Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1310651620' post='2267370']

This is just my opinion, but I'd not be so sad about the comments. It sounds like you're the only teacher that actually makes her students mind...
[/quote]

This.

You are creating a positive environment. And when you have your classroom for the full year, you can start off firmly establishing these ground rules and later add in the "fun" stuff once they know how to properly handle it. So it sounds like you are doing a really good job.

she_who_is_not
Posted

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1310623431' post='2267305']
No .... before school starts in the Fall, we have to do training. It's called "Institute" - which is the 5 weeks of no sleep, lots of criticism, people wailing, crying, vaguely suicidal, etc. During Institute, they send us through a crash course of accelerated classes for half the day. During the other half, we do student-teaching ... we lead a class of summer school students. Its good for them, because they can avoid having to be held back a grade in the fall, and we get to practice behavior management, execution, assessments, grading, tracking, all that jazz while a veteran teacher sits in the back of the room and watches to make sure we don't kill anyone. After that there's more classes, and then home for dinner and lesson planning.

I'll be in Oklahoma in a week ... eek.
[/quote]

Sounds like law school. With children. Shudder.

Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1310614434' post='2267251']
Since you never explicitly rejected my offer for either myself or Winchester to threaten your students with physical violence I'll take that as an indication of tacit approval.
[/quote]
[size="7"][b]SILENCE IS CONSENT[/b][/size]

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

Oh my goodness! First grade! How cute! You will be fine believe me. I thought you would be teaching jr high or high school! Not that it's easier but just a different level. It's more enjoyable because they are so little!

Posted

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1310620071' post='2267294']
they respect me because I use the "teacher face."

Although it is somewhat sad to me - they gave the kids these "surveys about your teacher", and the other teachers got answers about how nice they are --- every last one of my students mentioned "she moves our names down when we don't listen" (we have a behavior traffic light, when they mess up they go from green to yellow to red)

Even I would not like me. I make them sit with their hands folded on their desks. Supposedly that is the optimal position for listening so thats how I make them sit! But I know as a student that would annoy me ... they are quiet and learn a lot. But when I observe other classrooms, they are noisy and seem more fun.


[/quote]


When my husband was a new teacher in suburban Philadelphia, the best advice he was given was to establish his authority and enforce discipline from the get go and stick with it until mid year at least. Once the kids understand who is in charge, you can lighten up as you see fit. Much easier than the other way around. You ARE doing the right thing!

Posted

I was an assistant teacher for five years.... and now I am going to school full time to finish my teacher certification. I worked in a low income school and it is as great as you make it. The hours will be long and the children might be a hand- full. But always remember your favorite teacher and the memories that she gave you... and return the gift of amesome memories to the new students that you will get.

most important!!! --> Classroom management is the most important thing you can do for yourself and for them, but if you have fun with your class then they will have fun with you.


Oh.... some "say" that a good teacher does not smile until December.... however.... if you do that you might go alittle :crazy:... so laugh when they say that to you...

  • 2 weeks later...
Lilllabettt
Posted

So everyone. I got 1st grade! Yay!

HopefulBride
Posted
:woot: yaaaay!!! :dance: :dance3:
Posted

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' timestamp='1310663684' post='2267413']
Oh my goodness! First grade! How cute! You will be fine believe me. I thought you would be teaching jr high or high school! Not that it's easier but just a different level. It's more enjoyable because they are so little!
[/quote]
At first I thought this was Hassy's post due to the shared avatar. It made more sense when I thought it was Hassy :|

Posted

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1310620071' post='2267294']
But when I observe other classrooms, they are noisy and seem more fun.
[/quote]

Is that something you want to experiment with?

LaPetiteSoeur
Posted

First graders are the cutest.

My grandmother was told not to smile for the first six months. Her students thought she was tough because she'd taught at the "bad school." (and she only student taught). Once they knew she was in charge, but would let them have fun, too, they loved her. I can't go anywhere with her without meeting at least one former student!

The Institute sounds terrible! But it'll hopefully be worth it! Saint Jean-Baptiste de la Salle, pray for you! (and for all teachers, as schools start in less than a month!!)

Lilllabettt
Posted

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1311887815' post='2277732']

Is that something you want to experiment with?
[/quote]

Mahh I guess not. I don't know how to be "nice" without going overboard. Maybe in 15 yrs when I know what I'm doing. Currently my entire life is one huge experiment.

Institute is over and now I have to read these obtuse learning standards, turn them into learning goals, turn them into objectives and group them into units. What???? And then teach them. What????

And I have to spend like $500 getting my classroom ready. and they won't pay me until september 20th. But who cares since by then I'll have died of a stress stroke! Eat pudding for tomorrow we die!!!

Posted

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1312519550' post='2281763']

And I have to spend like $500 getting my classroom ready. and they won't pay me until september 20th. But who cares since by then I'll have died of a stress stroke! Eat pudding for tomorrow we die!!!
[/quote]


Best quote of the night.

OnlySunshine
Posted

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1312519550' post='2281763']

Mahh I guess not. I don't know how to be "nice" without going overboard. Maybe in 15 yrs when I know what I'm doing. Currently my entire life is one huge experiment.

Institute is over and now I have to read these obtuse learning standards, turn them into learning goals, turn them into objectives and group them into units. What???? And then teach them. What????

And I have to spend like $500 getting my classroom ready. and they won't pay me until september 20th. But who cares since by then I'll have died of a stress stroke! Eat pudding for tomorrow we die!!!
[/quote]

rotfl

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Oh phatmass please pray for me. School is starting next Monday and I have no idea what I am doing. I had a bad day today getting my computers set up and I think tomorrow will be pretty hard too. I cry every day and I want my mom. If I ran away to a tropcial island, no one would find me. On the other hand, I'd have no phatmass

Posted
:console: You still have my prayers!
regina_coeli
Posted

With our prayers and your smarts, everything will come together, but not necessarily the first week! Stay strong!

Posted

Prayers, I'm sure you will do great once everything starts. It's often the anticipation of something that is the worst, if that is any comfort.

OnlySunshine
Posted

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1313635722' post='2290352']
Oh phatmass please pray for me. School is starting next Monday and I have no idea what I am doing. I had a bad day today getting my computers set up and I think tomorrow will be pretty hard too. I cry every day and I want my mom. If I ran away to a tropcial island, no one would find me. On the other hand, I'd have no phatmass
[/quote]

My mum was a teacher before she went on disability and found it very rewarding, yet very stressful. I remember her breaking down in tears when I was in 6th grade once while my sister and I were in her classroom after school. She also taught at a school that was in an area of social deprivation. Many incidents happened on campus (thankfully, nothing ever happened to her), but she always talks about her former students and how much she misses it. I know she would go back if she could.

Keep your chin up, Lilllabettt. I know what it's like to be homesick, but remember that you have overcome it before while being in school. With God's grace and Mary's prayers, you will overcome this, too, and come out a stronger person in the end. Prayers!

Posted

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1313635722' post='2290352']
Oh phatmass please pray for me. School is starting next Monday and I have no idea what I am doing. I had a bad day today getting my computers set up and I think tomorrow will be pretty hard too. I cry every day and I want my mom. If I ran away to a tropcial island, no one would find me. On the other hand, I'd have no phatmass
[/quote]

All of which is perfectly natural.

Repeat to yourself, when you start to get upset or question yourself, "I am exactly where God wants me to be, doing exactly what God wants me to do." If you read the saints' writings - and I believe you've already done some of that - few (none?) of them ever say, "I had just a really wonderful experience and a fantastic time doing the will of God! It was fun, I got to wear really neat clothes, I got to hang out with some wonderful people, and I looked marvelous while I was doing it, too!"

I'm a big believer in providence - God moves me where he wants me, to do what he wants me to do, when he wants me to do it. You're where you are, doing what you're doing, with precisely the people you're with, because you're [i]supposed[/i] to be there, doing that, with them. (BTW, some day I'm going to develop a stunningly breathtaking new area of theology that will take the whole field by storm - the theology of supposed-to. The upshot will be, "Just do what you're supposed to do.")









Call your mother. Every day if you want.









I'm gonna learn a prayer and say it for [i]you[/i].






Keep us updated, too - or else we won't know what we're supposed to pray for.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...