kujo Posted July 25, 2011 Posted July 25, 2011 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1311602820' post='2275506'] I never heard this stereotype. I didn't know that are infatuated with weddings. Must be why they are so gung-ho on this same-sex marriage issue. And I thought they were too busy worshipping Madonna and Cher. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/hmmm.gif[/img] well since I am a homophobe, my sub-conscience must have intended for it to be a gay joke. Actually, I was knocking all the people[mostly women] that were oohing and aahing all over the place about this royal wedding. [/quote] I take you at your word, sir.
Debra Little Posted July 25, 2011 Posted July 25, 2011 [quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1311454288' post='2274459'] What's with all the argument about this, lately? Let's move on. [/quote] you can't move on from something that isn't solved. you have to heal the breach first.
Debra Little Posted July 25, 2011 Posted July 25, 2011 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1311457952' post='2274487'] Yeah! Why don't we just not talk about our discriminatory beliefs? Let sleeping dogs lie, right? [/quote] that would be nice but this dog needs to wake up kujo. the breach between the church and society needs to be healed or we can't move on.
Vincent Vega Posted July 25, 2011 Posted July 25, 2011 [quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1311622451' post='2275815'] that would be nice but this dog needs to wake up kujo. the breach between the church and society needs to be healed or we can't move on. [/quote] The world and the Church have always been and will always be at odds. That's the way it works. John 15:18-20 "If the world hate you, know ye, that it hath hated me before you. If you had been of the world, the world would love its own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember my word that I said to you: The servant is not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you: if they have kept my word, they will keep yours also."
dominicansoul Posted July 25, 2011 Posted July 25, 2011 the Church is not supposed to [i]change with the world[/i], but [i]change the world [/i]...
Ash Wednesday Posted July 25, 2011 Posted July 25, 2011 We could always talk about cows, and argue over what breed of cow is best. I think jersey cows are pretty cute.
Groo the Wanderer Posted July 25, 2011 Posted July 25, 2011 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1311626565' post='2275847'] We could always talk about cows, and argue over what breed of cow is best. I think jersey cows are pretty cute. [/quote] wow! i can't believe you just called all the women in New Jersey cows! Joiseyphobe!!
CatherineM Posted July 25, 2011 Posted July 25, 2011 The Church isn't broken, just us humans. Original sin.
havok579257 Posted July 25, 2011 Posted July 25, 2011 [quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1311622451' post='2275815'] that would be nice but this dog needs to wake up kujo. the breach between the church and society needs to be healed or we can't move on. [/quote] how would you heal this breach debra? would you change sacred scripture and sacred tradition to fit the whims of society? to heal this breach should the church get behind and support abortion, something society says is not only ok, but a right. i would honeslty like to know what breach the church nneds to heal with society on. also if the church is to change doctorine for one thing, why not change it on all things to fit society's wants? i would honestly like to hear how and why you think the church should change its teachings to better fit societys wants currently.
kujo Posted July 26, 2011 Posted July 26, 2011 [quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1311633207' post='2275894'] how would you heal this breach debra? would you change sacred scripture and sacred tradition to fit the whims of society? to heal this breach should the church get behind and support abortion, something society says is not only ok, but a right. i would honeslty like to know what breach the church nneds to heal with society on. also if the church is to change doctorine for one thing, why not change it on all things to fit society's wants? i would honestly like to hear how and why you think the church should change its teachings to better fit societys wants currently. [/quote] Hi In my opinion--not answering your question on behalf of Debra, just answering the question you posed since I found it interesting-- is that homosexuals--and homosexuality on the whole-- ought not to be viewed in the same moral light as abortion, or Hitler, or the Rwandaan genocide. That would be a good start.
Luigi Posted July 26, 2011 Posted July 26, 2011 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1311652874' post='2276062'] Hi In my opinion--not answering your question on behalf of Debra, just answering the question you posed since I found it interesting-- is that homosexuals--and homosexuality on the whole-- ought not to be viewed in the same moral light as abortion, or Hitler, or the Rwandaan genocide. That would be a good start. [/quote] I don't think it is. Not by most people, and definitely not by Catholic theology or teaching. You are comparing it to murder on some pretty vast scales, and the Church just defines it as a moral disorder based on an inappropriate object. But I don't think that means we necessarily want to legalize it, either.
kujo Posted July 26, 2011 Posted July 26, 2011 [quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1311653238' post='2276066'] I don't think it is. Not by most people, and definitely not by Catholic theology or teaching. You are comparing it to murder on some pretty vast scales, and the Church just defines it as a moral disorder based on an inappropriate object. But I don't think that means we necessarily want to legalize it, either. [/quote] Yet, it has been compared countless times on PM to all of those things. Go look through all the various threads on the subject that have cropped up over the last month or so. But do yourself a favor--only read the posts by Socrates, Havok, Papist and Nihil. That quartet seems to love to Hitler-bomb every single discussion they get into (see: Marijuana=abortion)
Luigi Posted July 26, 2011 Posted July 26, 2011 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1311653891' post='2276071'] Yet, it has been compared countless times on PM to all of those things. Go look through all the various threads on the subject that have cropped up over the last month or so. But do yourself a favor--only read the posts by Socrates, Havok, Papist and Nihil. That quartet seems to love to Hitler-bomb every single discussion they get into (see: Marijuana=abortion) [/quote] Well.... I'm not going to waste my time looking up their posts. I'll take your word for it. But I don't support exaggerated rhetoric on any of these questions by any posters. It seems to me that the thing to do on a phorum like Phatmass is to tone down the rhetoric, post actual Church teaching, and improve our understanding of the question in the process. And if only four people (I realize it's probably just the first four names that came to mind, but it's a tiny minority nonetheless) are talking in those kinds of exaggerations.... out of all the people who post on Phatmass.... well, that's what I use the Ignore button for.
kujo Posted July 26, 2011 Posted July 26, 2011 [quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1311654647' post='2276077'] Well.... I'm not going to waste my time looking up their posts. I'll take your word for it. But I don't support exaggerated rhetoric on any of these questions by any posters. It seems to me that the thing to do on a phorum like Phatmass is to tone down the rhetoric, post actual Church teaching, and improve our understanding of the question in the process. And if only four people (I realize it's probably just the first four names that came to mind, but it's a tiny minority nonetheless) are talking in those kinds of exaggerations.... out of all the people who post on Phatmass.... well, that's what I use the Ignore button for. [/quote] Can we still ignore people? Not that I'd use it--I think it's important to point out these outrageous analogies whenever I see them.
Luigi Posted July 26, 2011 Posted July 26, 2011 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1311654740' post='2276078'] Can we still ignore people? Not that I'd use it--I think it's important to point out these outrageous analogies whenever I see them. [/quote] At the top of the page, in the left corner, clikc on Signed In AS XXXX, then scroll down to manage Ignored Users. Voila!
Luigi Posted July 26, 2011 Posted July 26, 2011 [quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1311655041' post='2276082'] At the top of the page, in the left corner, clikc on Signed In AS XXXX, then scroll down to manage Ignored Users. Voila! [/quote] I should add that we never [i]fully[/i] ignore the Ignored. The most salient parts of their posts show up as quotes in other people's responses, even if you never read any of their posts. But that Manage Ignored Users is wonderful blood pressure therapy!
Papist Posted July 26, 2011 Posted July 26, 2011 [font="Arial"][size=3][quote name='kujo' timestamp='1311653891' post='2276071'] Yet, it has been compared countless times on PM to all of those things. Go look through all the various threads on the subject that have cropped up over the last month or so. But do yourself a favor--only read the posts by Socrates, Havok, Papist and Nihil. That quartet seems to love to Hitler-bomb every single discussion they get into (see: Marijuana=abortion) [/quote] I have never here at PM or anywhere else compared, much less equated, homosexuality to abortion, Hitler or any genocide. [/size][/font][font="Arial"][size=3] [/size][/font]
havok579257 Posted July 26, 2011 Posted July 26, 2011 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1311652874' post='2276062'] Hi In my opinion--not answering your question on behalf of Debra, just answering the question you posed since I found it interesting-- is that homosexuals--and homosexuality on the whole-- ought not to be viewed in the same moral light as abortion, or Hitler, or the Rwandaan genocide. That would be a good start. [/quote] but again, should the church change its doctorines and beliefs to better fit with society? also if it changes one, why then not change anyone the majority of people dislike, such as contraception? basically, we can all agree that up until recently homosexual sex acts were looked at as immoral and wrong by society. although just recently they are looked at as normal and not only ok but something good. so your advocating changing church doctorine to fit with society, since now it says its ok. what happens in 50 years when society deems marriage obsolete and its better just to live with people, but have no commitement. should the church then change doctorine to accomodate those people? the church was not made to change its doctorines and teachings because of what society deems as good and acceptable. although this is what your advocating. so why even have the church then? if God's laws don't matter and instead what matters is what society deems as acceptable, whey even have the church then?
havok579257 Posted July 26, 2011 Posted July 26, 2011 (edited) [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1311653891' post='2276071'] Yet, it has been compared countless times on PM to all of those things. Go look through all the various threads on the subject that have cropped up over the last month or so. But do yourself a favor--only read the posts by Socrates, Havok, Papist and Nihil. That quartet seems to love to Hitler-bomb every single discussion they get into (see: Marijuana=abortion) [/quote] and here comes the lies and perosnal attacks. so everytime... everytime we post in a topic, we always bring up hitler. lying is a sin. unless you can show that everytime we talk we bring up hitler, you are just lying to try and make your point seem genuine. anytime anyone disagree's with you, you claim outrageous things. Edited July 26, 2011 by havok579257
Papist Posted July 26, 2011 Posted July 26, 2011 [font=Tahoma][size=2]If the Church changes its teachings on faith andmorals, then the Church no longer exists.[/size][/font]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now