An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Dominican Saints

Lisa

OnlySunshine

I just learned about him recently, but I think Pier Giorgio Frassati is pretty cool.

[img]http://burnwithinus.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/piergiorgiofrassati-1.jpg[/img]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1309380980' post='2260411']
Its a while since I read it, but 'From Fasting Saints to Anorexic Girls:A History of Self-Starvation' is a very interesting book. Very, very few who claimed to survive on nothing or just the Eucharist actually did, and almost always gave in withing days of close observation, even centuries ago.
[/quote]

Like I stated earlier, I'm sure medical intervention would have taken place if any of the saints had lived today. It really is terrible to want to starve yourself. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did it voluntarily. I had medical anorexia when I was going through my depression at first. It was really, really horrible. I so wanted to eat and I would try all the time, but I would not be able to get anything down (not even Jell-O) and if I did, I always threw up afterward. I ended up losing about 20 pounds I think, which is very unhealthy. I soon saw a psychiatrist who put me on an anti-depressant and within a week or two, I was able to eat regularly again. It was so strange. Sometimes I wonder if I was pursued by a demon or something. :(

Maximilianus

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1309378983' post='2260387']
i don't like any of 'em :|
[/quote]

No way, I thought you liked that one saint that wears the white habit, the one that did that thing and said some stuff. Oh and the other saint that did that thing and wore a white habit with a black capuce and cappa.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Famous theologian. People thought him stupid until he wrote because of how quiet he was. I really do love his writings.

Also Bl. Humbert of Romans. I love his letter to novices.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1309391654' post='2260526']
There are OP saints?? :|

I thought you guys only had blesseds :P
[/quote]
:cry4:

:o

:numchucks:

dominicansoul

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1309382472' post='2260425']
No way, I thought you liked that one saint that wears the white habit, the one that did that thing and said some stuff. Oh and the other saint that did that thing and wore a white habit with a black capuce and cappa.
[/quote]

:hehe2:

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1309378983' post='2260387']
i don't like any of 'em :|
[/quote]

That's fine, because I doubt they like you, either.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1309397464' post='2260576']
That's fine, because I doubt they like you, either.
[/quote]

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrnnn

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1309398543' post='2260585']
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrnnn
[/quote]

:saint:

My grandparents had a little statute of St. Martin of Porres in their living room. They made sure to have it there by the day he was canonized -- that was considered a good thing.

They did this even though they themselves were Secular Franciscans.

:shock: [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif[/img]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1309398865' post='2260588']
My grandparents had a little statute of St. Martin of Porres in their living room. They made sure to have it there by the day he was canonized -- that was considered a good thing.

They did this even though they themselves were Secular Franciscans.

:shock: [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif[/img]
[/quote]

LOL, I have a 12 inch statue of him on my bookcase. I found it at my parish gift shop. :)

Another of my favorites, although I don't know all that much about him, is St. Antoninus. Apparently he was a very small man, thus his name if the diminuitive form of Anthony.

He apparently presented himself at the Dominican friary in his town (just outside Florence... up the hill... what's the name????) Fiesole! and said he wanted to enter. The prior friar said something to the effect of, "Go away kid, you bother me." Antoninus went away disappointed, but kept coming back asking for admission. Finally, the prior friar gave him some gre't big ol' book to read and said, "Come back when you've memorized this." And the next month, Antoninus did.

They tell the story as an example of perseverance in vocation, but I also see it as a tribute to Dominican pillar of Study.

He went on to become a well known scholastic, theologian, and bishop of Florence - I think he presided at the blessing of the Floence Duomo.

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1309407814' post='2260654']
Another of my favorites, although I don't know all that much about him, is St. Antoninus. Apparently he was a very small man, thus his name if the diminuitive form of Anthony.

He apparently presented himself at the Dominican friary in his town (just outside Florence... up the hill... what's the name????) Fiesole! and said he wanted to enter. The prior friar said something to the effect of, "Go away kid, you bother me." Antoninus went away disappointed, but kept coming back asking for admission. Finally, the prior friar gave him some gre't big ol' book to read and said, "Come back when you've memorized this." And the next month, Antoninus did.

They tell the story as an example of perseverance in vocation, but I also see it as a tribute to Dominican pillar of Study.

He went on to become a well known scholastic, theologian, and bishop of Florence - I think he presided at the blessing of the Floence Duomo.
[/quote]

:clapping:

dominicansoul

Blessed Bartolo Longo

He was a satanist priest! The Holy Rosary saved him. He is an example of one who can go from the depths of hell and be converted and brought to Jesus Christ through the powerful intercession of Our Lady. He should bring all sinners hope, in that, someone as wretched as he could change and be saved.