An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am Looking For

HopefulBride

HopefulBride

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1305074160' post='2239876']
Yep [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img] I'm installing Ubuntu on this laptop as soon as I get administrative rights (it was a school laptop, but now its mine!)
[/quote]

Ummm.... What's Ubuntu? and are these things compatible with windows???

You guys are giving me a tech headache :(

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1305074307' post='2239878']

[/quote]

Sorry. Linux is an open source operating system... so no, its not compatible with windows. But its better then windows, so there is that![img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dance.gif[/img]

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1305075058' post='2239879']
Sorry. Linux is an open source operating system... so no, its not compatible with windows. But its better then windows, so there is that![img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dance.gif[/img]
[/quote]
Only if you're a computer nerd! Even then some nerds still have dual boot 'cause they still use win for some things.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1305074307' post='2239878']

[/quote]
For somebody who doesn't want to spend hours and hours learning and configuring forget open source. Pick either Mac or PC and stick with it.

My daddy raised me a PC girl. I can only recommend Acer (they're VERY cheap - I got mine for $400 - and, in my own experience, quite reliable).

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1305076304' post='2239884']
For somebody who doesn't want to spend hours and hours learning and configuring forget open source. Pick either Mac or PC and stick with it.
[/quote]
Secret: Mac OS X was built off Linux, their interfaces are actually quite similar. Check out Ubuntu, it was designed to be user friendly, and will work with any hardware.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='thedude' timestamp='1305083890' post='2239932']
Secret: Mac OS X was built off Linux, their interfaces are actually quite similar. Check out Ubuntu, it was designed to be user friendly, and will work with any hardware.
[/quote]
Admittedly I haven't looked at Ubuntu for some time because the last time the download was going to take 39years and I haven't got that long, unless you count Purgatory. But previous tries, I had issues with internet connections and printers and I don't have much patience. Ubuntu was too similar to fishing. I've never actually had anything to do with Mac, but lots of people I know swear by it. My son is a linux nerd but he's a software engineer so he would be, but he has admitted that he runs windows in duel boot because even though Open Office will save a Word file he says that he can't trust it to function properly on a different computer, which is probably true because write programs do strange things at times including Word and it's imperative that all functions perfectly with Job applications. He could use PDFs but says most employers prefer Word Documents.
BTW I use Firefox which is free but after the FF4 install it won't open PDF files and is incompatible with the Oz dictionary. I spent about half an hour on the phone to my bank abusing them because I couldn't open my statements only to have it proved that it was Firefoxes fault. :smile4:

Edited by Mark of the Cross

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='thedude' timestamp='1305160195' post='2240281']
You need to switch to Chrome :like:
[/quote]

I might have to look at that again. FF4 seems a giant step backwards.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1305244353' post='2240675']
I might have to look at that again. FF4 seems a giant step backwards.
[/quote]

Chrome is like... the best thing since sliced bread!

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Synched bookmarks, settings, themes, apps - amazing. I can pretty much do everything in Chrome, which is why they're making it an OS :like:

Mark of the Cross

OK so why does nothing happen when I try to import favourites and history from FF4. Doesn't GC like Phatmass? And why no home button?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

You can add the home button in preferences, your favorites bar should be on the home screen that opens with new tabs. It will also store your most visited pages underneath that, once it gets to know you, so you can click into your stuff pretty easily. It might take getting used to.

I have good results using an HP laptop.

Does anyone know if computer repair shops would sell GOOD used laptops? Like Hopeful, I don't trust ebay much. It's mostly broken computers for spare parts on there.

Edited by JoyfulLife