An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Is A Libyan's Life Worth More Than A Syrian's?

The Shover Robot

The Shover Robot

The UN authorized the use of force to allow NATO and others to defend the life of Libyans in a "growing humanitarian conflict". In Syria, al-Assad is using force to quell (meaning: kill) those who speak out against him, yet the UN continues to issue strong statements of condemnation but hasn't authorized force in this case. Meanwhile, countries around the world sit and watch as hundreds (or thousands) of Syrians die protesting the government.

Why is a Libyan's life worth more than a Syrian's?

Edited by The Shover Robot

Kilroy the Ninja

Perhaps it is only a question our wise and noble friends at the U.N. can answer...

Winchester

Libya's oil was important to France, and Euro-Trash is too stupid to know that Kadafi, like Mubarak, was better for the West than whatever will replace him.

Maximilianus

It's about as fishy as the whole Ivory Coast fiasco.

Edited by Maximilianus

CatherineM

I suspect oil. It's less volatile to bomb North Africa, than somewhere in the Middle East. It could be something more sinister, like that Syrians use fava beans for their hummus, and we are a chickpea nation.

Don John of Austria

Libyan refugees can flood southern europe, syrian refugees cannot.its not that libyans are worth more, its that they cost more

The Shover Robot

So we can all agree that world government leaders and the UN are full of croutons. That's good to know.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1305985523' post='2244146']
Libya's oil was important to France, and Euro-Trash is too stupid to know that Kadafi, like Mubarak, was better for the West than whatever will replace him.
[/quote]

If oil were the driving force then I'd expect the Western nations not to intervene. Gadhafi quickly crushing the protests would bring more stability to the oil markets. As it stands a protracted civil war is much more disruptive to the oil markets. Libyian oil from Gadhafi's region is, I believe, under embargo, and the rebel controlled areas are having trouble getting their oil online. We'd have clearer access to Libyian oil if Gadhafi's regime were clearly in power over the entire country.

Also, the groups that have taken over in Tunesia and Egypt seem to be more or less continuations of the previous regimes, albeit a bit more open to reform and popular participation. Last I heard the Egyptian Army, dependent on funding from America and hostile to redical islam, is prettmy must still the behind the scenes kingmaker.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1306012377' post='2244279']
Can we agree that those goggles are flooping amesome?
[/quote]

[img]http://www.extratextual.tv/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/ali2.jpg[/img]

[quote name='The Shover Robot' timestamp='1306006292' post='2244262']
So we can all agree that world government leaders and the UN are full of croutons. That's good to know.
[/quote]

I'm glad you took time to carefully study the different geopolitical and internal political realities that distinguish the two situations before coming to this conclusion. Rather than just asking a bunch of strangers on the internet with no serious background in the region (people like me) for their off the cuff, half-formed opinions on the matter.

Edited by Hasan

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='The Shover Robot' timestamp='1306006292' post='2244262']
[/quote]

Sure. :saint:

Winchester

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1306022509' post='2244328']
If oil were the driving force then I'd expect the Western nations not to intervene. Gadhafi quickly crushing the protests would bring more stability to the oil markets. As it stands a protracted civil war is much more disruptive to the oil markets. Libyian oil from Gadhafi's region is, I believe, under embargo, and the rebel controlled areas are having trouble getting their oil online. We'd have clearer access to Libyian oil if Gadhafi's regime were clearly in power over the entire country.

Also, the groups that have taken over in Tunesia and Egypt seem to be more or less continuations of the previous regimes, albeit a bit more open to reform and popular participation. Last I heard the Egyptian Army, dependent on funding from America and hostile to redical islam, is prettmy must still the behind the scenes kingmaker.

[/quote]
I'm just hating on the French, but your effort amuses me.