An Old School Catholic Message Board

"meant To Be"

Lisa

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1311116223' post='2270402']
Private revelations are not binding on the general Church.
[/quote]
Quite true. However (and this is just a tangent) it's fascinating to look at approved private revelations and see how much agreement there is across cultures and time and status. I was reading Desmond Birch's book about the Catholic view of the eschaton, and it was quite eye-opening how mystics and saints, men and women, nuns and monks and priests and even some lay people were all shown the same things by God. By and large they all agreed on the things about which they spoke, for instance the three days of darkness, the antichrist, the new Holy Roman Empire (symbolically a continuation of the original HRE, I think)... [url="http://www.amazon.com/Trial-Tribulation-Triumph-Before-Antichrist/dp/1882972732/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311168397&sr=8-1"]great book[/url]. I highly recommend it. I loved Desmond's posts when he was here briefly.

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1311116223' post='2270402']
Private revelations are not binding on the general Church.
[/quote]

Yes, that is true. But at least for me, I'm much more inclined to take it seriously when it comes from a beatified or canonized Saint of the Church.

ImageTrinity

I asked my husband about this, and he told me not to get my knickers in a knot trying to understand the Will of God. :lol4:

Seriously though, now that we are married, our call is to love and serve the Lord by loving and serving each other. Giving too much thought to the "coulda's" doesn't help.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1311168416' post='2271389']
Quite true. However (and this is just a tangent) it's fascinating to look at approved private revelations and see how much agreement there is across cultures and time and status. I was reading Desmond Birch's book about the Catholic view of the eschaton, and it was quite eye-opening how mystics and saints, men and women, nuns and monks and priests and even some lay people were all shown the same things by God. By and large they all agreed on the things about which they spoke, for instance the three days of darkness, the antichrist, the new Holy Roman Empire (symbolically a continuation of the original HRE, I think)... [url="http://www.amazon.com/Trial-Tribulation-Triumph-Before-Antichrist/dp/1882972732/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311168397&sr=8-1"]great book[/url]. I highly recommend it. I loved Desmond's posts when he was here briefly.
[/quote]
Isn't he a great guy :)

true love is[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1310910100' post='2268714']
In Open Mic, Norseman brought up an interesting point: is there such a thing as the "person you're meant to be with"?

I'm inclined to think yes, but would like to hear your thoughts and if there is any Church teaching on the idea.
[/quote]

true

[i]A stranger you were once.
Then, with a gentle look you took my hand.
As our lives engaged,
you lit my life and I held both your hands.
Now that decades have passed,
ours souls have indeed become one.
How fortunate we are
that we have found the love so true
that everyone dreams about.

- Laura Veronica Merodio - [/i]

[b][size=5]Meant To Be[/size][/b]

“Meant to be” takes on a whole new meaning here in New York this Sunday; as the Marriage Equality Act takes effect.

[quote name='add' timestamp='1311511776' post='2274834']

“Meant to be” takes on a whole new meaning here in New York this Sunday; as the Marriage Equality Act takes effect.
[/quote]

It's a beautiful day :)

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1311533217' post='2275041']
It's a beautiful day :)
[/quote]

Well, here are my thoughts on that:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbqBDd75Q9k[/media]

Edited by Norseman82

Same-sex Marriage may make for a fine companionship, but it can never be equal to Heterosexual Marriage, as the difference is the ability to procreate.
A married man and a woman through romantic companionship and through their union are capable of producing their very own children/family/life

[quote name='add' timestamp='1312053859' post='2278595']
Same-sex Marriage may make for a fine companionship, but it can never be equal to Heterosexual Marriage, as the difference is the ability to procreate.
A married man and a woman through romantic companionship and through their union are capable of producing their very own children/family/life
[/quote]
Children must be "meant to be" so then too must be the parents of.

[quote name='add' timestamp='1311511776' post='2274834']

"Meant to be" takes on a whole new meaning here in New York this Sunday; as the Marriage Equality Act takes effect.
[/quote]
Civil marriage was in deep trouble long before anyone suggested granting government licenses to two men or to two women. Adultery, divorce, multiple marriages, loveless marriages and marriages of convenience and power have gutted marriage as an institution and natural arrangement between men and women, at least in the civil arena

[b]However, same-sex marriage is a "paradox to be"[/b]

Edited by add