An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missionaries Of Divine Revelation (They Have Green Habits)

Lumiere

Green is a post-Vatican II innovation. Green clearly violates the sense of dreariness associated with pre-Vatican religious life expressed through the centuries-old-traditions of black, brown, or gray habits (except for the Dominicans, of course, but they've always been somewhat peculiar). If black, brown, and gray were good enough for centuries' worth of sainted religious, they're good enough for me.

I hope these radical innovators become known as "the green nuns" and people get the mistaken idea that they're Martians!

And what is up with those stupid turtlenecks?!?! YET ANOTHER post-Vatican II innovation. No orthodox saint EVER wore a turtleneck! (You can read the ENTIRE Catholic Encyclopedia, including the orthodox 1903 edition, and NEVER find mention of a saint in a turtleneck.)

Green dresses and turtleneck shirts...

Now that I think about it, I hope they come to be known as the Holy Turtles! Hard-shelled Catholics!

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1313306906' post='2287554']
Green is a post-Vatican II innovation. Green clearly violates the sense of dreariness associated with pre-Vatican religious life expressed through the centuries-old-traditions of black, brown, or gray habits (except for the Dominicans, of course, but they've always been somewhat peculiar). If black, brown, and gray were good enough for centuries' worth of sainted religious, they're good enough for me.

I hope these radical innovators become known as "the green nuns" and people get the mistaken idea that they're Martians!

And what is up with those stupid turtlenecks?!?! YET ANOTHER post-Vatican II innovation. No orthodox saint EVER wore a turtleneck! (You can read the ENTIRE Catholic Encyclopedia, including the orthodox 1903 edition, and NEVER find mention of a saint in a turtleneck.)

Green dresses and turtleneck shirts...

Now that I think about it, I hope they come to be known as the Holy Turtles! Hard-shelled Catholics!
[/quote]
never mind...its not worth it.

Edited by linnie

Folks! Do not get angry!

Luigi is playing!

Luigi has also said that my kitchen table is a post-Vatican II innovation.

Which I suppose, it is.

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1313339945' post='2287626']
Folks! Do not get angry!

Luigi is playing!

Luigi has also said that my kitchen table is a post-Vatican II innovation.

Which I suppose, it is.
[/quote]

BINGO!!!

loveofchrist1

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1313349727' post='2287708']
Luigi is a post-Vatican II innovation :hehe2:
[/quote]
:hehe2: so true!

Edited by loveofchrist1

[Envision the Muppets' two old critics sitting in the theatre box - speak accordingly.]

PHATMASS is a post-Vatican II innovation. Chat boards clearly violate the traditions of the one, true Roman Catholic Church! Two full millenia of pre-Vatican orthodox Catholic faithful, including all the saints who are worth anything at all, had no need for chatboards on which to share their faith, encourage their brethren and sistern, inquire, learn, or celebrate.

If "no chat boards" was good enough for centuries' worth of Catholics, "no chat boards" is good enough for me!

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1313082292' post='2285955']
Now if someone could just find the sisters I saw in Rome who wore light pink and light lavender habits. Its driving me nuts!
[/quote]

Could the pink habits have been [url="http://www.ucanews.com/2011/02/22/filipino-sisters-break-cycle-of-trafficking/"]these sisters[/url]?

Here is another [url="http://www.mqhm.org/home-of-love-photos/#"]picture[/url] which perhaps shows the colour better.

[url="http://www.mqhm.org/"]Here[/url] is their site.

Edited by Lumiere

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1313512097' post='2289140']

Could the pink habits have been [url="http://www.ucanews.com/2011/02/22/filipino-sisters-break-cycle-of-trafficking/"]these sisters[/url]?

Here is another [url="http://www.mqhm.org/home-of-love-photos/#"]picture[/url] which perhaps shows the colour better.

[url="http://www.mqhm.org/"]Here[/url] is their site.
[/quote]

You know....it could be. thanks

• 5 weeks later...

A question for the VS people:

could I interest you in some quotes from a book about the founders of the "sorelle verdi," the Green Sisters, as the Italians nickname them?

The book is in Italian. If there is anything in print (off-line) about this congregation in English, I do not know of it. The book dates from within the last ten years, and was written by a woman journalist who specializes in stories about miracles, apparitions, saints, and extraordinary/supernaturals. It appears to me, just reading (my Italian is Spanish so it isn't very good), that the author is Catholic herself, she is certainly conversant with the culture of devout practicing Catholics.

Of particular interest in this book:
a chapter about Madre Prisca Mormina who led the women who became the first Missionaries of Divine Revelation; a native of Sicily, now deceased.
a few chapters about the "community" in the decades before the religious congregation became official, when they were living a common rule but had to do so as laypersons.

Actually much of the book is about the apparition at Tre Fontane grotto of the Virgin of the Revelation, and about the man to whom She appeared, Bruno Cornacchiola.

Anyone want to read more?

"Madre Prisca," excerpts from chapter 19 of that title, translated from the original Italian.
author: Anna Maria Turi; publication date, 2005.
Book title: La Vita di Bruno Cornacchiola

Actually to start, it is easier NOT to quote. So, a little reporting instead.

1998 was the year when Madre Prisca Mormina died. Up to that point, she had been the "mother general" of the small, steadily growing community of Catholics who had made promises or taken vows of some sort. She lived in this community, which in the earliest years meant sharing home and hearth with the family of Bruno Cornacchiola, in extreme poverty and duress. Cornacchiola himself, whom everyone recognizes as the founder, died in 2001.
As far as I can tell, "Missionaries [sisters] of the Divine Revelation" was a name that was conferred AFTER the death of Madre Prisca, not while she lived; so the name itself is recent. In fact this latter name for the sisters is nowhere to be found in Anna Maria Turi's book published in 2005.

My educated guess is, that "Missionaries of the Divine Revelation" is a congregation name, newly conferred upon a group of women whose beginnings go back many decades, when they lived and worked under the identity of a group with a different name entirely.
In the chapter recounting the death of founder Bruno Cornacchiola, the author states:
"In that period, the sisters within his community were distancing themselves from [the founder's original association] , and this caused the dying founder much anguish." p. 169. The statement refers directly to 2001, when Cornacchiola was dying. By then Madre Prisca had been dead for three years. Safe to speculate that once Madre Prisca died, her successors among the women pursued directions which they would not have dared to pursue before?

Chapter 19, p. 148. Before she professed perpetual private vows in 1954, she was known by her baptismal name of Concetta Mormina. She came from a Sicilian family of four, with which she lived as long as her parents were alive. She was caring for her widowed mother when she encountered Bruno Cornacchiola in Rome; and during her mother's final illness, the adult daughter prepared to devote her future to Cornacchiola's community called "Associazione SACRI", also referred to as "Ardenti di Cristo" for short.
As "Prisca" Mormina, after seeing to the legalities of her mother's death and estate, she moved in with the new impoverished community. The charism of its founder, Cornacchiola, was education through catechism, with the goal of bringing about world peace through conversion to the Catholic faith through the Blessed Virgin Mary, the "Vergine della Rivelazione." The group was formally incorporated in the year 1948. Already when Concetta Mormina professed vows, six year later, she was regarded by some in the community with envy, jealousy, and suspicion, belittled by some as "una piccola cosa" -- just a little thing -- who was hardly adequate to the charge of administration and direction of the community of the faithful.

More to follow in future posts.