An Old School Catholic Message Board

Labouré Society (Student Loan Resolution) New Program

LaboureSociety

LaboureSociety

[font="Palatino Linotype"]+

Dear Friends in Christ,

[/font][font="Palatino Linotype"]The Labouré Society exists to provide financial assistance and spiritual support to individuals, who must resolve student loans in order to pursue their vocation to priestly and/or religious life in the Catholic Church.

In the past, our program operated on a rolling application basis throughout the year. For a variety of reasons, that will no longer be the case. A[b]spirants hoping to enter in Summer 2012 and beyond, must apply before September 15, 2011 to be part of this year's (2011/2012) program. No Aspirants will be accepted outside of this program for entrance dates before or after. [/b]Please help spread the word if you know of individuals hoping to enter next year, who require student-debt resolution. Those not part of this year's class will be required to wait until the following 2012-2013 class for assistance.

We are very excited about the new program. The Labouré Society has granted over $2 million dollars to Aspirants since 2003, including $350,000 in 2010. However, our donations have not been able to meet the need of all Aspirants. We are confident the new program will allow more Aspirants to enter formation for priestly and/or religious life more quickly.

Please keep us in your prayers -we promise you ours.

If you have questions, please contact me at: julieheil@labouresociety.org.

All Best and Blessings in His Love,
The Labouré Society

[url="http://www.LaboureSociety.org"]www.LaboureSociety.org[/url]

* The Labouré Society assists vocations to religious communities that are in communion with the Holy Father and the Magisterium of the Catholic Church through fidelity to the Holy Catholic Church's doctrines and dogmas in their community statements and the activities of their individual members.[/font]

Edited by LaboureSociety

Chiara Francesco

This is a great program and how wonderful there is a new one. For the young people, there is Laboure and The [i] Mater Ecclesiae [/i] Fund for Vocations ([url="http://fundforvocations.org/"]http://fundforvocations.org/[/url]).

But older vocations need some sort of program too! Us older ones have "life debt" I guess you could call it - including a house to sell/pay off - and there is no help for us. Often our debt is [b]less[/b] than a student loan as sometimes these can be pretty high. And in the case of a house/proptery, the buyer would be getting something they can in turn re-sell or rent, etc.

I know of no programs for such older vocational debt. Does anyone know of any?

Edited by Chiara Francesco

Catherine Therese

What a wonderful initiative!!

I'm in debt, but don't qualify for the following reasons:

1. I'm Australian and I'm gathering this is a USA thing
2. My debt is a car debt, not a student debt... the problem is that I can't sell the car because of the current economic climate so I can't pay off my debt
3. I'm entering in 3 weeks

So I'm pretty much dependent on a miracle. This was God's crazy idea and I'm relying upon Him to sort this out for me. Meanwhile, since I'm in big financial trouble but can't apply for this program, please do pray for me!

HopefulBride

[quote name='LaboureSociety' timestamp='1311283098' post='2273176']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]+

Dear Friends in Christ,

[/font][font="Palatino Linotype"]The Labouré Society exists to provide financial assistance and spiritual support to individuals, who must resolve student loans in order to pursue their vocation to priestly and/or religious life in the Catholic Church.

In the past, our program operated on a rolling application basis throughout the year. For a variety of reasons, that will no longer be the case. A[b]spirants hoping to enter in Summer 2012 and beyond, must apply before September 15, 2011 to be part of this year's (2011/2012) program. No Aspirants will be accepted outside of this program for entrance dates before or after. [/b]Please help spread the word if you know of individuals hoping to enter next year, who require student-debt resolution. Those not part of this year's class will be required to wait until the following 2012-2013 class for assistance.

We are very excited about the new program. The Labouré Society has granted over $2 million dollars to Aspirants since 2003, including $350,000 in 2010. However, our donations have not been able to meet the need of all Aspirants. We are confident the new program will allow more Aspirants to enter formation for priestly and/or religious life more quickly.

Please keep us in your prayers -we promise you ours.

If you have questions, please contact me at: julieheil@labouresociety.org.

All Best and Blessings in His Love,
The Labouré Society

[url="http://www.LaboureSociety.org"]www.LaboureSociety.org[/url]

* The Labouré Society assists vocations to religious communities that are in communion with the Holy Father and the Magisterium of the Catholic Church through fidelity to the Holy Catholic Church's doctrines and dogmas in their community statements and the activities of their individual members.[/font]
[/quote]

Would current aspirants need to apply for this program?

LaboureSociety

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1311441280' post='2274365']
Would current aspirants need to apply for this program?
[/quote]

+

No. :) Current Aspirants do not need to reapply. They will be ushered into the new program. Details will be released to all current Aspirants on or before September 1, 2011.

LaboureSociety

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1311362435' post='2273938']
This is a great program and how wonderful there is a new one. For the young people, there is Laboure and The [i] Mater Ecclesiae [/i] Fund for Vocations ([url="http://fundforvocations.org/"]http://fundforvocations.org/[/url]).

But older vocations need some sort of program too! Us older ones have "life debt" I guess you could call it - including a house to sell/pay off - and there is no help for us. Often our debt is [b]less[/b] than a student loan as sometimes these can be pretty high. And in the case of a house/proptery, the buyer would be getting something they can in turn re-sell or rent, etc.

I know of no programs for such older vocational debt. Does anyone know of any?
[/quote]

Dear Chiara,

Yes, this is a difficult situation. We used to assist in resolving these types of debt as well. Now, however, the board has tightened our focus. My best advice to you is to rally your friends and community for sales, parish events, fundraisers, etc. These can all be effective means to resolve your debt and allow entrance. Once people see someone sell their home, car, computer, etc. they know the individual is serious and are usually very willing to do all that they can! The key is for the Aspirant to be living as frugally as they can as a demonstration of their commitment. I hope this helps!

Chiara Francesco

[quote name='LaboureSociety' timestamp='1311632261' post='2275885']
Dear Chiara,

Yes, this is a difficult situation. We used to assist in resolving these types of debt as well. Now, however, the board has tightened our focus. My best advice to you is to rally your friends and community for sales, parish events, fundraisers, etc. These can all be effective means to resolve your debt and allow entrance. Once people see someone sell their home, car, computer, etc. they know the individual is serious and are usually very willing to do all that they can! The key is for the Aspirant to be living as frugally as they can as a demonstration of their commitment. I hope this helps!
[/quote]

Thanks for responding but, sadly, it doesn't help! I am living frugally - very much so. I can't sell my car as I have to still work to pay the mortgage and bills. I'm trying to sell the house but no luck yet. I can't sell my computer as it is promised to a family member who can't afford their own - was laid off - plus it's pretty old. I have gotten rid of a lot of the unnecessary things - from clothes, furniture, etc. I am past being serious but local help isn't available - barring a miracle, and that is within God's realm as we know so it's up to Him.

My parish can' help as it built a new church a few yrs ago and is very much in debt and not much coming in to bring this church mortgage down. They have fundraisers, garage sales with donations from the parish to bring down the church's mortgages and bills. Plus, then you have many out of work and families helping other family members out of work, etc. so they have no resource for others.

A recent church collection for their St. Vincent de Paul ministry to help the poor was very dismal recently so I am hardly more important the poor families! All I can do is wait on God.

Edited by Chiara Francesco

MissScripture

[quote name='Catherine Therese' timestamp='1311434975' post='2274313']
What a wonderful initiative!!

I'm in debt, but don't qualify for the following reasons:

1. I'm Australian and I'm gathering this is a USA thing
2. My debt is a car debt, not a student debt... the problem is that I can't sell the car because of the current economic climate so I can't pay off my debt
3. I'm entering in 3 weeks

So I'm pretty much dependent on a miracle. This was God's crazy idea and I'm relying upon Him to sort this out for me. Meanwhile, since I'm in big financial trouble but can't apply for this program, please do pray for me!
[/quote]
Wow! Prayers for sure! I'm sure you've already asked them, but make sure your soon-to-be big sisters are praying for you! They definitely cause miracles!

HopefulBride

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1311649734' post='2276033']
Thanks for responding but, sadly, it doesn't help! I am living frugally - very much so. I can't sell my car as I have to still work to pay the mortgage and bills. I'm trying to sell the house but no luck yet. I can't sell my computer as it is promised to a family member who can't afford their own - was laid off - plus it's pretty old. I have gotten rid of a lot of the unnecessary things - from clothes, furniture, etc. I am past being serious but local help isn't available - barring a miracle, and that is within God's realm as we know so it's up to Him.

My parish can' help as it built a new church a few yrs ago and is very much in debt and not much coming in to bring this church mortgage down. They have fundraisers, garage sales with donations from the parish to bring down the church's mortgages and bills. Plus, then you have many out of work and families helping other family members out of work, etc. so they have no resource for others.

A recent church collection for their St. Vincent de Paul ministry to help the poor was very dismal recently so I am hardly more important the poor families! All I can do is wait on God.
[/quote]

Chiara,

I feel where you are coming from. Especially on the local help part; it's been hard for me to get help from my parish due to various things they have going on. I have sold my car and got rid of my insurance (now on my sister's) in an effort to maximize funds that I put toward my student loans. I try to keep my travel to work and church in order not to use too much gas. I've been making rosaries that I have been fortunate enough to be able to sell at the catholic store and I planned a dinner (working on another one) that helped raise some funds and awareness.

You'd be amazed what a difference awareness can make. For example, at the dinner the funds collected were prolly about 500 dollars but the buzz that the dinner created brought in another 1000 (invitations to speak to groups of women, to girls' groups etc..) I have also been reaching out beyond my local community and asking friends to help with mail out and helping spread the word about my situation as well as those of all future religious in similar situation as us.

Is it possible you can get with your local Serra club or Knights of Columbus to plan some kind of fundraising dinner? The first dinner that I planned, I paid for everything myself but I am planning another one with the help of my local K of C and Serra club (they offered assistance after they heard of the first dinner) and I am hoping they can also help get the word out and maybe folks who can't attend might be apt to donate.

I would highly suggest getting in touch with the Laboure Society to get more info to see how they can help. I have been working with them and though I have not raised a huge amount, it has been significant for my area and it is still more than would have ordinarily been going toward my debt had I been working on my own. I find that people are more open to giving if it is to an organization rather than directly to a person.

I will pray for you and all those who find themselves in a similar situation. Let us put our trust in the Lord to provide so that we are able to readily answer his call.

In Christ,
Hopeful

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1311649734' post='2276033']

[/quote]

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1311677659' post='2276132']
Chiara,

I feel where you are coming from. Especially on the local help part; it's been hard for me to get help from my parish due to various things they have going on. I have sold my car and got rid of my insurance (now on my sister's) in an effort to maximize funds that I put toward my student loans. I try to keep my travel to work and church in order not to use too much gas. I've been making rosaries that I have been fortunate enough to be able to sell at the catholic store and I planned a dinner (working on another one) that helped raise some funds and awareness.

You'd be amazed what a difference awareness can make. For example, at the dinner the funds collected were prolly about 500 dollars but the buzz that the dinner created brought in another 1000 (invitations to speak to groups of women, to girls' groups etc..) I have also been reaching out beyond my local community and asking friends to help with mail out and helping spread the word about my situation as well as those of all future religious in similar situation as us.

Is it possible you can get with your local Serra club or Knights of Columbus to plan some kind of fundraising dinner? The first dinner that I planned, I paid for everything myself but I am planning another one with the help of my local K of C and Serra club (they offered assistance after they heard of the first dinner) and I am hoping they can also help get the word out and maybe folks who can't attend might be apt to donate.

I would highly suggest getting in touch with the Laboure Society to get more info to see how they can help. I have been working with them and though I have not raised a huge amount, it has been significant for my area and it is still more than would have ordinarily been going toward my debt had I been working on my own. I find that people are more open to giving if it is to an organization rather than directly to a person.

I will pray for you and all those who find themselves in a similar situation. Let us put our trust in the Lord to provide so that we are able to readily answer his call.

In Christ,
Hopeful
[/quote]

Chiara and Hopeful,

I too have private debt. One thing suggested to me is to talk to your local Knights of Columbus chapters. At least where I am the Knights have been very helpful with debt resolution.

Prayers,

Emilie

Is there any way one of these funds could give small grants to would-be aspirants who wish to visit a community that has invited them to visit? We have had several young women interested in the SSEWs recently, for example, who can't afford to make a trip. This would not involve a lot of money.

[quote name='LaboureSociety' timestamp='1311632261' post='2275885'] Dear Chiara, Yes, this is a difficult situation. We used to assist in resolving these types of debt as well. Now, however, the board has tightened our focus. My best advice to you is to rally your friends and community for sales, parish events, fundraisers, etc. These can all be effective means to resolve your debt and allow entrance. Once people see someone sell their home, car, computer, etc. they know the individual is serious and are usually very willing to do all that they can! The key is for the Aspirant to be living as frugally as they can as a demonstration of their commitment. I hope this helps![/quote]

Chiara is right though -- if I decide to try one last time to enter another community, it is the third time that I resolve my debts and entered. The debts that I incurred were in order to reestablish myself.

Selling the car -- well, if you are working up until you enter and live outside of a major city, the car is a necessity that cannot be sold until very close to entrance. Had to do that one of the times -- and got it sold about a week before leaving (and spent like a month worrying about its sale since nothing was happening -- I ended up taking a major loss and putting in a good amount of money to clear the loan).

I have found it to be difficult to get help from others ... there has been a person here or there that has stepped up and helped, but it is few and far between. Especially since those that I deal with within my parish community are in need themselves.

If I found the right community to enter at this point -- my entrance would have to be delayed. Likely years. Because of the home (its the same cost to buy as to rent where I live ... and since I don't know if I will enter it was time to try to buy). If I sold the home now, I would easily have a $10,000-$15,000 loss. And I brought towards the bottom of the market.

Maybe if I decide to stay a lay person not in a religious community, I'll start such a fund. It is needed -- and it is a cause for "hopelessness" when the debts seem too overwhelming to overcome.

I do appreciate the work that the Laboure society is doing -- it is just disheartening for those of us who are older that cannot simply get rid of the debt and make it disappear, even with good effort.

Oh rich fairy Godmother, where are you? :)

Edited by cmariadiaz