Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stimulant Vs. Non-Stimulant Adhd Medicines


Recommended Posts

Posted

Mater, I'm going to by flying in a few weeks for a vAcation / retreat (non-vocational), and I have to take a decongestant like Sudafed for flying due to ear pain. Can I take Sudafed while on Wellbutrin, should I get on it? If not, what decongestant can I take?

Posted

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1315855435' post='2303886']
Mater, I'm going to by flying in a few weeks for a vAcation / retreat (non-vocational), and I have to take a decongestant like Sudafed for flying due to ear pain. Can I take Sudafed while on Wellbutrin, should I get on it? If not, what decongestant can I take?
[/quote]

As long as it is Sudafed PE, you are good. But if it is pseudoephedrine, it is not a good combination because it is a depressant and shouldn't be mixed.

Posted (edited)

I'm very happy. I was able to get an rx for generic Wellbutrin SR today to see how it goes on my ADHD, anxiety and depression. I have to fill it soon. He said he will start me at 150mg and then see if I need more later on.

I also got an rx for Piracetam which is great for dyslexia and learning/memory issues. He couldn't find it in his books so he had to look online. It's supposed to be available at specialty pharmacies so I will be trying one and hopefully I can get it. He said it might cause some nervousness, and so if it does, I'll probably be quitting it. I sure hope it goes okay.

Edited by JoyfulLife
ContemporaryCaflicCrusader
Posted

My doctor recommended Strattera the day it came out. Said it was made for people who need a non stimulent ADHD medication because Riddelin helped w/ ADHD, but made my Tourette Syndrome worse because the nature of riddelin being a stimulent.

Posted (edited)

But can those non-stimulants still cause nervousness, personality change, low mood, etc.?

I've been on generic Wellbutrin about a week now and I don't think it's helping my ADHD or anxiety, and I'm not sure about the depression. My anxiety might even be worse on it, and it gives me occasional palpitations. I'm thinking of asking for Prozac next time instead, as it's supposed to be good for anxiety, too. I would like to avoid the typical drowsy-causing anti-anxiety meds.

Edited by JoyfulLife
Posted

We plan to overcome this in our kids with spanking. :saint2:

Posted

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1316713992' post='2308573']
But can those non-stimulants still cause nervousness, personality change, low mood, etc.?

I've been on generic Wellbutrin about a week now and I don't think it's helping my ADHD or anxiety, and I'm not sure about the depression. My anxiety might even be worse on it, and it gives me occasional palpitations. I'm thinking of asking for Prozac next time instead, as it's supposed to be good for anxiety, too. I would like to avoid the typical drowsy-causing anti-anxiety meds.
[/quote]

You really cannot accurately gauge the medication's effectiveness after only being on it for 1 week. It takes at least a month for any psychiatric medications to reach therapeutic levels in your bloodstream. Barring any severe side effects, you should definitely try to give it more time to work before asking your doctor to switch you to something else.

Posted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1316827216' post='2309095']

You really cannot accurately gauge the medication's effectiveness after only being on it for 1 week. It takes at least a month for any psychiatric medications to reach therapeutic levels in your bloodstream. Barring any severe side effects, you should definitely try to give it more time to work before asking your doctor to switch you to something else.
[/quote]

That sounds like what he will probably tell me, too. :)

Posted (edited)

Mater, do you have much experience with anxiety medications? Are there one-a-day meds? Do any have no or little drowsiness (and what if taking a super tiny dose)? How well do they work?

Edited by JoyfulLife
Posted (edited)

[quote][url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=2309274"][img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_images/phatmass/snapback.png[/img][/url]JoyfulLife, on 24 September 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:


Mater, do you have much experience with anxiety medications? Are there one-a-day meds? Do any have no or little drowsiness (and what if taking a super tiny dose)? How well do they work?[/quote]


Unfortunately, I don't know much about anti-anxiety medications. I've been on the same one ever since I was diagnosed back in 1999 -- Ativan 1mg. I usually break it in half and take it only when necessary. It's in the class of medications called benzodiazepines. Benzos do cause drowsiness. The most commonly known (besides Ativan, which can be used for seizures and sleep) are Xanax Valium. I know of no prescription anti-anxiety medicine that does not cause drowsiness -- even non-benzos. Benzos have a high risk of addiction, especially Xanax.

I've been fortunate in that the Wellbutrin works so good for me that it significantly decreases my anxiety and, therefore, I take less Ativan. :)

If you're interested in trying an alternative, natural solution, there are some things like homeopathics or supplements that are used for anxiety:

[url="http://www.bachflower.com/Rescue_Remedy.htm"]Bach Rescue Remedy[/url]

[url="http://www.hylands.com/products/calms.php"]Hyland's Calms[/url]

[url="http://socialanxietydisorder.about.com/od/treatmentoptions/p/valerianroot.htm"]Valerian Root[/url]

[url="http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/lavender-000260.htm"]Lavender Aromatherapy[/url]

[url="http://www.hylands.com/products/nervetonic.php"]Hyland's Nerve Tonic[/url]

I've tried the Bach Rescue Remedy when I worked at a health food store. It works pretty well. The Calms works well on some and not-at-all on others, so you would have to try it yourself. Homeopathic meds do not interact with any medication. However, you should discuss all options with your healthcare provider beforehand. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Posted (edited)

Pax Domine,
I am no doctor but allow me to chuck my 2 cents into the ring, i heard dex-amphetamein(or however it iz written) is best. Though new research shows an increased natural diet is great as well, eg.more fruit and vege and fresh meat,sounds expensive i know but so are meds. I believe this recent research combined with meds would be best ir lower dose meds higher dose fresh,and the reason fresh works best is that with chemical imbalances in the brain or emotional disorders(assumably both a chemical imbalance) your body needs lots of energy to fight the illness and can not fight it properly while adding all these other chemicals in processed food to our bodies because it has to put more energy into digesting these mixed chemical compounds which would be better used fighting the illness, even more so fresh if you have hepatitis,aids or diabetes as well as an emotional or psychiatric disorder. If you would like to talk more on this matter,hit me up. But thats about as far as my understanding goes on such matters.

God bless you all.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye
Posted (edited)

I read about Kava Kava being good for anxiety.

I had to use Ativan/Lorazapam when I had an anxiety/panic attack years ago, which went away after some time after the situation in my life passed. It was the only thing that relaxed me and allowed me to sleep. They only gave me a few pills though. It sure relaxed me, but I think it was a little drowsy causing.

It's hard for me because I'm feeling a little tense/anxious all the time, with worry at times, so I don't think it would work taking something at times.

Edited by JoyfulLife
Mark of the Cross
Posted

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1316998532' post='2310147']
I read about Kava Kava being good for anxiety.

I had to use Ativan/Lorazapam when I had an anxiety/panic attack years ago, which went away after some time after the situation in my life passed. It was the only thing that relaxed me and allowed me to sleep. They only gave me a few pills though. It sure relaxed me, but I think it was a little drowsy causing.

It's hard for me because I'm feeling a little tense/anxious all the time, with worry at times, so I don't think it would work taking something at times.
[/quote]
The reason they only gave you a few pills is that Ativan is a benzo and should only be used for short periods preferably less than two weeks as they are addictive. You also become immune to their effects and require increasingly heavier doses for the same efficacy. Could be wrong but I seem to remember some pretty nasty things with Kava users!

I am horrified at the number of people here reporting with issues. Are you really all having clinical conditions or are doctors over diagnosing normal conditions? From my experience I would not recommend any drug that effects the brain function unless the person was in dire trouble . They are extremely dangerous!!! Firstly, drugs effect various functions in different ways at different times. Many depressed patients are too depressed and anxious to act on suicidal thoughts. Drugs often fire up peoples noradrenalin systems first, causing a surge in anxiety which makes people feels that it's all too much. They also get agitated which motivates them to act on the suicidal thoughts. There is an extremely high rate of suicide among people using AD's!! The greedy drug companies and not so clever Dr's blame the persons illness. Next the high rate of awful side effects are often worse than the condition they are treating. Lastly the discontinuation effects of AD's are sheer hell. From experience I can tell you it can take up to six months to ween off an SSRI or similar and a further year for the discontinuation to wear off. And the reason I went off was because they had not only lost efficacy but were actually making me worse and eventually caused a catastrophic nervous breakdown. I am pretty sure that long term use 10years plus, for me, causes permanent brain alterations. The reason I say this is because new research has revealed that Paxil can have instant short term efficacy for some people, but when I did an experiment it was totally different to my first reaction like totally non!! and other natural remedies like Tryptophan which used to give a brief efficacy no longer have any effect. Fortunately on the bright side my depression has so far become normal or non existent and the anxiety is manageable without medical intervention. Also beware of the sexual side effects. Drugs often kill libido and end in divorce or betrayal by partner or alternatively turn a normally moral chaste person into a sexual addict. Finally don't use a drug on someone else's recommendation, everyone is different. Ones man's meat is another man's poison literally!

Exercise- lots and lots, but work up to it, don't over do things and older people especially do non joint destruct ones like swimming, biking or maybe hiking. Occasional multivitamin when feeling particularly low. Personally the ones that dissolve in water give a quick hit. I take fish oil can't say if it helps or not but doesn't hurt. Most importantly prayer and trust in God!

Posted (edited)

I do swimming, and sometimes walking and biking, but it's limited due to my fatigue issue and poor exertion level. I've sent in my forms to a specialist and I'm waiting to hear back to set-up an appointment.

I don't like medicines either, but I use them as a last resort. I ended up getting off the ADHD medicine due to side-effects.

Mater, have you or anyone here tried "Buspar"? I've read many great comments about it helping anxiety without side-effects; and some people had side-effects, and some others found it didn't help at all. It's a special anti-anxiety medicine without the risk of dependence. The Wellbutrin hasn't been helping my anxiety still, and I don't think it's a matter of time to work because it does seem to help the depression. I don't have many options for anxiety medication as the benzos are very sedating and only for emergencies.

Edited by JoyfulLife

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...