Laudate_Dominum Posted May 30, 2011 Posted May 30, 2011 [quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1306773276' post='2247675'] yeah, i've been really busy lately too, I wish there were more hours in the day. [/quote] this!
Amppax Posted June 2, 2011 Author Posted June 2, 2011 Nihil, i'm reading your second suggestion right now... i'll let you know what i think shortly
Amppax Posted June 2, 2011 Author Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1306989368' post='2249064'] Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson? [/quote] yep, in terms of length and depth, it seems to be what i'm looking for right now. BTW, have you ever heard of a book called the Incredible Bread Machine? I read it a number of years ago, pretty interesting.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 2, 2011 Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1306989717' post='2249066'] yep, in terms of length and depth, it seems to be what i'm looking for right now. BTW, have you ever heard of a book called the Incredible Bread Machine? I read it a number of years ago, pretty interesting. [/quote] Yeah, Economics in One Lesson keeps getting mentioned as the greatest starting point for Austrian economics. I've got it in my queue, but you know how it is getting to stuff like that sometimes. I feel like I have heard of that book... I can't say that I can remember anything about it at the moment though. What's it about?
Amppax Posted June 2, 2011 Author Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1306990411' post='2249074'] Yeah, Economics in One Lesson keeps getting mentioned as the greatest starting point for Austrian economics. I've got it in my queue, but you know how it is getting to stuff like that sometimes. I feel like I have heard of that book... I can't say that I can remember anything about it at the moment though. What's it about? [/quote] It's about free market economics (obvi) but I believe the part that interested me was how it talked about the history of US economics, refuting a lot of myths about the Gilded Age, and some other stuff. It too was a really quick read (100-150 pages i believe).
Nihil Obstat Posted June 2, 2011 Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1306991793' post='2249079'] It's about free market economics (obvi) but I believe the part that interested me was how it talked about the history of US economics, refuting a lot of myths about the Gilded Age, and some other stuff. It too was a really quick read (100-150 pages i believe). [/quote] Sounds intriguing. Who was the author?
Nihil Obstat Posted June 2, 2011 Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='thedude' timestamp='1306993948' post='2249089'] Read Thomas Woods [/quote] I recommend his books so often that I feel like an old cliche to keep bringing them up. I think Sean was bugging me a while back about that.
Winchester Posted June 2, 2011 Posted June 2, 2011 [url="http://mises.org/books/economics_in_one_lesson_hazlitt.pdf"]Economics in One Lesson PDF[/url]
Amppax Posted June 2, 2011 Author Posted June 2, 2011 (edited) [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1306993049' post='2249087'] Sounds intriguing. Who was the author? [/quote] a bunch of authors [url="http://mises.org/books/incredible_bread_machine.pdf"]http://mises.org/books/incredible_bread_machine.pdf[/url] found it online Edited June 2, 2011 by Amppax
Amppax Posted June 2, 2011 Author Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1307017391' post='2249128'] [url="http://mises.org/books/economics_in_one_lesson_hazlitt.pdf"]Economics in One Lesson PDF[/url] [/quote] already got it, thanks winchester
dUSt Posted June 2, 2011 Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1306381461' post='2246076'] Alright, anyone know anything about economics? I would like to do some informal studying this summer (ya know, cause i don't have anything else to do) and was wondering if any of you more educated types had any recommendations. Preferably stuff i could get on teh interwebz, as i'm not in a book buying situation, and i seem to lose everything i get from the library (yeah i know, its bad). Area's of interest from my very limited knowledge: Distributism, Austrian School, anything Catholic + Economics.... that is about all for now, thanks!! [/quote] I [b]highly[/b] recommend checking out the economics and finance sections at the Khan Academy: [size="5"]http://www.khanacademy.org/[/size] Free, online videos. I love Sal Khan. He's helped me re-learn math in order to help my daughter with her homework more times than I can count. Jump to the economics section: http://www.khanacademy.org/#current-economics I think in the future, Khan Academy "badges" will mean just as much to employers as a degree, haha.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 2, 2011 Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1307019407' post='2249133'] a bunch of authors [url="http://mises.org/books/incredible_bread_machine.pdf"]http://mises.org/books/incredible_bread_machine.pdf[/url] found it online [/quote] Downloaded. ^_^
Amppax Posted June 2, 2011 Author Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1307029534' post='2249179'] I [b]highly[/b] recommend checking out the economics and finance sections at the Khan Academy: [size="5"][url="http://www.khanacademy.org/"]http://www.khanacademy.org/[/url][/size] Free, online videos. I love Sal Khan. He's helped me re-learn math in order to help my daughter with her homework more times than I can count. Jump to the economics section: [url="http://www.khanacademy.org/#current-economics"]http://www.khanacade...rrent-economics[/url] I think in the future, Khan Academy "badges" will mean just as much to employers as a degree, haha. [/quote] Sal Khan is my all-time hero, he's the only reason i passed math, i'll definitely check his stuff out.
MagiDragon Posted June 2, 2011 Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1306459700' post='2246438'] Fxd 4 da lulz! [/quote] Unfortunately 'respected' and 'non-delusional' are not synonymous. Krugman really doesn't have a clue how money works, and without that, it's hard to understand how economics really works without memorizing a lot of 'rules' and 'laws' which are merely there to explain the way that money works [i]under certain conditions.[/i] The guy really does think that we can burn resources (aka 'spend money') until we will eventually all be wealthy. In nominal terms, he's right: we can borrow/spend/print our way into having more money as a nation, the trouble is that it just becomes more bills chasing fewer items which is the Austrian definition of inflation.
MagiDragon Posted June 2, 2011 Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='MagiDragon' timestamp='1307035533' post='2249202'] Unfortunately 'respected' and 'non-delusional' are not synonymous. Krugman really doesn't have a clue how money works, and without that, it's hard to understand how economics really works without memorizing a lot of 'rules' and 'laws' which are merely there to explain the way that money works [i]under certain conditions.[/i] The guy really does think that we can burn resources (aka 'spend money') until we will eventually all be wealthy. In nominal terms, he's right: we can borrow/spend/print our way into having more money as a nation, the trouble is that it just becomes more bills chasing fewer items which is the Austrian definition of inflation. [/quote] lol, sorry for being so late to the discussion!
Amppax Posted June 2, 2011 Author Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='MagiDragon' timestamp='1307035604' post='2249203'] lol, sorry for being so late to the discussion! [/quote] 'sall good
Amppax Posted June 2, 2011 Author Posted June 2, 2011 If anyone else is interested, just went to Thomas Woods' website. He has a whole page devoted to beginner Austrian Econ : [url="http://www.tomwoods.com/learn-austrian-economics/"]http://www.tomwoods.com/learn-austrian-economics/[/url]
infinitelord1 Posted June 2, 2011 Posted June 2, 2011 [quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1306459598' post='2246437'] Who understands economics better than the Russians. [/quote] Yeah go Government!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now