An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Lesser Known Saints?

Lisa

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1305071274' post='2239859']
I just got a letter from a friend of mine who is a Poor Clare :love:
[/quote]

Hooray! How exciting! I did read your post in the other thread. I know the feeling! A Sister friend of mine was given permission to write me after I told her I was discerning! It is a wonderful feeling... :heart:

Veronica is my confirmation saint :)

Another lesser known saint that I admire is St. Anselm of Bec. I wrote a paper on him in college, and he wrote [i]Cur Deus Homo[/i] which was a dialogue exploring the meaning of the Incarnation. Very interesting guy. Also used the phrase 'faith seeking understanding' to explain his theological speculations. Didn't make such a great bishop, though. As Archbishop of Canterbury, he spent a lot of time in exile, because his king was William Rufus (son of William the Conqueror) and [i]not[/i] a friend of the Church.

Speaking of papers I wrote in college, I also wrote about St. Odo of Cluny and his [i]Life[/i] of St. Gerald of Aurillac. He was the second abbot of Cluny, which was a reform of the Benedictines in the tenth century, basically.

St. Roch, aka San Rocco (in Italian). Ministered to plague victims until he caught it himself, then went off into the woods to die without infecting other people. A dog brought him bread every day, and he - neither Roch nor the dog - never did die of the plague.

A holy "boy and his dog" story.

Edited by Luigi

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1304865301' post='2238704']
St. Foo - Patron of ninjas
[/quote]
Kilroy will have to add him to her list

Don John of Austria

Saint Eugene De Mazenod

St. Constantine and Blessed Charlemange (everybody knows about them but not that they are a Saint and Blessed)

Maximilianus

St. Serapion of Algiers.
Born Irish, fought with King Richard the Lionheart in the Crusades, eventually he wound up in Spain serving King Alfonso VIII.
While in Spain he met St. Peter Nolasco.
In 1222 he joined the The Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy.
He was martyred after offering himself as a hostage in place of a Christian captive.

Edited by Maximilianus

LaPetiteSoeur

St Dymphna
Does St. Columba count??
St Margaret of Scotland.
St. Genesius

I seriously like them all. I have trouble picking my favorite lesser known ones.

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1305109328' post='2240007']
St Dymphna
Does St. Columba count??
St Margaret of Scotland.
St. Genesius

I seriously like them all. I have trouble picking my favorite lesser known ones.
[/quote]

I have an aunt named Dymphna. :)

And how could I forget the saint my mother was named for?

St. Camillus de Lilles, patron saint of gamblers. He was one of those led-a-degenerate-life-and-then-had-a-conversion saints ;). Military man turned hospital worker.

Blessed Chiara Badano, a young girl who died at 18 or 19 of bone cancer and refused chemo in order to unite herself to the suffering Christ. She was part of the Focolare movement. Google her, she's amazing!

FutureSister2009

I believe I saw a St. Jessica at one point. There isn't much information on her but I am quite fond of the name because I do have a cousin named Jessica and then there is my dear friend Sr. Jessica as well. :clapping: So there will be another St. Jessica in Heaven someday :nunpray:

tnavarro61

Saint Rafael Arnaiz Baron - her mom was born in th Philippines!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Arn%C3%A1iz_Bar%C3%B3n

TeresaBenedicta

St. Expeditus!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW COULD I FORGET?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aww, I wish LC was here. She'd totally get excited about St. Expeditus with me!!!!!!!

He is totally St. Anthony's back-up man. And he does [i]wonders[/i]. Patron saint of expedient causes, you see. He's not very well known, so the few of us that have a devotion to him get all of his attention. :saint: Great man, that Expeditus.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

Saint Vitus--Patron against oversleeping. I have an overwhelming feeling he and I are going to be very good friends soon...