An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cheating On Tests - Mortal Or Venial Sin?

Little Flower

Little Flower

So I was talking with a friend about this, and we weren't really sure what the answer was. We agreed that cheating on, for example, the PSAT or SAT which can get you scholarship money would def be mortal, and my friend thinks cheating on quarter exams is only a more serious venial sin, but i thought that might be mortal, and i wasn't sure about tests that affect your grade but arent, like, the quarter or semester exam or something. What is the answer?

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1312934681' post='2285169']
So I was talking with a friend about this, and we weren't really sure what the answer was. We agreed that cheating on, for example, the PSAT or SAT which can get you scholarship money would def be mortal, and my friend thinks cheating on quarter exams is only a more serious venial sin, but i thought that might be mortal, and i wasn't sure about tests that affect your grade but arent, like, the quarter or semester exam or something. What is the answer?
[/quote]

The first condition, that a mortal sin is of grave matter, means that certain premeditated offenses against God are more severe than others.

Given the above IMO it isn't a grave matter.

Cheating on a test in school is a venial sin. Cheating on a more serious test, something like the SAT or some kind of test that determines your future, is more serious, but still not mortal.[color=#000000][/color][/left]