AdamUp Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 (edited) If you can check out the article and video. Franciscan monks getting a twitter flash mob into the streets here in the UK. [url="http://godzdogz.op.org/2011/06/eucharistic-flash-mob.html"]http://godzdogz.op.o...-flash-mob.html[/url] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ5aYoSr3Hg&feature=player_embedded[/media] Amazing! Edited June 27, 2011 by dUSt Edited to include video in post.
faithcecelia Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [quote name='AdamUp' timestamp='1309184266' post='2259061'] If you can check out the article and video. Franciscan monks getting a twitter flash mob into the streets here in the UK. [url="http://godzdogz.op.org/2011/06/eucharistic-flash-mob.html"]http://godzdogz.op.o...-flash-mob.html[/url] Amazing! [/quote] Someone posted this a few days ago, I actually cried watching it, we need this sort of thing so much and as often as possible. I then put it on Facebook, and from the number of emails and other posts going around hopefully it will soon be viral. We need to catch it!
Cam42 Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 (edited) Not to be a complete buzz kill, but they brought the Blessed Sacrament in in a duffle bag? I am all for Evangelization, but I am not in favor of disrespect for the Blessed Sacrament....I will not support this. I think that the idea of a flash mob is ok, but the disrespect shown the Blessed Sacrament is deplorable. There is a way to properly have Exposition and Benediction, this is NOT it.... I know I'll catch all kinds of carp for this, but I think that it's just sad that the Blessed Sacrament was treated that way by a Franciscan priest, in this particular instance....there is no excuse which will justify that action. If we're going to Evangelize, we should Evangelize properly. This is not right. Edited June 27, 2011 by Cam42
Groo the Wanderer Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309189145' post='2259090'] Not to be a complete buzz kill, but they brought the Blessed Sacrament in in a duffle bag? I am all for Evangelization, but I am not in favor of disrespect for the Blessed Sacrament....I will not support this. I think that the idea of a flash mob is ok, but the disrespect shown the Blessed Sacrament is deplorable. There is a way to properly have Exposition and Benediction, this is NOT it.... I know I'll catch all kinds of carp for this, but I think that it's just sad that the Blessed Sacrament was treated that way by a Franciscan priest, in this particular instance....there is no excuse which will justify that action. If we're going to Evangelize, we should Evangelize properly. This is not right. [/quote] Cam is right. Jesus would never enter a city as a peasant riding a donkey. He would enter as a conquering king seated on a grand stallion, accompanied by courtiers and princes. wait....what? I do not see a church or a tabernacle or an altar. I know of no rubrics or norms that cover the 'proper' way to bring Jesus to the public in a shopping mall. I do see people hungry for Christ. I see people that need to be reminded that Jesus is with us always and everywhere. I see priests finding a way to do it that people can understand in the 21st century. Seriously? I doubt the monk keeps his gym socks and sweat towel in the same duffel bag.
Cam42 Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1309197084' post='2259114'] Cam is right. Jesus would never enter a city as a peasant riding a donkey. He would enter as a conquering king seated on a grand stallion, accompanied by courtiers and princes. wait....what? I do not see a church or a tabernacle or an altar. I know of no rubrics or norms that cover the 'proper' way to bring Jesus to the public in a shopping mall. I do see people hungry for Christ. I see people that need to be reminded that Jesus is with us always and everywhere. I see priests finding a way to do it that people can understand in the 21st century. Seriously? I doubt the monk keeps his gym socks and sweat towel in the same duffel bag. [/quote] You're kidding...right? As for bringing The Blessed Sacrament to the public...there is a thing called a Eucharistic Procession. And that is the proper way to bring Jesus to the Streets...you know, we just had one....it was called Corpus Christi...and there were processions all over the place. As long as we continue to be flippant about the Blessed Sacrament, nobody is going to take it seriously....Do you think that a proper Eucharistic Procession would have gained as much attention? I daresay, more!!!!! That is the original flash mob AND the Blessed Sacrament wasn't yanked out of a duffle Bag.
dUSt Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309197893' post='2259118'] You're kidding...right? As for bringing The Blessed Sacrament to the public...there is a thing called a Eucharistic Procession. And that is the proper way to bring Jesus to the Streets...you know, we just had one....it was called Corpus Christi...and there were processions all over the place. As long as we continue to be flippant about the Blessed Sacrament, nobody is going to take it seriously....Do you think that a proper Eucharistic Procession would have gained as much attention? I daresay, more!!!!! That is the original flash mob AND the Blessed Sacrament wasn't yanked out of a duffle Bag. [/quote] How do people take the Blessed Sacrament to the sick? I don't see many Eucharistic Processions going into hospitals and nursing homes.
sixpence Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1309199174' post='2259120'] How do people take the Blessed Sacrament to the sick? I don't see many Eucharistic Processions going into hospitals and nursing homes. [/quote] I was wondering about this... how do people carry around a pyx? I dont see them carrying it around elevated or anything... do they put it in their pocket?
faithcecelia Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1309197084' post='2259114'] Cam is right. Jesus would never enter a city as a peasant riding a donkey. He would enter as a conquering king seated on a grand stallion, accompanied by courtiers and princes. wait....what? I do not see a church or a tabernacle or an altar. I know of no rubrics or norms that cover the 'proper' way to bring Jesus to the public in a shopping mall. I do see people hungry for Christ. I see people that need to be reminded that Jesus is with us always and everywhere. I see priests finding a way to do it that people can understand in the 21st century. Seriously? I doubt the monk keeps his gym socks and sweat towel in the same duffel bag. [/quote] Exactly. This was simple, powerful and to the point. If the people won't come to Christ, then take Christ to the people. This simple talk/statement/whatever was far more accessible to the majority of the non-religious community - it was unusual, it caught them unawares. We will never know how many people were led to find out more about God after seeing this, we will never know how many lapsed Catholics returned to the Faith, we will never know how many practising Catholics were bouyed up and given a new zeal - but I'd bet my life there were or will be some in each category. Formal processions are beautiful and have an important place, but many would also be scared away by them. In his human life, Jesus met people where they were, he loved them in whatever circumstances they were in, and through meeting Him their lives were transformed. That wouldn't have happened if he had stayed in the Temple.
faithcecelia Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1309199174' post='2259120'] How do people take the Blessed Sacrament to the sick? I don't see many Eucharistic Processions going into hospitals and nursing homes. [/quote] Very good point.
Cam42 Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1309199174' post='2259120'] How do people take the Blessed Sacrament to the sick? I don't see many Eucharistic Processions going into hospitals and nursing homes. [/quote] In a pix. placed inside a leather pouch with a string on it placed next to the heart. And it shouldn't just be people, it should be a priest (or deacon). A lay minister cannot give viaticum.
thessalonian Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 (edited) Whether or not the mode of transportation for the Eucharist was appropriate, and I think it was, the video is truly inspiring. I would never have thought that in public so many would kneel. Praise God for every one of them. When the Eucharist is taken to the sick it is carried in a small container. Don't recall the name but there are no particular instructions that I know of that say "don't put it in a duffle bag. I also think the public reverence showed by 20 people for 15 minutes was far greater than any issues with the mode of transportation. Could you imagine the conversations you could have with bystanders afterward! Edited June 27, 2011 by thessalonian
Cam42 Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1309199562' post='2259124'] Exactly. This was simple, powerful and to the point. If the people won't come to Christ, then take Christ to the people. This simple talk/statement/whatever was far more accessible to the majority of the non-religious community - it was unusual, it caught them unawares. We will never know how many people were led to find out more about God after seeing this, we will never know how many lapsed Catholics returned to the Faith, we will never know how many practising Catholics were bouyed up and given a new zeal - but I'd bet my life there were or will be some in each category. Formal processions are beautiful and have an important place, but many would also be scared away by them. In his human life, Jesus met people where they were, he loved them in whatever circumstances they were in, and through meeting Him their lives were transformed. That wouldn't have happened if he had stayed in the Temple. [/quote] I disagree....I think that it was terribly disrespectful to the Blessed Sacrament. I'd bet my life this was disrespectful to the Blessed Sacrament. This... is waaaaayyyyyy tooooooo scary!!!!!! [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PhONIfWAp8[/media] I don't buy it, not one bit. What the Franciscan priest did was disrespectful. I would also be willing to stake my life that far more people have been converted by a proper Eucharistic procession than that flash mob and the priest's disrespectful handling of the Blessed Sacrament.
Cam42 Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1309201053' post='2259134'] Whether or not the mode of transportation for the Eucharist was appropriate, and I think it was, the video is truly inspiring. I would never have thought that in public so many would kneel. Praise God for every one of them. When the Eucharist is taken to the sick it is carried in a small container. Don't recall the name but there are no particular instructions that I know of that say "don't put it in a duffle bag. I also think the public reverence showed by 20 people for 15 minutes was far greater than any issues with the mode of transportation. Could you imagine the conversations you could have with bystanders afterward! [/quote] Ever been in Rome for a Eucharistic Procession? Ever been in the Twin Cities for a Eucharistic Procession? Ever been to Des Moines for a Eucharistic Procession? I have. I have never been to a Eucharistic Procession which didn't have a good turn out...not once. And since there is nothing which says specifically "don't put God in a duffle bag....." that makes it ok? I don't buy it.
Cam42 Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 I cannot believe that I'm defending the sacrality of the Blessed Sacrament with regard to this right now.....oh my goodness (don't blasphemy)!!! Really? Really?? Really.
Cam42 Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqHM7z6ooMA[/media] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9MoCkvj1iw[/media] I think that Father's explanation is wonderful and a great rendering of what a Catholic flash mob should be about.
Cam42 Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHD-uDthIM[/media] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdCbr8PR5U[/media]
thessalonian Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 [quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309200873' post='2259131'] In a pix. placed inside a leather pouch with a string on it placed next to the heart. And it shouldn't just be people, it should be a priest (or deacon). A lay minister cannot give viaticum. [/quote] So what is going on in so many parishes with lay ministers bringing the Eucharist to the sick is an abuse. Can you please show documentation for this?
organwerke Posted June 27, 2011 Posted June 27, 2011 (edited) I am with Cam on this. And, if I don't recall wrong, in the past there was some sort of processions when the Eucaristy was brougth to the sick, or at least the priest was covered with an umbrella and the body of Christ's passage was accompanied by little bells or something similar...I am sad this is not used anymore. Edited June 27, 2011 by organwerke
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now