An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Reunification Of The Sspx May Be At Hand

Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

[URL="http://irenaeusgsaintonge.blogspot.com/2011/06/reunion-of-sspx-may-be-at-hand.html"]From Imprimatur![/URL]

From [URL="http://blog.messainlatino.it/2011/06/il-momento-decisivo-per-la-fsspx-e.html"]Messa in Latino:[/URL]
(Translated with Google)

[I][SIZE="2"]This answers the second question of Mgr. Fellay: "What we now forecast to Rome?". The Pope is about to propose to Msgr.Fellay the establishment of a Ordinaries to regularize the situation of the SSPX and its community allies, leaving the full (and necessary, given certain bishops in circulation) be independent of diocesan bishops. Some members of the Ecclesia Dei communities were able to clarify that this proposal will be made canonical in the present month of June with Msgr.Fellay.
[/SIZE]
[/I]

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GK9vk5xxaSs/TS3-EcrkNkI/AAAAAAAAEzM/xN-uHpes0Vw/s1600/Bishop+Fellay.jpg[/IMG]
(Bishop Fellay)
[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7QIlWmg_aio/Tc_07dm8Q1I/AAAAAAAASBM/ZnFC7lHTr94/s320/Pozzo.JPG[/IMG]
Guido Pozzo, secretary of Ecclesia Dei

If Messa in Latino is to be trusted, an Ordinariate structure is set to be offered to Bishop Fellay this June. This would, in my opinion, be a beautiful thing for the Church. The stage is set, with Summorum Pontificum, followed by the lifting of the excommunications, the Anglican Ordinariates, and now Universae Ecclesiae. There has been no time since the promulgation of Pope Paul's Mass that the Traditional Mass was so well accepted, and Pope Benedict is easily to most favourable pope towards tradition that we've had since the Second Vatican Council.
The SSPX would be a powerful voice for Tradition from within Rome. They are strong as it is, and I believe that they had some amount of influence on the publishing of Summorum Pontificum, the establishment of Ecclesia Dei, etc., but they will be still more powerful from a position of completely normalized canonical status. When their status is regularized, it will be far harder to ignore them, as so many Catholics are inclined to do.
There is a certain fear of the SSPX that I've seen, and it's rather unwarranted. I think the problem has been exaggerated by many people, and probably some in the episcopate included. I believe that most in the SSPX have good will towards the Pope, and most do seek a position of complete unity. Most, probably all, have only the best interests of the Church and the faithful in mind. Some are rather more antagonistic than others, particularly Bishop Williamson, but from others like Bishop Fellay I've read nothing but well balanced opinions, reasonable points, and zeal for the faith.
We should all pray that these rumours are true. If their canonical status is regularized, I will be at an SSPX priory for Mass at the very next available Sunday.

[IMG]http://www.ihom.ca/_Media/img_0096_med.jpeg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.ihom.ca/_Media/img_0090_med.jpeg[/IMG]

These are pictures of the altar at the SSPX priory in Calgary, Alberta.

[IMG]http://www.sspxthepriesthood.com/images/fellay-pbxvi.jpg[/IMG]

I pray that we will be seeing this again this month.

KnightofChrist

COME, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful and kindle in them the fire of Thy love.

V. Send forth Thy Spirit and they shall be created
R. And Thou shalt renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray:
O GOD, Who taught the hearts of the faithful by the light of the Holy Spirit, grant that, by the
gift of the same Spirit, we may be always truly wise, and ever rejoice in His consolation.
Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

havok579257

what was the reason the sspx was not in communion with rome in the first place? why did they break from the catholic church?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307772316' post='2252298']When their status is regularized, it will be far harder to ignore them, as so many Catholics are inclined to do.
[/quote]
That will cut both ways. They will be under MUCH more scrutiny, and if they don't mind their P's and Q's, there will be problems.

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1307800400' post='2252334']
what was the reason the sspx was not in communion with rome in the first place? why did they break from the catholic church?
[/quote]
The SSPX founder Archbishop Lefebvre ordained 4 bishops in 1988 after Pope John Paul II told him not to. The Pope then issued the document "Ecclesia Dei" and announced the excommunication of the five bishops:

[quote]In itself, this act was one of disobedience to the Roman Pontiff in a very grave matter and of supreme importance for the unity of the church, such as is the ordination of bishops whereby the apostolic succession is sacramentally perpetuated. Hence such disobedience - which implies in practice the rejection of the Roman primacy - constitutes a schismatic act. In performing such an act, notwithstanding the formal canonical warning sent to them by the Cardinal Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops on 17 June last, Mons. Lefebvre and the priests Bernard Fellay, Bernard Tissier de Mallerais, Richard Williamson and Alfonso de Galarreta, have incurred the grave penalty of excommunication envisaged by ecclesiastical law.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/motu_proprio/documents/hf_jp-ii_motu-proprio_02071988_ecclesia-dei_en.html[/quote]
Bernard Fellay, mentioned in the above quote, is now the leader of the SSPX. Archbishop Lefebvre died 20 years ago I think.

Edited by Era Might

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1307800400' post='2252334']
[/quote]
Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre consecrated four bishops without a papal mandate, so as a result he and the bishops were excommunicated, and all the SSPX clergy except Bishop Tissier were suspended. However, now the excommunications are lifted, and the situation can be regularized very simply as long as the doctrinal talks go well enough.
The situation is very interesting. Their actions can be considered schismatic, however we do not properly refer to their state as one of schism.

6 replies

that's what it said when I clicked on here so . . . is that an omen?

Well if so here's the 7th reply and the 77th view holla

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1307802676' post='2252347']
6 replies

that's what it said when I clicked on here so . . . is that an omen?

Well if so here's the 7th reply and the 77th view holla
[/quote]
Wouldn't it have been 7th and 68th?

This would be great, but the only question I have is what about Bishop Williamson? That guy is not anywhere near wanting to get with the program, as far as I can tell. It was very poor discernment on the Archbishop's part to choose someone like that for ordination to the epsicopate (well the whole episode lacked proper discernment didn't it). Is there a risk that Bishop Williamson would refuse to go along with Bishop Fellay and the rest of the SSPX and start his own organization? He's validly ordained so if that's the case it's a big problem.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307802812' post='2252348']
Wouldn't it have been 7th and 68th?
[/quote]

You will make a fine accountant someday!

Yes as always we should pray for unity in the Church, God must be pleased at this opportunity, how else would it have became possible.

ed

Jesus died so we would all be one with Him, with the Trinity, so unity is very blessed. Prayers for all involved. May the Holy Spirit unite us all in charity.

However, as much as I want the Church to be visibly one, I am a bit concerned about some ways the SSPX describe their views on the [url="http://www.sspx.org/sspxfaqs.htm"]FAQ section of their website[/url]. I won't go into detail because I don't want to start a debate (although I will say that I've seen at least one thing on there that would explicitly make me and many others heretics in their books)... it just doesn't seem like they could continue speaking this way or making such grave pronouncements when the rest of the Church doesn't quite agree with them.

I wonder how the union will affect some of their stances. I wonder if the SSPX will be asked to "tone down" their language? Or will they be asked to make no compromise at all? From what I've read of the SSPX - and I admit I really haven't talked to anyone from that group or mindset in person - it seems unlikely that they would submit to the first. But reading what I have on their website about their views, I don't see how that can be reconciled to the Church's expressions of Faith without some kind of adjustment. I guess these are questions that can't really be answered without more information on what the details of the ordinariate offer will be - and I'm sure the details of the union are far above my understanding - but I pray and hope that love will guide everyone involved.

ETA: Of course, I may have misunderstood what the SSPX was saying on their FAQ. I'm just expressing a concern I have because of the way their explanations sounded.

Edited by Chamomile

KnightofChrist

In my most humble opinion this is a time not to be focused on divisions, the negativity or the bad news. Rather it is time to pray for and focus on unity, positivity and the good news. Let's not make this another debate please. Because questions about the SSPX or what about this negative or that negative about the SSPX always seem to devolve into debate. Let us pray, trust God, and trust the wisdom of the Holy Pontiff.

I think the situation needs a really good mediator. Since I hate to fly, and the parties would not all want to come to Canada, maybe Jimmy Carter is available.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1307809839' post='2252370']
In my most humble opinion this is a time not to be focused on divisions, the negativity or the bad news. Rather it is time to pray for and focus on unity, positivity and the good news. Let's not make this another debate please. Because questions about the SSPX or what about this negative or that negative about the SSPX always seem to devolve into debate. Let us pray, trust God, and trust the wisdom of the Holy Pontiff.
[/quote]

I agree we should trust and pray, and I really didn't want to start a debate. Just thinking out loud...