An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Old Is Your Church

Livin_the_MASS

Livin_the_MASS

"HOW OLD IS YOUR CHURCH?
IF YOU ARE a Lutheran, your religion was founded by Martin Luther, an ex-monk of the Catholic Church, in the year 1517.

IF YOU belong to the Church of England, your religion was founded by King Henry VIII in the year 1534, because the Pope would not grant him a divorce with the right to re-marry.

IF YOU ARE a Presbyterian, your religion was founded by John Knox in Scotland in the year 1560.

IF YOU ARE a Congregationalist, your religion was originated by Robert Brown in Holland in 1582.

IF YOU ARE a Baptist, you owe the tenets of your religion to John Smyth, who launched it in Amsterdam in 1605.

IF YOU ARE of the Dutch Reformed church, you recognize Michaelis Jones as founder, because he originated your religion in New York in 1628.

IF YOU ARE a Protestant Episcopalian, your religion was an offshoot of the Church of England founded by Samuel Seabury in the American colonies in the 17th century.

IF YOU ARE a Methodist, your religion was launched by John and Charles Wesley in England in 1744.

IF YOU ARE a Unitarian, Theophilius Lindley founded your church in London in 1774.

IF YOU ARE a Mormon (Latter Day Saints), Joseph Smith started your religion in Palmyra, NY, in 1829.

IF YOU worship with the Salvation Army, your sect began with William Booth in London in 1865.

IF YOU ARE a Christian Scientist, you look to 1879 as the year in which your religion was born and to Mrs. Mary Baker Eddy as its founder.

IF YOU belong to one of the religious organizations known as ''Church of the Nazarene,'' ''Pentecostal Gospel,'' ''Holiness Church,'' ''Pilgrim Holiness Church,'' ''Jehovah's Witnesses,'' your religion is one of the hundreds of new sects founded by men within the past one hundred years.

[b]IF YOU ARE Roman Catholic, you know that your religion was founded in the year 33 by Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and it is still the same Church.[/b]

(Copyright 1997-1998, Catholic Truth Publications, PO Box 684, Monrovia, CA 91017-0684.)"

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='dUSt' date='Apr 26 2004, 12:00 PM']I'm going to start to call you "mini-monk".[/quote]
haha :rolling: :cool: :D lol! It might offend the Big-Monk though lol!

the lumberjack

your church/religion can be as old as you want it to be...if it goes against the word of God, which is older than any religion, it is not right.

I would not be part of something just because its been around for 2000 years...give or take 4 or 5 centuries...

but thanks for the info anyways.

God bless.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote][b]LJ says:[/b]
your church/religion can be as old as you want it to be...if it goes against the word of God, which is older than any religion, it is not right.[/quote]

I doesn't go against the word of God! The Catholic Church is bulit on the Word of God!

We have the correct interpretation of Sacred Scripture ;) :)

God Bless
Jason

HomeTeamFamily

[quote]I would not be part of something just because its been around for 2000 years...give or take 4 or 5 centuries...[/quote]

why not if you dont mind me asking

the lumberjack

just because one entity claims to have been established a LONG time ago...in a galaxy far away...does not mean that it stayed the same entity.

there were a lot of things that led up to the perversion of the Christian faith...and brought the INEVITABLE break of Luther...

(hypothetical situation number one)I mean c'mon, lets say that one day that the Catholic Church states that you can pray to Lucifer, because Lucifer was an angel of light...and he is not Satan.

would you pray to Lucifer just because the church said to?

because it had been around for SOO long and established itself as the one true church?

I love my father, but he is not saved...and just because he has been around longer than me does not mean he is right...

God bless

Livin_the_MASS

[quote]would you pray to Lucifer just because the church said to?[/quote]
Common sense tells me the Catholic Church would never do this! ;) So the answer is no because the Catholic Church would never make a request like that.

The Catholic Church is traced back to Jesus Christ the corner stone! Like it or not ;)

God Bless
Jason

the lumberjack

ugh...this is what I mean...you think it won't be done...that it can't be done...yet "development" of doctrine has stretched WELL beyond the boundaries of the Bible, something I'm sure Paul or Peter would've not loved to have seen.

so long for now.

I'll be back later...much later....like tomorrow maybe.

God bless.