Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who On Here Has Donated Blood?


Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1316030430' post='2304689']

My mom is a nurse so I want to talk to her about it. She didn't even know I was going to do it because I didn't want to tell I was going to in case I backed out which is what happened. But now I want to talk to her and see if she knows a good place and see if she's willing to take me. I'm just afraid that if I couldn't face it this time, I'll never be able to. And I want to be able to. Do they let Nuns do it if they want to?
[/quote]

Thats a good idea to talk to your mum.

Its actually a question I want to ask SrMJ! I didn't ask at Q as we were in a very isolated location and it was a fair drive to the doctors, and I don't know if they even held sessions there. But NH had a big medical centre at the end of the road and I am 99% sure they hold sessions there so I would like to continue donating if I can.

Posted

If you're a real trooper (and enjoy movies) you can graduate to platelet donations! They hook you up to an apherisis machine, which fiddlers platelets and plasma and sends your red/white blood cells and whatever else back into you. Since the whole process takes about two hours, you get to relax and enjoy a movie while the machine goes to work. I've seen a lot of movies at the Red Cross over the past several years :)

FutureSister2009
Posted

It's definitely something I want to attempt again before I go into the Convent. Clearly giving my hair is less complicated and less painful. I remember my hairdresser was like "Are you ready?" and I'm like "Yeah!" Not like those women on TV that haven't had a hair cut in 10 years who cry over it.

Posted

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1316029385' post='2304670']
I chickened out. I feel so horrible. I was thinking all day that I couldn't do it and then I thought maybe I can do it but then at the last second, I decided I just couldn't. I feel like the most selfish person in the world. I wanted this to help me overcome my selfishness and maybe grow up a little. I'm putting my own comfort before the lives of others. I really did want to do it and I was even thinking all day yesterday that I was going to do it. I still want to but my anxiety is so high that it would probably be bad if I did it. I just feel so bad. Go ahead,call me selfish, call me a coward. I know it's true
[/quote]
try again :)

Posted

As MLKolbe said, Try again. Talk your mom into going with you as support personnel. Make her take you to lunch afterward.

Posted

You're building it way out of proportion. My nephew has leukemia - he has had needles stuck into him since he was five years old - taking things out and putting things back in.... if a five year old can do all that, you can give a little blood. what? Have you never had a blood test before or an injection? It isn't any worse than that!

You will feel a lot better about yourself if you try again and succeed... but do take a partner with you to help you get through it.

Think of all the little kids you might help with your blood!!!!

Posted

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1316093981' post='2305001']

You will feel a lot better about yourself if you try again and succeed... but do take a partner with you to help you get through it.

Think of all the little kids you might help with your blood!!!!
[/quote]

It's just a little pinch. I can guarentee that almost everyone has felt worse pain at some point in their life. Papercuts hurt worse than the needle. I've given blood as often as I can ever since I was 17. I had to wait a while because I got tattoos but I went again for the first time in years just last month and it was so rewarding. Plus who can argue with free juice and cookies afterwards?! I drank a TON of water the 48 hours before my donation and ate plenty of iron and I was fine :) I was cracking jokes with the ARC staff the whole time!

Posted

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1316001288' post='2304542']

It depends on what blood giving district you live in. The NYC district allows those who live in Europe to donate--my friend's mother can donate there, but she can't donate in NJ because NJ doesn't allow it. It's really strange.
[/quote]

That's interesting. Maybe I'll try again if I ever end up going to NYC.Thanks for letting me know. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...