Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Michelle Bauchman


Recommended Posts

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1311117994' post='2270426']
Well, as someone from the south I have to say that I have never heard of something so awful as people assuming you're some stupid, backwards, racist, whatever based on where you're from and how you speak. That must be awful.
[/quote]
Me too. It must smell of elderberries to be constantly parodied on every source of media. Or to have your accent be the go-to whenever they want a "dummy" character. :(

Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1311118081' post='2270428']
Me too. It must smell of elderberries to be constantly parodied on every source of media. Or to have your accent be the go-to whenever they want a "dummy" character. :(
[/quote]

Yeah. It is annoying. But we have all the guns. So that helps.

Deus te Amat
Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1311117994' post='2270426']

I don't know. Yes. It's unfair. So is life. You can be bitter about it. You can hide your accent and lie about where you're from. Or you can develop a sense of humor about it.


It's your choice.


[/quote]


I actually have a bit of a fake accent routine, that never fails to get people laughing and change the subject. I have a sense of humor about it, really, but the original comment -- "lacking mentally?", went a bit too far.

I don't hide my accent. I barely have one. I do say "bag" like "bagel" and "root" like "foot" , and I'm proud of it. But I do not now, nor ever have, spoken like in Fargo. Nor do I hide my origin. I am obviously very proud to be from Minnesota.

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1311118204' post='2270431']
I actually have a bit of a fake accent routine, that never fails to get people laughing and change the subject. I have a sense of humor about it, really, but the original comment -- "lacking mentally?", went a bit too far.

I don't hide my accent. I barely have one. I do say "bag" like "bagel" and "root" like "foot" , and I'm proud of it. But I do not now, nor ever have, spoken like in Fargo. Nor do I hide my origin. I am obviously very proud to be from Minnesota.
[/quote]
What amuses me more is when people actually think Fargo is IN Minnesota. And then try to say that Minnesotans are backwards.

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1311117471' post='2270419']
No, I'm just sick of everyone judging me when they hear I'm from Minnesota. They don't believe that someone can succeed academically from such a "backwater" state. I am tired of people pulling out ridiculously fake accents and spouting lines from Fargo whenever they see me. I've been asked several times if I live in an igloo, have running water, and eat nothing but fish. [/quote]
How unfortunate that the people in the place you are currently living have such an unfortunate education in geography.

Now... let's all sit down and enjoy this nice tuna-noodle hotdish I've just pulled out of the oven, and stay on topic, bygolly.

Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1311116924' post='2270407']
Ooooh, someone is feisty (donchaknow!)!
[/quote]
well, if something stupid happens, it usually happens in Florida, donchaknow!

catholicinsd
Posted

Mrs. Bachmann is smarter and more compassionate, even in her lunacy, than most here.

Posted

[quote name='IrishGermanNorwegian' timestamp='1311120837' post='2270478']
Mrs. Bachmann is smarter and more compassionate, even in her lunacy, than most here.
[/quote]

Are you saying that God's country is stupid?

catholicinsd
Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1311121380' post='2270481']
Are you saying that God's country is stupid?
[/quote]


By 'here' I was of course referring to the Phatmas.

Posted

[quote name='IrishGermanNorwegian' timestamp='1311121531' post='2270485']
By 'here' I was of course referring to the Phatmas.
[/quote]



You're no fun. At all.


The gays would never accept you.


Not that I know. I have no friends in real life. But I have watched Will and Grace.

Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1311121660' post='2270490']
You're no fun. At all.


The gays would never accept you.


Not that I know. I have no friends in real life. But I have watched Will and Grace.
[/quote]
:getaclue:

Posted

[quote name='IrishGermanNorwegian' timestamp='1311120837' post='2270478']
Mrs. Bachmann is smarter and more compassionate, even in her lunacy, than most here.
[/quote]

Smarter? No. There are some truly intelligent individuals here, whose capacity for knowledge and critical thinking I truly envy, despite our disagreements.

More compassionate? Perhaps. I know she's adopted a bunch of kids, which is pretty cool.

Posted

[quote name='Red Knight' timestamp='1311100722' post='2270231']
All other issues with Mrs. Bachmann aside, the [b][i]electability[/i][/b] of a candidate [b][i]should[/i][/b] have no bearing on whether or not you vote for them. The objective is to elect a candidate that best reflects what you, the constituent, believe the Republic, or the State, should be doing, or [b]NOT[/b] doing. If people only vote for the electable candidate than we get the government we deserve.
My recommendation during this next election cycle is to do the necessary research on as many candidates as you can and vote based on principles.
[/quote]

I have a principle not to vote for people who are ridiculously offensive to me, and ones who have the same crazy eyes as the mean, bipolar and generally crazy landlady i suffered with recently.

:P

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1311117471' post='2270419']
No, I'm just sick of everyone judging me when they hear I'm from Minnesota. They don't believe that someone can succeed academically from such a "backwater" state. I am tired of people pulling out ridiculously fake accents and spouting lines from Fargo whenever they see me. [b]I've been asked several times if I live in an igloo, have running water, and eat nothing but fish.
[/b]
[/quote]


Awwwww, isnt that cute. that must get tiring.



*is canadian :P *

Posted

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1311117471' post='2270419']
No, I'm just sick of everyone judging me when they hear I'm from Minnesota. They don't believe that someone can succeed academically from such a "backwater" state. I am tired of people pulling out ridiculously fake accents and spouting lines from Fargo whenever they see me. I've been asked several times if I live in an igloo, have running water, and eat nothing but fish.

If you were to look at my Vite and heard me speak, without previous knowledge of my origin, I would be considered above the standard and ready to enter the world of academia (in grad school), but it seems that the moment my state comes into context, my IQ drops 30 points. The stereotype is unfounded, and promotion of it only implies ignorance on the part of the speaker.
[/quote]

You preach to the choir, I'm from West Virginia. I was counseling a student one day and she asked what to expect on a polygraph, and I gave her examples of the mundane and the extreme. When she asked me to clarify "Are you a sexual deviant" I explained about different statuatory rape laws that should be considered, animals, etc. "Well of course I didn't [have intercourse] with an animal, where the [expletive deleted] do you think I'm from? West Virginia?" Enter into about ten minutes of stereotype spewing before I moved my mug into full view from behind a textbook pile that said "West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources".

homeschoolmom
Posted
:hehe:
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1311199766' post='2271998']
:hehe:
[/quote]

Yeah. :lol3: It's like Dta said. If you've got the credentials and the lack of accent, everyone assumes you could never be from some "backwater". And then when they find out you are, it's like 30 points got knocked off your IQ.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...