitely retreat work and general catechesis, like the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word do. There is a general lack of good Catholic catechesis these days and it really needs change. I would make the order semi-contemplative, but not cloistered, with much focus on prayer and spiritual growth. No teaching and no healthcare as there seems to be an abundance of those these days. I would also want to include work in the pro-life movement with attendance at the Walk for Life and the 40 Days for Life.
[b]
What would the horarium look like?[/b]

5:30--Rising bell
6:00--Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, Angelus, Lauds
6:30--Meditation
7:00--Prime and Benediction
7:30--Mass and Thanksgiving (end of Grand Silence)
8:15--Breakfast
8:45--Cleanup and Dusting Charge
9:15--Terce
9:30--Novitiate studies and work
12:00--Angelus and Sext
12:30--Rosary
1:00--Lunch and Recreation
2:00--Siesta
3:00--Divine Mercy Chaplet
3:15--None
3:30--Work in Apostolate
5:30--Spiritual Reading
6:00--Angelus and Vespers
6:30--Supper and Recreation
8:00--Personal Time
8:30--Rosary, Compline, and Salve Regina
9:15--Retire (start of Grand Silence)
10:15--Lights Out
[/quote]

Question: Would folks come to the convent/grounds for the retreat/catechesis? Or would the sisters be working in the parish?

For example... the SSVMs do a lot of catechetical work, which means that their daily horarium is... "later", if you will. Since much of parish stuff happens in the evening, they have to adjust their daily schedule to accommodate their apostolate's needs.

I'd think, if your invented sisters were to be working outside the convent, the times set aside for work/apostolate are probably not realistic.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1304396223' post='2236215']
Question: Would folks come to the convent/grounds for the retreat/catechesis? Or would the sisters be working in the parish?

For example... the SSVMs do a lot of catechetical work, which means that their daily horarium is... "later", if you will. Since much of parish stuff happens in the evening, they have to adjust their daily schedule to accommodate their apostolate's needs.

I'd think, if your invented sisters were to be working outside the convent, the times set aside for work/apostolate are probably not realistic.
[/quote]

They would come to the convent like the Sister Servants do. Since they are semi-contemplative, they would stay on the convent grounds for the most part. The schedule would be modified if the Sisters needed to go out for apostolate work at parishes. :)

St. Joseph's Brothers

Sort of Benedictine, but more Work & Pray than Pray & Work
Annually renewed vows like the Daughter of Charity of St. Vincent De Paul take.
All brothers, no priests.

[b]What apostolates would your order participate in?[/b]
1. Maintain & repair
a. Parish buildings
b. Convents (if separate from parishes; otherwise, convents are included in 1a above)
c. Widows' homes
2. Rehab old homes and sell them to poor people at a reasonable price. The family that purchases the house would collaborate with the rehabbing brothers, thus learning how to take care of their house before they move into it.

[b]What would the horarium look like?[/b]
Daily morning Mass at the local parish
Work
Daily evening recreation
Daily evening rosary
Meals in common

Brown work clothes, kind of like the UPS uniform, plus work gloves.

St. Joseph the Worker

[b]And last, but not least, what would your religious name be? [/b]
Brother Given-Name on first introduction, probably just Given-Name after that.

BarbTherese

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1304397511' post='2236221']
St. Joseph's Brothers

Sort of Benedictine, but more Work & Pray than Pray & Work
Annually renewed vows like the Daughter of Charity of St. Vincent De Paul take.
All brothers, no priests.

[b]What apostolates would your order participate in?[/b]
1. Maintain & repair
a. Parish buildings
b. Convents (if separate from parishes; otherwise, convents are included in 1a above)
c. Widows' homes
2. Rehab old homes and sell them to poor people at a reasonable price. The family that purchases the house would collaborate with the rehabbing brothers, thus learning how to take care of their house before they move into it.

[b]What would the horarium look like?[/b]
Daily morning Mass at the local parish
Work
Daily evening recreation
Daily evening rosary
Meals in common

Brown work clothes, kind of like the UPS uniform, plus work gloves.

St. Joseph the Worker

[b]And last, but not least, what would your religious name be? [/b]
Brother Given-Name on first introduction, probably just Given-Name after that.
[/quote]

I really like that!

FutureSister2009

My Order would be similar to The Daughters of St. Paul but it would be different. I would like to call it the Sisters of Blessed John Paul II. We all know before he received his calling, John Paul II wanted to be an actor. Well my Sisters would direct plays and musicals of Bible stories for children. Their mission would be to bring God's message to the world through the joy of theatre. I'm pretty passionate about theatre so that's why I would do this. But in addition to directing plays, they would also have an active spiritual life in their parishes, Adoration, Rosary, LOTH etc. They'd also organize retreats and pilgrimages. Their habits would be pink, but different from the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters. They would have a devotion to Our Lady and to Blessed John Paul II