An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Objective Morality Debate

stevil

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1307384470' post='2250470']
lol... you would because you know your community would prolly be super annoyed with you for randomly killing people and having sex with their daughters.... you might want to continue living peaceably with the rest of society and not be killed by your neighbor...
[/quote]
Assuming of course my community does not agree with what I am doing. If so, shame on them for imposing their morality on me.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307387695' post='2250499']
Most atheists (who don't believe in gods) do not go around wanting to commit murders. They tend to ascribe to a simple and social view of the golden rule. Treat others as you would like to be treated. The consequences of breaking the law is also a deterrant.
[/quote]
What drives an atheist to treat others as they would like to be treated?

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1307389555' post='2250522']
What drives an atheist to treat others as they would like to be treated?
[/quote]

Intuitive knowledge, empathy and the biological aversion towards harming others for no good reason.

I don't call those things 'god', however.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1307389212' post='2250518']
Assuming of course my community does not agree with what I am doing. If so, shame on them for imposing their morality on me.
[/quote]

they can impose whatever they like upon you

xSilverPhinx

[quote]Assuming of course my community does not agree with what I am doing. If so, shame on them for imposing their morality on me.[/quote]

[quote]they can impose whatever they like upon you[/quote]

If some things aren't imposed, then society could fall apart of become unstable.

The tricky thing is getting at what is justifiably imposed.

Edited by xSilverPhinx

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1307390934' post='2250535']
Intuitive knowledge, empathy and the biological aversion towards harming others for no good reason.

I don't call those things 'god', however.
[/quote]
So if someone is born with a weak intelligence, it is permissible for them to harm others. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif[/img]

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1307391020' post='2250536']
they can impose whatever they like upon you
[/quote]
What intolerant bigots!

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1307391244' post='2250538']
So if someone is born with a weak intelligence, it is permissible for them to harm others. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif[/img]
[/quote]

If a psychopath is born and wants to harm others, it's best that he or she lives outside society.

What do you mean by weak intelligence here? That someone has no knowledge of what they're doing?

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1307391187' post='2250537']
If some things aren't imposed, then society could fall apart of become unstable.

[/quote]

who defines what is "justifiably imposed"? current system seems to be mob mentality... works splendidly...

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1307391368' post='2250541']
who defines what is "justifiably imposed"? current system seems to be mob mentality... works splendidly...
[/quote]

That's the toughest question of all :blink:

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1307391187' post='2250537']

[/quote]
Very tricky when denying objective truth exist.

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1307391433' post='2250543']
Very tricky when denying objective truth exist.
[/quote]

Saying that objective truth exists does not mean that one knows objective truth.

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1307391337' post='2250540']
If a psychopath is born and wants to harm others, it's best that he or she lives outside society.

What do you mean by weak intelligence here? That someone has no knowledge of what they're doing?
[/quote]
That is a good question. Who decides such things? I don't see how someone's actions can be deemed wrong, if God does not exist.

By the way, I love you avatar.

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1307391492' post='2250544']
Saying that objective truth exists does not mean that one knows objective truth.
[/quote]
True[no pun intended].

You can also say, b/c one does not know an objective truth does not mean it does not exist.

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1307391988' post='2250546']
That is a good question. Who decides such things? I don't see how someone's actions can be deemed wrong, if God does not exist. [/quote]

I don't know, it just makes intuitive sense, which means that I can't explain in depth why it makes sense. For me, for an action to be deemed immoral/wrong/evil or whatever you want to call it, there has to be the intent to cause harm, and those who for some reason don't have the same capacity to cause intentional harm (knowing that it's harmful in the first place) and especially not be able to assume full responsibility for their actions should be judged by different standards.

Psychopaths for instance know that they cause suffering, but just don't care and still go on to voluntarily cause suffering. It's quite different from an insane person who caused harm but without the intent to cause suffering or had their free will restricted by distorted perceptions of reality for instance. I'm guessing the second case is what you meant by 'weak intelligence'?

No wonder so many psychopaths use the insanity plea...

[quote]By the way, I love you avatar.[/quote]

Thanks, I wish I had the creativity to think of it myself :cool: