An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Of The Eucharist

TeresaBenedicta

TeresaBenedicta

Any of y'all know them or discerning with them?

They're one of the only habited religious communities in my area. I met a group of them last summer here. A few of the sisters used to come to daily Mass at the parish where I work. I used to chat with them after Mass every once in a while. Sadly they were in a car accident a few months ago and are still recovering.

I'm heading up to their convent in about a week or so to visit one of the sisters who was in the car accident. I'm excited to see her!

Sister has taken a special interest in me- I think she can 'sense it', haha. It being the call, of course. :saint:

Anyways, I can't wait to go and visit her. Even though I'm obviously not discerning her order or anything. But still. Yay for nun friends!

Nun friends are great! Isn't it amesome how when you are discerning (or ready to enter, like you TB),all sisters make you happy? :nun2:
Enjoy your visit whenever it is!

are they the ones with the pillbox veil? lol sorry. i know orders by their habits. lol i saw a few when i was in maryland for the march for life. personally i prefer a more traditional habit, but they seem like a nice community

OnlySunshine

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1305766970' post='2243404']
are they the ones with the pillbox veil? lol sorry. i know orders by their habits. lol i saw a few when i was in maryland for the march for life. personally i prefer a more traditional habit, but they seem like a nice community
[/quote]

Yes, it's these Sisters:

[img]http://www.cmswr.org/slideshowmembercommunities/images/fses006.jpg[/img]

Although I think their community is great, I think that veil would drive me crazy! I don't like my hair cut short like that without the veil completely covering it. I know it sounds vain, but I don't like the way I look with very short hair.

TeresaBenedicta

They are the sweetest sisters. Of course, all sisters are sweet, but still!

The sister I'm visiting actually teaches adult classes at the public community college! Which is pretty neat.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1305778278' post='2243485']
Yes, it's these Sisters:

Although I think their community is great, I think that veil would drive me crazy! I don't like my hair cut short like that without the veil completely covering it. I know it sounds vain, but I don't like the way I look with very short hair.
[/quote]

Yeah. methinks that at least nashville op veil is the way to go. i veil in mass so if im wearing a veil i want my WHOLE head covered. not just the back. haha sorry. just my opinion. :) the rest of the habit is beautiful. i love the cross.

One of our PM'ers, Morostheos, is still (I believe) in their formation program, getting ready for postulancy soon. :nunpray:

I read this on Catholic Answers: [quote]
[font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida,"]By the way, they don't wear a pill box. It's actually a crown with a veil over it. The symbollism is Jesus crown of thorns. They were a cross made of nails over their chest. They take these symbols from the writings of St. Francis who praises the glory of the cross. -OSF priest [/quote][/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida,"] [/font]Just a thought- these sisters are a CMSWR community, everything on their website seems faithful to the Eucharist. I know their veil seems a little bit strange to the rest of us, but it sounds like beautiful symbolism. It's very possible that when the women were called there, they were like "erm..." about the haircut. But accepting those things when God calls you shows humility.

Wearing a habit/veil is easy when everybody's going to "oh, what a beautiful habit and veil," and, it is probably true, the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist's habit is not as outwardly pretty. Nevertheless, it still is an outward witness of Christ's call- which is what the habit is all about.

Since nobody's really discussed much about them yet, here are some things about them:

Charism:
[color="#545438"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][b][quote] The charism[/b] of the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist is to be a Eucharistic Marian Body of Hope, a "Eucharistic field" (in likeness to a "magnetic field") capable of calling forth the joyful dignity of another's being." [/quote][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#545438"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font][/color]
It seems like they work in retreats, counseling, and sort of less-formal education (afterschool programs, Montessori schools, etc.) I think they also have some healthcare based apostolates. They have locations around the east coast, but also a few in like Idaho. The sisters sell pottery as a way to support themselves and also offer pottery/art therapy. That seemed very Franciscan to me :)

[b]ETA: AND THEY HAVE BEEHIVES[/b]! My day has been made!!!! (I'm a beekeeper, and well, usually you only see beehives at the super-cloistered communities or the somewhat, um, less-habited ones....)

Edited by Lisa

tnavarro61

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1305896350' post='2243820']

Wearing a habit/veil is easy when everybody's going to "oh, what a beautiful habit and veil," and, it is probably true, the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist's habit is not as outwardly pretty. Nevertheless, it still is an outward witness of Christ's call- [i]which is what the habit is all about.
[/i]
[/quote]

wonderful indeed!!

Catherine Therese

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1305896350' post='2243820'][b]
[b]ETA: AND THEY HAVE BEEHIVES[/b]!
[/quote]

WAY COOL!

TeresaBenedicta

Heading out to the local convent today! :clapping:

So excited to see Sister!

Too bad it's icky out, which means no long walk on the grounds. Sad day. :sad:

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1305778278' post='2243485']
Yes, it's these Sisters:

[/quote]

I personally have a hard time with sister who dont wear what I consider 'proper veils'. These sisters wear something similar to Byzantine sisters now that I think about it.

I always knew I would end up with a wimple though :D

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1306523833' post='2246851']
I personally have a hard time with sister who dont wear what I consider 'proper veils'. These sisters wear something similar to Byzantine sisters now that I think about it.

[/quote]

What is considered a "proper veil"?

Read a post above- there is symbolism in their veil.

I wouldn't be too harsh on them.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1306523833' post='2246851']

[/quote]

Even though I personally don't like it, I wouldn't consider it a non-proper veil. I just prefer the ones that cover the whole hair so you don't have to worry about styling it at all. :)