An Old School Catholic Message Board

Higher Vocation?

jennyanne

Strictlyinkblot

If you were the only person on Earth Jesus would die just for you over and over again. That's how much he loves you and me and everyone on Earth. For years I thought I'd failed God because I didn't feel any kind of peace when I discerned whether I had a vocation. Now I know I was wrong. There is nothing I can do to stop God loving me. He is always waiting for me to run back to him. That's how he loves each one of us. I'll pray for you

[quote name='jennyanne' timestamp='1314401485' post='2295525']
Does anyone have a good way of understanding religious life as a higher vocation without feeling put down if one is not called to it? Just wondering why if God loves each of us infinitely He would not want to have the deepest intimacy with each of us instead of only with some...any thoughts?
[/quote]

The priesthood and religious life are higher states in life. It is the actual state in life that is higher than any other state in life and this is an objective theological determination. The religious life is the "state of perfection". Objectively speaking it is the state of perfection. It is that state in life whose purpose is to achieve perfection with all the means to do so; hence, also, it makes greater demands and expectations of those thus called with all Graces necessary to live that higher call.

Subjectively speaking, nothing can be higher than God's Will - and nothing can be higher than God's Will for a person. God's Will, subjectively speaking could be said to be higher than the priesthood or religious life.

It is a mystery why some are called to the higher states and others not - although possibly it is only confusing to a person who is thinking in an individualistic type manner i.e. of self and desiring the best for self. We are the Mystical Body of Christ, some called to this function, others to that. It has nothing to do with being more or less loved, more or less better than anyone else. With our call and vocation comes all the Graces necessary to live that vocation, hence no credit to self whatever. A person can achieve great holiness and sanctity in any vocation whatsoever and holiness and sanctity ideally is our desire for self, which can alone be achieved by lovingly embracing God's Will in all things - while objectively speaking the priesthood and religious life are higher states in life. I guess if I am upset because I am not called to a higher state in life, then I do not grasp the great dignity of being called anywhere at all by God's Will and to lovingly embrace God's Will and all the duties of my state in life as God's Means of leading me to holiness along a particular path and of building up The Mystical Body of Christ on earth. If I am upset, then I have some growing to do in both understanding (knowledge) and in humility.

It could be said that only I can complete God's Task for me on earth and the same for us all. We are needed where we are called by God and needed there by Him in His Divine Plan of salvation.

JennyAnne- welcome. Like everyone else has said: you are special, wonderfully made, and a daughter of the Creator of All. I just wanted to summarize a little bit of BarbaraTherese's post, which was amesome, and the terms "objective" and "subjective" (these are things that don't necessarily mean the same thing in church-speak as in regular English.

From the church's teaching, the vocation to the religious life is a higher calling in the terms that it is the beginning of the eschatological (heavenly) union with God. Sometimes you here women say they are "spouses" of Christ; they are living their intimate union strictly with the Lord. In married life, (or I would even say relationships of the single life), your relationships with other people are a bit like a prototype- they show you what the end result will be without being a perfect, flawless example- of the never-ending union with Christ. So that's the reasoning behind the teaching of the Church about why the vocation, i.e. the [b]object[/b], is a higher calling.

But the Church also teaches that following God's call for your life is the way to live the fullest life ever. Like the story about St. Therese's analogy, we can only be as full as we are made to be. So you are living your highest calling in life by following His will- this is the church's teaching about you, the [b]subject[/b]!

I think it's also important to differentiate between a higher vocation and a better vocation for you. Clearly, you should chose the better vocation for you, the one the Lord has planned!!!!!

God Bless!

"Yes, the religious life is a great calling. The Catholic Church teaches, as dogma, that a consecrated life of celibacy is a superior calling than the married state, and should be preferred, if it is within the capacity and disposition of the soul to do so. This teaching is matter for much meditation. Marriage is a sacrament that requires much self-sacrifice and love, and can be a means of great holiness. So why is the religious life, though not a sacrament, objectively a superior calling? Let’s examine what Scripture, the Church and some of the saints have said."

Pope John Paul II, Vita Consecrata, no. 32
"As a way of showing forth the Church's holiness, it is to be recognized that the consecrated life, which mirrors Christ's own way of life, has an objective superiority. Precisely for this reason, it is an especially rich manifestation of Gospel values and a more complete expression of the Church's purpose, which is the sanctification of humanity. The consecrated life proclaims and in a certain way anticipates the future age, when the fullness of the Kingdom of Heaven, already present in its first fruits and in mystery,[62] will be achieved and when the children of the resurrection will take neither wife nor husband, but will be like the angels of God (cf. Mt. 22:30)"
Pope Pius XII, Sacra Virginitas, no. 32
"This doctrine of the excellence of virginity and of celibacy and of their superiority over the married state was, as we have already said, revealed by our Divine Redeemer and by the Apostle of the Gentiles; so too, it was solemnly defined as a dogma of divine faith by the holy council of Trent, and explained in the same way by all the holy Fathers and Doctors of the Church."

Council of Trent
"If anyone saith that the marriage state is to be preferred before the state of virginity, let him be anathema." [...] "writing to the Corinthians, [Paul] says: I would that all men were even as myself; that is, that all embrace the virtue of continence...A life of continence is to be desired by all." (cf. Catechism of the Council of Trent, pg. 225)
Catechism of the Catholic Church, p. 916
"The state of the consecrated life is thus one way of experiencing a 'more intimate' consecration, rooted in Baptism and dedicated totally to God. In the consecrated life, Christ's faithful, moved by the Holy Spirit, propose to follow Christ more nearly, to give themselves to God who is loved above all and, pursuing the perfection of charity in the service of the Kingdom, to signify and proclaim in the Church the glory of the world to come."
[b] [/b]
[b]According To The Saints[/b]

The Saints offer us additional insight, namely, that the consecrated life is the surest path to sainthood, for this is the very purpose of the existence of religious life: to generate saints and sanctify the world. The highest form of love is the cross. It is thus that the religious, through a life of continual prayer, penance, and mortification, draws down from heaven the grace of conversion for souls throughout the world. To be a religious means to become little co-redeemers of the world, united to the cross as our Divine Lord. Without knowing it, the religious men and women sustain the world in existence. And they are able to do so precisely because they have left the ways of the world, and can rise, without distraction, to the highest degrees of union with Our Lord.

Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
"They [religious] live more purely, they fall more rarely, they rise more speedily, they are aided more powerfully, they live more peacefully, they die more securely, and they are rewarded more abundantly.
Saint Faustina
"Today, the Lord gave me knowledge of His anger toward mankind which deserves to have its days shortened because of its sins. But I learned that the world's existence is maintained by chosen souls; that is, the religious orders. Woe to the world when there will be a lack of religious orders!" - diary, Dec. 1937, paragraph 1434 "[The] Child Jesus said to me, 'Look at the sky.' And when I looked at the sky I saw the stars and the moon shining. Then the child asked me, 'Do you see this moon and these stars?' When I said yes, he spoke these words to me, 'These stars are the souls of faithful Christians, and the moon is the souls of religious. Do you see how great the difference is between the light of the moon and the light of the stars? Such is the difference in heaven between the soul of a religious and the soul of a faithful Christian'." - diary, May 12, 1935, paragraph 424
Saint Ignatius, founder of the Jesuit order
"If a person thinks of embracing a secular life, he should ask and desire more evident signs that God calls him to a secular life than if there were question of embracing the evangelical counsels; for Our Lord Himself has clearly exhorted us to embrace His counsels."
Saint Cyprian of Carthage, A.D. 258
"But chastity maintains the first rank in virgins, the second in those who are continent (celibate), the third in the case of wedlock." [...] "While laws are prescribed to matrons ... virginity and continency are beyond all law; there is nothing in the laws of matrimony which pertains to virginity; for by its loftiness it transcends them all."
Saint Athanasius of Alexandria, A.D. 373
"Now if a man choose the way of the world, namely marriage, he is not indeed to blame; yet he will not receive such great gifts as the other. For he will receive, since he too brings forth fruit, namely thirtyfold. But if a man embraces the holy and unearthly way, even though as compared with the former it be rugged and hard to accomplish, nonetheless it has the more wonderful gifts: for it grows the perfect fruit, namely a hundredfold."

[b] Does this mean that Marriage is Somehow "Bad"?[/b]

The Church teaches that marriage and the consecrated life were both created by Our Lord Himself, and are thus both to be held in high esteem. According to the Church, the two vocations are inseparable to one another; they reinforce and support each other (cf. p.1620). It is thus that marriage should never be scorned or looked down upon.[indent]"Whoever denigrates marriage also diminishes the glory of virginity. Whoever praises it [marriage] makes virginity more admirable and resplendent. What appears good only in comparison with evil would not be truly good. The most excellent good is something even better than what is admitted to be good." - Catechism of the Catholic Church, p.1620[/indent]
In brief, rather than viewing marriage as something negative, one should view both vocations as positives. In this vein, we may consider marriage to be a good, and consecrated life, a better good. This echoes Paul exortation to the Corinthians; "So then, he who marries the virgin does good, but he who does not marry her does even better." (1 Cor 7:38). Saint Ambrose, in a treatise on virginity, repeats; "I am comparing good things with good things, that it may be clear which is the more excellent." The Church needs faithful and holy families in order to produce saints, without which the world would cease to exist.

I got this from here: [url="http://www.childrenofmary.net/vocations.shtml"]http://www.childreno...vocations.shtml[/url] (Children of Mary)

There's some more good information about this topic if you go to the link.

Edited by MarisStella

The objective superiority of consecrated life is a dogma of the Catholic faith.

Many well catechized people are ignorant of this fact. Religious communities, of course, have a vested interest in not being ignorant of it.

JennyAnne, I have been a Sister and when I was all of a sudden not, I felt that feeling of rejection and being less-than, and the total vacume of identity and understanding of who I was. It is a cliche to say time heals all wounds; in fact it does not. But as time passes God will continue to intervene in your life just as before, and each passing day will bear with it proof that His love for you endures.

God needs roses and God needs violets, and He does not love the violets less because the roses are more majestic. He needs people who have experienced rejection and alienation and can offer the wisdom of their experience in His service. If God lets you suffer more than anyone, it's because you are His favorite.

I have heard this debate before based upon Matthew 19: 10-12 ([url="http://www.usccb.org/bible/matthew/matthew19.htm"]http://www.usccb.org/bible/matthew/matthew19.htm[/url]). At this time, it was being argued with the word, "better" and not "higher," and someone explained this by stating that one is not "better" than the other. Rather, one is "more perfect" than the other.

cruciatacara

Look at it this way - not everyone was an apostle, but Jesus didn't die just for them. Not everyone can be a religious, but not every religious can be a priest either, and that is an even higher calling - a sacrament that affects the soul. St Paul talked about the different parts of the body - some get more honor or glory than other parts, that might be humble or unseen, but the whole organism benefits from something good or it all suffers from something bad. We might all want to be the 'highest' but isn't that really the wrong way to be thinking about this kind of thing?

As for the whole rejected by God, feeling unloved thing - you are experiencing a real nasty 'lie' and deep, down inside, you know it. It just hurts right now but that's actually a time of great possibility to grow in trust and love. Try reading the actual words of Jesus in the gospels and get a feel again of just how much God loves each and every one of us - no one is so 'special' that God doesn't love them. Talk to Jesus one to one in private and let Him know how you are feeling, but then make an act of love and one of faith - telling Him that even though you can't feel it right now, you want to believe that He loves you and is taking care of you. It will help.

I'm sure you are in everyone's prayers too.

God loves every single person to absolute abandon and no person more or less than any other. It is the person who may love God more than the next and independant of their vocation in life, or rather not because of their vocation in life per se. It is a mystery why some are called to the priesthood and religious life and others not called though it may be their most ardent desire to be called to the higher, better or more perfect state, whatever adjective we care to give it. The fact that we have many saints who were neither religious nor priests and many priests and religious who were not saints, tells us that it holiness and sanctity is not about the vocation or state in life to which we are called. It tells us that holiness and sanctity is about the response of the person to God and His Will, not God's particular vocation and call for a person............ or all saints would only be priests or religious.
It can be a tremendous suffering in life to desire to be a priest or religious and simply not have the vocation - and a suffering that asks heroic conformity and embracing of God's Will. The makings of saints!

What we can be sure about is that God loves every single last one of us to absolute abandon - even the most lost in the moral order. Each of us has a vital and unique part to play in The Mystical Body and a unique part that only the person can fulfill. Every single nun and religious, priest and saint would not have existed without the Sacrament of Marriage for example. Without marriage, the human race would be headed for non existence.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

As for the single celibate state:
[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=32393"]http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=32393[/url]
"...................Throughout history the Church has fostered a celibate life in the lay state. Towering among the means of sanctity available to the laity, declared the Second Vatican Council, "is that precious gift of divine grace given to some by the Father to devote themselves to God alone more easily with an undivided heart in virginity or celibacy. This perfect continence for love of the kingdom of heaven has always been held in high esteem by the Church as a sign and stimulus of love, and as a singular source of spiritual fertility in the world" (Constitution on the Church, 42). "
[url="http://catholicexchange.com/2005/11/19/92623/"]http://catholicexchange.com/2005/11/19/92623/[/url]
"............Single vocation means that each person has a unique mission in life and that is why it is called single. The word single [Lat. [i]singulus[/i] (single)] means simple, unique. But it also means “unmarried.” Single men and women are called by God to serve the Church, the bride of Christ, to whom they are wedded from the moment they are baptized. Single vocation, therefore, means a unique call.

The Church needs lay Catholics who can dedicate themselves to their work and the spread of the Gospel while working in the world. Single laymen and laywomen have greater flexibility and time to do a variety of tasks and to help other families. Those who are called to live the single, celibate life should be encouraged and given moral support by the representatives of the ecclesiastical hierarchy, since every one is called to holiness. “What the soul is in the body, let Christians be in the world.” ([i]Lumen Gentium[/i], p. 396.)"

Each of the vocations has a particular part to play in God's Plan of Salvation and in the Mystical Body. Each of us has a unique role that only each of us in that role can fulfill.

<p>[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1314419451' post='2295686']</p>
<p>The objective superiority of consecrated life is a dogma of the Catholic faith.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Many well catechized people are ignorant of this fact. Religious communities, of course, have a vested interest in not being ignorant of it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>JennyAnne, I have been a Sister and when I was all of a sudden not, I felt that feeling of rejection and being less-than, and the total vacume of identity and understanding of who I was. It is a cliche to say time heals all wounds; in fact it does not. But as time passes God will continue to intervene in your life just as before, and each passing day will bear with it proof that His love for you endures.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>God needs roses and God needs violets, and He does not love the violets less because the roses are more majestic. He needs people who have experienced rejection and alienation and can offer the wisdom of their experience in His service. If God lets you suffer more than anyone, it's because you are His favorite.</p>
<p>[/quote]</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Great post - much insight!</p>
<p>I keep in prayer all those who have left religious life and the priesthood, as well as those who ardently desire these vocations but cannot follow through for some reason and suffer because of it. As well as all young people in the hope that we have holy and sound vocations to religious life, the priesthood and marriage, single celibacy, Church leadership, in the making.</p>
<div>[quote]
<p>If God lets you suffer more than anyone, it's because you are His favorite.</p>
[/quote]</div>
<p>Sirach Chapter 2:</p>
<p><font size="2">Accept whatever befalls you, in crushing misfortune be patient;<br />
5 For in fire gold is tested, and worthy men in the crucible of humiliation.<br />
6 Trust God and he will help you; make straight your ways and hope in him</font></p>
<p> </p>
<div>[quote]
<p><font size="2"> </font><font size="3">He needs people who have experienced rejection and alienation and can offer the wisdom of their experience in His service.</font></p>
<p>[/quote]</p>
<p> </p>
<p>(Can't get the format into a smaller size - sorry) So much wisdom in the above. As it is in being loved that we learn about love and in receiving mercy we learn about mercy, so it is in rejection and alientation that we learn compassion and understanding, empathy, for those who experience rejection and alienation.</p>
</div>

Edited by BarbaraTherese

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1314408765' post='2295611']

The priesthood and religious life are higher states in life. It is the actual state in life that is higher than any other state in life and this is an objective theological determination. The religious life is the "state of perfection". Objectively speaking it is the state of perfection. It is that state in life whose purpose is to achieve perfection with all the means to do so; hence, also, it makes greater demands and expectations of those thus called with all Graces necessary to live that higher call.

Subjectively speaking, nothing can be higher than God's Will - and nothing can be higher than God's Will for a person. God's Will, subjectively speaking could be said to be higher than the priesthood or religious life.

It is a mystery why some are called to the higher states and others not - although possibly it is only confusing to a person who is thinking in an individualistic type manner i.e. of self and desiring the best for self. We are the Mystical Body of Christ, some called to this function, others to that. It has nothing to do with being more or less loved, more or less better than anyone else. With our call and vocation comes all the Graces necessary to live that vocation, hence no credit to self whatever. A person can achieve great holiness and sanctity in any vocation whatsoever and holiness and sanctity ideally is our desire for self, which can alone be achieved by lovingly embracing God's Will in all things - while objectively speaking the priesthood and religious life are higher states in life. I guess if I am upset because I am not called to a higher state in life, then I do not grasp the great dignity of being called anywhere at all by God's Will and to lovingly embrace God's Will and all the duties of my state in life as God's Means of leading me to holiness along a particular path and of building up The Mystical Body of Christ on earth. If I am upset, then I have some growing to do in both understanding (knowledge) and in humility.

It could be said that only I can complete God's Task for me on earth and the same for us all. We are needed where we are called by God and needed there by Him in His Divine Plan of salvation.
[/quote]

This is a great post and everyone should read and re-read it to grasp what the Church teaches on this subject.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1314419451' post='2295686']
The objective superiority of consecrated life is a dogma of the Catholic faith.

Many well catechized people are ignorant of this fact. Religious communities, of course, have a vested interest in not being ignorant of it.

JennyAnne, I have been a Sister and when I was all of a sudden not, I felt that feeling of rejection and being less-than, and the total vacume of identity and understanding of who I was. It is a cliche to say time heals all wounds; in fact it does not. But as time passes God will continue to intervene in your life just as before, and each passing day will bear with it proof that His love for you endures.

God needs roses and God needs violets, and He does not love the violets less because the roses are more majestic. He needs people who have experienced rejection and alienation and can offer the wisdom of their experience in His service. If God lets you suffer more than anyone, it's because you are His favorite.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing, Lillabet. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know that someone understands.

Thanks to everyone for you answers.

Yeah, the religious state is objectively better. Meaning, it points to the heavenly reality of complete union with Christ.

Marriage is a sacrament, so it's an earthly version of love and unity that is beautiful and tells us a lot about God's love for himself. But...it's only 'until death.' There is no marriage in heaven.

However.

HOW you live out your vocation is what really matters. We're all called to be saints. If you're a miserable/unhappy religious, your vows aren't going to save you. Just as if you are a lousy spouse, no one's going to see your marriage as a symbol of God's love.

So...do what you can to become a saint. Be attentive to God's will for your life. Don't worry to much about wanting to be called to something 'better' - focus on what you [i]are [/i]called to.

God loves you, no matter what. There's nothing you can do to make him love you less....or more. Remember that.

[quote name='MarisStella' timestamp='1314418927' post='2295683']

"Today, the Lord gave me knowledge of His anger toward mankind which deserves to have its days shortened because of its sins. But I learned that the world's existence is maintained by chosen souls; that is, the religious orders. Woe to the world when there will be a lack of religious orders!" - diary, Dec. 1937, paragraph 1434 "[The] Child Jesus said to me, 'Look at the sky.' And when I looked at the sky I saw the stars and the moon shining. Then the child asked me, 'Do you see this moon and these stars?' When I said yes, he spoke these words to me, 'These stars are the souls of faithful Christians, and the moon is the souls of religious. Do you see how great the difference is between the light of the moon and the light of the stars? Such is the difference in heaven between the soul of a religious and the soul of a faithful Christian'." - diary, May 12, 1935, paragraph 424

[/quote]

Wow! I just read this from the post above. ouch! Doesn't that seem odd that one would be so much less for following God's will as a faithful Christian than as a religious? Isn't the whole point to do His Will? Why the big difference then? Is it possible that St. Faustina was just wrong about this?

[quote]The Catholic Church teaches, as dogma, that a consecrated life of celibacy is a superior calling than the married state, and should be preferred, if it is within the capacity and disposition of the soul to do so.

[url="http://www.religious-vocation.com/"]Source[/url]
[/quote]