An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daughters Of Mary, Mother Of Israel's Hope

das8949

Yes, I can see what you mean about the O.Carms; I have a huge amount of respect for their work, though I can see how the OCD Friars are a little more contemplative than their O.Carm brothers.

I'm not sure how the Jesuits could be described as both Active and Contemplative when they don't say any offices in common though!

Yes, I'd agree with that observation comparing the O.Carms and the OCD brances. I wouldn't join either but I'd be more inclined towards the discalced branch. I know the O.Carms fairly well as they run a local parish close to me -  I like the Marian focus of any order, but other aspects or trends don't draw me in the slightest. The discalced are generally increasing in numbers internationally, but the pace is slow for them in the UK and Ireland. 

I guess its tempting for some institutes to look at what people say they seek, as well as the vocation trends, and try and find a niche in their words to become appealing. They may be able to show a different side to considered stereotypes or, in some cases, be over stretching the terms of reference :stars: ! 

Sponsa-Christi

Actually, I think the Jesuit moniker is "contemplatives in action!" :)

As I recall, the only formal distinction actually made by the Church is "institutes which are entirely ordered to contemplation" (cf. canon 674) and institutes with an outside apostolate. Also, for nuns, there is a distinction between papal enclosure and constitutional enclosure.

littlesister

Thanks for this thread.  I've been wondering about them, too.

Prior to Vatican II, "Active/Contemplative" was a fairly common description for a community that had an active apostolate combined with a fairly intense common and private prayer life. It sounds like an American thing, but it really wasn't.   Benedictus, you're absolutely right : that's just how the Little Sisters of the Poor were classified.  The term pretty much disappeared with the Council, but the lifestyle hasn't changed : common Eucharistic Liturgy, common Office for Lauds, Vespers, Compline, daily private prayer, including the rosary, and spiritual reading.

We can keep their six postulants in prayer.  Starting out in another country and another language, both the material and spiritual culture shock could be severe.

• 2 weeks later...
petitpèlerin

Active-contemplative orders see their apostolate as flowing from their prayer life, which is always their priority. The apostolic branches of the Community of St John (the brothers and the apostolic sisters) are that way. From what I've read the Missionaries of Charity are, too. I just learned this summer from a sister of St John that the wimple they wear under their veil (the white cloth that covers all but their face) signifies their monastic vocation, and the apostolic sisters have the same one as their contemplative sisters.

My understanding of the name changes is that Sister Ros/Mother Miriam named the community "Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel's Hope" but changed it to "Mother of Our Hope" in obedience to her then-bishop in St Louis (to be more inclusive to women who were not Jewish converts, to my understanding.) It was changed back to the original when the community moved to Tulsa, presumably with the permission of a bishop who was more understanding/supportive of their vision/charism. In general she sounds very grateful for the support of the bishop in Tulsa.

• 1 year later...
Ancilla Domini

I met Mother Miriam today at the Sacra Liturgia Corpus Christi mass/procession in NYC. My parents apparently knew her 20 years ago, before she became Catholic. :) I came on phatmass just now to post a link to her order, but figured I'd check and see if it had already been posted (you never know with VS. You guys are so on top of things. ;)) It sounds like a wonderful order!

Mother Miriam went to a community in Europe this past year with 4 postulants, but unfortunately none of them discerned that this was their vocation.I have not looked at their website recently so there could be new candidates.

Mother Miriam went to a community in Europe this past year with 4 postulants, but unfortunately none of them discerned that this was their vocation.I have not looked at their website recently so there could be new candidates.

Per the Christmas Newsletter 2014 - Mother Miriam planned  to visit Father Kirby and his community at Silverstream Priory in Ireland at the conclusion of our year of formation with Servantes des Pauvres in France. The time with that very dear and generous community of Benedictine sisters, however, brought with it numerous and unexpected challenges that proved quite difficult for us all. The postulants were heroic in their efforts to persevere, but in time, all four returned home to their families in the U.S. Following their departure, I was able to spend some time with the monks of Silverstream before returning to Tulsa.